Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Negative people occupying space in brain

• 30-01-2017 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

How does one stop negative people occupying space in one's brain?

I'm talking about people one thought were friends but were really drinking acquaintances. People who would make cutting personal comments and when challenged, respond with "sure I'm only messing with ya! Just having a laugh! Lighten up!" (which I now realise in hindsight is the standard defense of the bully when challenged.)

I have basically cut these people out of my life barring maybe a once a year meet-up if even that, but they still occupy space in my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Dont engage with them even once a year. A nd when you feel yourself thinking about yhem try to think of something else. You've done great to cut them out as much as you have they don't sound like good friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Do they talk to each other that way too or are they singling you out? If youre the only one they give these cutting remarks to then leaving them behind you for good is the way to go, theyre only involving you so you can be the butt of jokes and a punching bag so they can passive aggressively relieve their frustrations. I had a group of friends years ago that used to do this, they'd invite a guy they didnt like to every party and night out just to rip into him, he was like their little entertainment for the night and when he'd speak up they'd tell him to 'learn to take a joke'.

If they all make fun of eachother then it could just be their humour and how they interact, they might not see any harm in it but if youve mentioned it to them that it makes you uncomfortable and they continue to do it id still leave them behind, if thats the case then no ones really at fault here, youre just not compatible with these people and need to find friends that are more suited to you.

Best thing to do is cut contact and stop thinking about them/things theyve said. Focus on more positive aspects of your life and move on.

Advertisement