Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimate

Options
  • 30-01-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

We have a double garage attached to our house. It's two story. We'd love to convert the upstairs part into two rooms and a bathroom as it's just wasted space at the moment.

From my investigations I think it would need to be slabbed, insultated, divided into two rooms and a bathroom, wired and piped.

It's 700 square feet and structurally sound. I've attached a picture. That third mini floor is been removed.

I'd love to convert it now but realistically I don't want to start the process because I know we can't afford it at the moment. However, just to curb my curiousity has anyone any experience on costing this type of job?

Oh and we would need to knock a doorway into the garage from the main house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

What about planning permission??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

macadam wrote: »

I'd get an engineer to draw up plans and try and see can he get it to regulation also talk to them about your options if you didn't go for planning as it can be hard to get depending on your roof, don't let it stop you though.
    Depending on what you want up there I'd say anywhere between 20 to 45k if you want 2 bedrooms and a toilet.
    It all depends on the strength of the existing floor, heating system, insulation etc.
    It could be well under 20k if when it was being built somebody had planned for the future.
    The Toilet and Stairs alone you could loose 8k + easy if you need them. It doesn't be long totting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭starface

macadam wrote: »

Double garage is attached to the house. No structural change needed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

starface wrote: »
    Double garage is attached to the house. No structural change needed.

Planning and structural changes are not inter connected.
    You may still require planning depending on the area of change.

Advertisement