Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fascinating book

• 30-01-2017 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a great read-"The Rabbit Industry in Ireland 20th Century Snapshots", by Michael Conry ex AFT.

I had no idea that catching rabbits was such a huge part of the Irish economy back in the day, and that rabbits were a staple part of the Irish diet.
    It's most comprehensive, and of most interest are the stories, names and references as he goes through almost every county on the island. Really worth getting your hands on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I heard it reviewed on radio ( Newstalk, I think!) and it sounded great. I wrote down the title that I would buy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My late Uncle told me once, when he was a boy in the late 1930s, sending off a postal order to a shop in Dublin for a ferret. It was dispatched by train to the local station, seven miles away. Rabbits were sent back by the same method to a game dealer in Dublin.

He a!so described building a "trolling board" a shaped wooden plank five feet long that steered itself out into a lake from the shore, with half a dozen dead baits attached on long lines for pike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭kk.man

My father God be good to him, used to name a few locally who made their fortune in rabbits during that time and around WW2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

kk.man wrote: »
    My father God be good to him, used to name a few locally who made their fortune in rabbits during that time and around WW2.

Yea a neighbour in his eighties always says they would've starved as children only for catching rabbits, huge changes in a lifetime isn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭Base price

rangler1 wrote: »
    Yea a neighbour in his eighties always says they would've starved as children only for catching rabbits, huge changes in a lifetime isn't it
    Rabbits were a regular in my house in the early 90's when the interest rates sky rocketed. My salary just about covered the mortgage repayments while cattle prices slumped. We also reared pet kids and lambs for the table.
    I hate skinning rabbits but do enjoy eating them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Nekarsulm wrote:
    He a!so described building a "trolling board" a shaped wooden plank five feet long that steered itself out into a lake from the shore, with half a dozen dead baits attached on long lines for pike.

Have seen one used for trout.called an otter board around here.board with artificial flies attached.theyre illegal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

My mother used to snare rabbits when she was a kid. Wish I knew more about it but it's too late now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Bog Man 1

This is the piece of the rabbit that was originally brought into Ireland to spread Myxomatosis . It did not work and it took a second importation for it to take hold . It was then spread by distributing diseased rabbits and bits of rabbits .

DSC_0271.jpg
    My father got letters and requests from all over the country looking for diseased rabbits .

010-6.jpg

007-5.jpg

He kept records of who got rabbits or Relics which is the word he used for bits of rabbits .

005-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

He kept all the cuttings from the papers at the time and we still have them .

DSC_0265.jpg

016-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    My late Uncle told me once, when he was a boy in the late 1930s, sending off a postal order to a shop in Dublin for a ferret. It was dispatched by train to the local station, seven miles away. Rabbits were sent back by the same method to a game dealer in Dublin.

Also known as an Otter Board.

This books sounds good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    This is the piece of the rabbit that was originally brought into Ireland to spread Myxomatosis . It did not work and it took a second importation for it to take hold . It was then spread by distributing diseased rabbits and bits of rabbits .

My father got letters and requests from all over the country looking for diseased rabbits .

[

He kept records of who got rabbits or Relics which is the word he used for bits of rabbits .

]

If you don't mind me asking Bog man, what was your fathers role? Was he in the Dept?

What happened first - the decline of catching and eating rabbits and then the mexxie to control rabbit population?
    Or did the introduction of mexxie kill the catching, eating and export market?

Edit : I suppose I should just buy the book and find out really :)

If you don't mind me asking Bog man, what was your fathers role? Was he in the Dept?

What happened first - the decline of catching and eating rabbits and then the mexxie to control rabbit population?
    Or did the introduction of mexxie kill the catching, eating and export market?

Edit : I suppose I should just buy the book and find out really :)

It was illegal to bring it in or spread it . My father eegit as he was got the blame but there was many more involved . Paddy O Keeffe and a few other movers and shakers were involved . In every secret society there is always some eegit that writes everything down .
    Michael Conrys books are very interesting and as a young scientist travelling around he had the wisdom to interview people who are now 50 years dead .

http://www.conry-michael-books.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

According to your man's list, Van Der Bergh was a TRAITOR! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭TalkingBull

Esel wrote: »
    According to your man's list, Van Der Bergh was a TRAITOR! :)
    i saw that too, must have been one of them early EU officials tryin to put a stop to legitimate business ha :P

Advertisement