Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large bill for useless hospital, what rights if any do I have?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

First of all I would thought the dogs on the street know the Beacon is a Private clinic.

That aside, the OP has no rights in this situation as far as I ca see. They availed of the service, they can't just refuse to pay for it.

He has the right to be told, if they didn't do this then he should complain. To say he has no rights is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Lux23 wrote: »
    He has the right to be told, if they didn't do this then he should complain. To say he has no rights is wrong.

Fair enough but he still can't just refuse to pay for a service he willingly availed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Which I already explained. But you never know, as a gesture of good will they may reduce the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Which I already explained. But you never know, as a gesture of good will they may reduce the bill.

Why should he pay for a bad service? Like any other service. A consultant tried to bill me a full consultant fee to tell me everything was ok, it took him less than 2 minutes, I didn't have time to sit down, I could have telephoned save losing time from work. I had already paid the initial fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

DanWall wrote: »
    Why should he pay for a bad service? Like any other service. A consultant tried to bill me a full consultant fee to tell me everything was ok, it took him less than 2 minutes, I didn't have time to sit down, I could have telephoned save losing time from work. I had already paid the initial fee.

Would you feel that you got better value for money if he told you that you had an incurable disease? You paid for his expertise, he had to interpret the diagnostic information and inform you of the findings.

Do you think they should only charge when they give you bad news?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

DanWall wrote: »

It would have taken him more than 2 minutes to review your file to tell you that you are OK. Or would you rather they only check your file when you are actually sitting in front of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Again, why should they?

They've done nothing wrong. The consultant merely told the OP something other than what he was expecting, something far better by the sounds of it.

Since when is that a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

The second hospital you attended will send you a bill as well. Usually around €100. Sometimes delayed, but it will get to you via post eventually, followed soon after by threats of debt collection and solicitors.

Plus you paid the second doctors fee, probably around €60?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

wandererz wrote: »
    The second hospital you attended will send you a bill as well. Usually around €100. Sometimes delayed, but it will get to you via post eventually, followed soon after by threats of debt collection and solicitors.

Plus you paid the second doctors fee, probably around €60?

If the second doctor referred the OP to the public hospital out-patient dept, then there would be no hospital charge.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    If the second doctor referred the OP to the public hospital out-patient dept, then there would be no hospital charge.

Just a two year wait.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

davo10 wrote: »
    Just a two year wait.

That very much depends. A referral for an ultrasound can be a matter of just weeks, depending on location.

Quackster wrote: »
    That very much depends. A referral for an ultrasound can be a matter of just weeks, depending on location.

For a condition which is not urgent, the referral would be at the bottom of the pile, it would first go to the orthopaedic dep (longest hospital waiting lists) t and then its urgency would be assessed.

Advertisement