Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midterm Oct 2017

Options
  • 30-01-2017 7:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello people.

I see the Dept haven't officially released the school year for next year yet (from what I can see). I'm trying to organise a school tour and can get very cheap flights right now so would love to know when the October midterm is. I see the 27th is a Friday. I presume that's it? Are we always off for Halloween?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

dory wrote: »
    Hello people.

I see the Dept haven't officially released the school year for next year yet (from what I can see). I'm trying to organise a school tour and can get very cheap flights right now so would love to know when the October midterm is. I see the 27th is a Friday. I presume that's it? Are we always off for Halloween?

Thanks!

Midterm is whatever week has the bankholiday

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

OH of course! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How do u know about price of flights as travel agents always get a different deal for a group irrespective of the online price (which you are not allowed to use)

P.s. Where are u thinking of going?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

TheDriver wrote: »
    How do u know about price of flights as travel agents always get a different deal for a group irrespective of the online price (which you are not allowed to use)

P.s. Where are u thinking of going?

What do you mean not allowed to use?? We're going to India. Have been doing it since 2000 and always book online (well, in recent years!). It's not official school business. And there are no students involved this time (long story!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i thought you meant a school tour involving students which means you must use a bonded travel agent to do all the bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

TheDriver wrote: »
    ..you must use a bonded travel agent to do all the bookings.

Is this a definite rule? The sister is in a public school and they missed out on a trip last year due to the terror attacks in Brussels. They booked flights and accommodation without an agent; managed to get a refund on the accommodation, but not on the flights.

It's rare that we go on trips abroad, but I know we organise our own football trips (generally not over-nighters).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Notorious wrote: »
    Is this a definite rule? The sister is in a public school and they missed out on a trip last year due to the terror attacks in Brussels. They booked flights and accommodation without an agent; managed to get a refund on the accommodation, but not on the flights.

It's rare that we go on trips abroad, but I know we organise our own football trips (generally not over-nighters).

There's a letter on the go from the Commission for Aviation regulation via the department regarding bonding and monies being paid directly etc.

Personally, for European and further trips, having the services of a travel agent and rep on the tour makes a huge difference and is worth the small amount extra. Our ETB insists that we follow the rule for tours but we are allowed to book flights directly for language exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I think that even if you book with a bonded travel agent you would only get the flights refunded if there was an actual Travel Advisory from the Dept. of Foreign Affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

RH149 wrote: »
    I think that even if you book with a bonded travel agent you would only get the flights refunded if there was an actual Travel Advisory from the Dept. of Foreign Affairs.

I think you're right but if a supplier goes tits up you're covered?

Advertisement