Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - TCP port 7547 - Vulnerability

Options
  • 30-01-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

After a check of my network, the port 7547 is currently open, and we are not allowed to close it.

This port is used for a remote control protocol, and could be targeted by Mirai Malware.

More details : ISC Infosec Forum

So currently, I could be find with Shodan (and probably a lot of your customers)

Could you escalate this security issue ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kind regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

sqdz wrote: »
    Hi,

After a check of my network, the port 7547 is currently open, and we are not allowed to close it.

This port is used for a remote control protocol, and could be targeted by Mirai Malware.

More details : ISC Infosec Forum

So currently, I could be find with Shodan (and probably a lot of your customers)

Could you escalate this security issue ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kind regards,
    Hi  sqdz,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can you advise what modem you are using?

Thanks,
    Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sqdz

Hi Pamela,

My modem : Eircom F1000

And after a scan, it's the same thing for the model TR-609

Kind regards,

Sqdz'

lag

lag

lag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Willbo

Same Story here, port 7547 open!!!!

SECURITY ISSUE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This has been previously addressed. The original FW should have been provisioned to listen to one range only so anything other than Eirs management gateway could connect but alas...
    Eir is to contact 130,000 of its broadband customers by email and letter to advise them to reset their modems because of a security concern.

It follows the discovery that the customers' routers are vulnerable to infection by a form of computer virus, and that at least 2,000 have been breached.

The supplier of the routers informed Eir of the vulnerability on 22 November.

They've abandoned Zyxel now (finally). Call and request an F2000(Huawei).

Hi Pamela,

Kind regards,

Sqdz'
    I have queried this with the technical team  sqdz and they have advised that the purpose of this port is to allow for firmware updates and remote access by technical support only when troubleshooting broadband issues. This is password protected to ensure maximum security. 

Thanks,
    Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

Kind regards,

Sqdz'
    I have queried this with the technical team  sqdz and they have advised that the purpose of this port is to allow for firmware updates and remote access by technical support only when troubleshooting broadband issues. This is password protected to ensure maximum security. 

Thanks,
    Pamela 
    ED E : I'm a new customer (~ 5 months), I think I make a mistake and the last model eircom F2000

@Pamela
    Close the port is probably better than a "password protection".

Why this port is open for Eircom, and not the others ISP ? How they do ? what could you do to fix it ?

Article : 
    - The hacker news 
    - ARS Technica
    - IS Preview

Quote IS Preview :
    The attack started by hitting Eir in Ireland and then Deutsche Telekom’s etc.

So far none of BTSky Broadband or Virgin Media’s kit has been affected, although ISPs would be wise to pay attention to this threat and liaise with their partners in order to ensure that the firmware on their customer router(s) is not at risk

Hi Pamela,

Kind regards,

Sqdz'

Thanks,
    Pamela 
    ED E : I'm a new customer (~ 5 months), I think it's a mistake and I have your last model eircom F2000

@Pamela
    Sorry Pamela, it's not against you, but the company.

Close the port is probably better than a "password protection".

Why this port is open for Eircom, and not the others ISP ? How they do ? what could you do to fix it ?

Article : 
    - The hacker news 
    - ARS Technica
    - IS Preview

Quote IS Preview :
    The attack started by hitting Eir in Ireland and then Deutsche Telekom’s etc.

So far none of BTSky Broadband or Virgin Media’s kit has been affected, although ISPs would be wise to pay attention to this threat and liaise with their partners in order to ensure that the firmware on their customer router(s) is not at risk

---

So you know this issue, but it's still there... Maybe it could be great to make a scan and help your customers ?

[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]If someone got this worm, Eircom will be responsible, not the customer.. [/font]
    This port needs to be open to allow for remote access and updating firmware sqdzOur remote access system allows for us to log into a modem from the eir Admin network. The system basically creates a secure handshake (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069) with the modem and polls it for information. A unique one-time password (OTP) is generated for logging into a modem remotely. Whenever a new key is generated, the pre-existing one expires and becomes invalid. The only way to remotely log into the Huawei F2000 modem is by using our own technical support username and the OTP. It is not currently possible to log in as the default “admin” user from outside of the local network.

You would have the option to use a third party modem should you be unhappy yo continue to use an eir modem. We would be unable to provide support on this I'm afraid should you choose to use third party equipment.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
Advertisement