Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Set up home file server with linux

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

What's the question? I can edit photos "directly" on the server, but network speed is the limiting factor anyway.

That article is from 2012... ubuntu is and was safer than any proprietary system when it comes to spying you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

PrzemoF wrote: »
    What's the question? I can edit photos "directly" on the server, but network speed is the limiting factor anyway.

That article is from 2012... ubuntu is and was safer than any proprietary system when it comes to spying you.
    i did not know you could edit on the server. Does the editing program have to be on the server?
    What's the question?
    if it would be too slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ubuntu is perfectly safe, within the usual caveats. You'll probably be using something like Samba to serve the machine's local storage via the network via the usual protocols - SFTP/HTTP(S)/SMB - and it should be all the same to any program running on a client where the files physically reside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

i did not know you could edit on the server. Does the editing program have to be on the server?

if it would be too slow

You could explore remote access, but for movie editing you don't really want anything that is not local unless you want to play with something like infiniband [1] or 10Gb ethernet.

[1] http://www.davidhunt.ie/infiniband-at-home-10gb-networking-on-the-cheap/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Thanks guys @that david hunt link is amazing, bit beyond me i think though

• Advertisement
Advertisement