Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cz .270 for first deer rifle?????

Options
  • 30-01-2017 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Lads im looking to buy a deer rifle and i know where there is a cz .207. Been shooting for years and have a .17hmr and a shotgun. Just looking for some advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

podz_101 wrote: »
    Lads im looking to buy a deer rifle and i know where there is a cz .207. Been shooting for years and have a .17hmr and a shotgun. Just looking for some advice. Thanks

Do you mean cz .270?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Chiparus wrote: »
    Do you mean cz .270?

If so you've opened a hornets nest.
    I'm in the market for another centre fire and was mulling over .308 or 30-06. During my journey of discovery I've stumbled on the .270 win. Not my initial choice or fancy based on the usual scuttlebutt. But my mind was changed by a few things, one main item I'll keep under my hat until latter.
    I forget that I had used one before overseas, a Mauser which didn't fit me, but firing it in anger I didn't find it to be a beast or too much of a belter. Now personnel experience over, research shows that this is an excellent round, very flat shooting, and the 130gr is comparable to the 30-06 150gr as is the 150gr to its parent case 180gr. It's a good medium to long range round just piped by the 30-06 at the long range end. But devastating as a medium range and was know as the Highlands Round for many years. It is consistently the secound most popular round in the US after the 30-06 and has out lived any variations of it or close contenders. A quick trawl of the gun dealers shelves may not turn up a vast array of .270 rounds but the standard 130 & 150 can be found in enough brands to match most known models.
    You're going to be advised on everything from .243, 6.5, .308 and the venerable 30-06. Arguments for the .243 will tell you they'll drop every species of deer here and they will, my freezer is testament to that. Then it will be flat shooting this and ammo availability that etc all valid points, but to be honest if this round tickles your fancy get it. I'm in the position to buy another centre fire for deer and I fancy something different, am I going to be target shooting with it , hell NO I've been on the receiving end of bench zeroing some heavy hitters and that's all I'll be doing, zeroing, those bigger calibres are pussys' in the field but bitches to bench rest. If all goes well this .270 will be my hill gun and taken out for the occasional walk in the wood dressed only in its sling and scope.
    If you want a rifle that you'll want to shoot regularly or with long shot strings then maybe not the .270, but as a stalking rifle its excellent. It will be suitable for any large game in Europe and African plains game.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 podz_101

thanks i just see one for sale and its a bit cheaper than the rest so im going to have a look at it and see.

yes sorry a .270

I have a 270 hunting rifle and a 308 SSG , previously had a 6.6X55 - I find I use the 270 less and less, sure it knocks everything down, but it has a hell of a kick.

Talk to as many shooters as possible , but I would recommend 6.5., 243 or 308 as a first deer rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Chiparus, what make and model .270 did you have, was it a light weight rifle, barrel length etc. I'm interested in the 130gr ammunition, can you recommend a brand / s.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I have a 270 hunting rifle and a 308 SSG , previously had a 6.6X55 - I find I use the 270 less and less, sure it knocks everything down, but it has a hell of a kick.

Talk to as many shooters as possible , but I would recommend 6.5., 243 or 308 as

Thanks ya im going to have look in knocknagoshel tommorow evening and see what they have

Chiparus, what make and model .270 did you have, was it a light weight rifle, barrel length etc. I'm interested in the 130gr ammunition, can you recommend a brand / s.

Steyr, half wood stock .270, still have it , put a couple of thousand rounds through it .
    Still very accurate .
    I generally use 130gn , reloaded myself when overseas, but mostly use PPU in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sixgun

yes sorry a .270
    Had .270 for many years, excellent round, highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

I have a 270 for my first deer rifle, brilliant. Drops everything, close in or at distance. Using 130gr sst hornady. Have a mod on mine, not sure I,d like it without. Remember if you take 2 shots in a day on the hill, so shoulder isn't an issue. Happy 1st season when you get started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

Hi podz 101. When I was going for my first deer calibre I wanted a 6.5x55 but listening to people I went for a tikka 243 and I love it. Must say I couldn't fault it. I have a 223 Remington the hole kit . That I will be selling as I don't use it anymore because the 243 does the vermin control on foxes and takes down any deer. So I hope you ask plenty of questions to Liam in knocknagosel he won't wrong you at all.. Gets a lot of stuff of him.. Keep us posted cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Excellent round.
    My experience with them was the absolute flattening of feral pigs at 100 to 200 yards.
    Totally demolished 200lb hogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

My experience of a .270 is a bit mixed. Absolutely brilliant round, good ballistics and hard hitting. I fired the rounds from a lightweight un-moderated stalking rifle though, Sako 75 Hunter, and the recoil was very, very unpleasant. Scope eye a few times.

The .270 in a stalking rifle weight, without a moderator, will have stiff recoil. If that's cool with you and you know that going into any potential purchase then it is a great round and won't let you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Howdy

I have a CZ550 .270. I got some semi custom work done - bolt and stock and think its a lovely rifle - nice weight and very accurate. I generally shoot 130 grain but have also used 150.

Main point as per some other posters is that .270 is a heavy hitter but also a heavy recoiler. Not an issue in terms of shoulder but it is for flinching, scope placement etc...

I have a Nielson moderator on it and the difference it makes you wouldn't believe. I can use a nice soft grip and really enjoy making the shot rather than preparing myself.

.308 is slightly lower recoil but I wouldn't class it as significant - you can check the tables online if you like.

To sum up

.270 plus mod is a great setup especially as you can generally pick up a used one cheap
    without mod (and I include .308 here) I don't love it.

cheers

Advertisement