Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasant Meat

Options
  • 30-01-2017 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

A quick question.

I'm just butchering a pheasant I hung up in the shed over night. There is a very strong smell of the leg meat. Its hard to explain but its not a very pleasant smell. But there is no smell whatsoever of the breast meat.

Is it normal to have a strong smell. Sorry its my first time dealing with pheasant I'm more used to cleaning and chopping up rabbits. I really don't want to chuck it as far as I know it might be perfectly normal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Is it only a day dead? If not the natural juices from the intestine can be leaking out around the leg, if hung by the neck. Was there much internal damage to the intestines, if so you may have leakage from the anal vent as above regardless of how long dead. In both cases you'll see discoloration - bile green, blackening around meat areas badly contaminated by gastric juices.

Is there much shot damage around the legs etc excessive brusing or pooling of blood can taint meat.

One last thing even though its been cold out actual temps are still quite mild, it's 10-11C at present, make sure the meat is not turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

Is it only a day dead? If not the natural juices from the intestine can be leaking out around the leg, if hung by the neck. Was there much internal damage to the intestines, if so you may have leakage from the anal vent as above regardless of how long dead. In both cases you'll see discoloration - bile green, blackening around meat areas badly contaminated by gastric juices.

Is there much shot damage around the legs etc excessive brusing or pooling of blood can taint meat.

One last thing even though its been cold out actual temps are still quite mild, it's 10-11C at present, make sure the meat is not turning.

There wasn't a huge amount of damage to the intestines or there didn't seem to be. All the guts came out clean in my hand most of the damage seemed to be around the breast. There was damage to one of his legs but both legs smell the same even the good one

But there is no discoloration or any visible signs it was tainted. My worry is what you are saying about the temperature it may of been to high last night to leave it in the shed. The meat looks perfect there is just a bit of a smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

When was it shot and how was it stored before your shed?
    If it was left warm in a game bag in the back of the car with 'stuff' piled on top it may have began to turn.

But then again game birds can be strong in flavour etc regardless of length of time hanging, it all depends on their feed etc. If their picking around piles of manure or in and out of rape you may just be picking up a residual 'pong' off them. The ducks out here from the estuary taste and smell like the estuary, while the ones I shoot inland, same species, are sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

When was it shot and how was it stored before your shed?
    If it was left warm in a game bag in the back of the car with 'stuff' piled on top it may have began to turn.

But then again game birds can be strong in flavour etc regardless of length of time hanging, it all depends on their feed etc. If their picking around piles of manure or in and out of rape you may just be picking up a residual 'pong' off them. The ducks out here from the estuary taste and smell like the estuary, while the ones I shoot inland, same species, are sweet!

It was shot yesterday afternoon. We left it hanging from a tree for about an hour because we were a good distance from the car so it was only in the boot of the car for about 20-30 mins. Then it went straight to the shed and hung there for 24hrs.

I think Ill cross my fingers and chance it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Maybe it was previously injured?
    With gangrene in the affected tissue?

• Advertisement
Advertisement