Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ixoy wrote: »
    That salary is poor by the standard of a US network, especially for a highly visible lead. Game of Thrones stars get $1 million an episode. Dropping down a tier, someone like Stephen Amell (Arrow) would get at least half a million a year.
    It's relevant because it'd show they'd never get certain actors who are now working in the US where they can earn a lot more.

I've always considered Who a role for a young-ish or relatively unknown actor looking to boost their profile or an older already established actor who is sort of past the ambitions of being a Hollywood mega star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭corkie

BBC Responds to 13th Doctor Complaints.

Since the first Doctor regenerated back in 1966, the concept of the Doctor as a constantly evolving being has been central to the programme. The continual input of fresh ideas and new voices across the cast and the writing and production teams has been key to the longevity of the series.

The Doctor is an alien from the planet Gallifrey and it has been established in the show that Time Lords can switch gender.

As the Controller of BBC Drama has said, Jodie is not just a talented actor but she has a bold and brilliant vision for her Doctor. She aced it in her audition both technically and with the powerful female life force she brings to the role. She is destined to be an utterly iconic Doctor.

We hope viewers will enjoy what we have in store for the continuation of the story.

Jodie Whittaker's unveiling as first female Doctor Who has been viewed a whopping 16 MILLION times online... as she is confirmed as Peter Capaldi's replacement

And I don't know if the following deserves it's own thread?

Jenny, the Doctor’s Daughter, Finally Getting the Doctor Who Spinoff Adventures She Deserves
    ^^^^ which we’ll be getting in audio drama form from Big Finnish Productions.

"BBC downplays Kris Marshall as companion."

Starting to feel a bit sorry for poor Kris :)

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a833541/doctor-who-bbc-plays-down-kris-marshall-as-companion/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've spent the better part since the reveal trying to convince myself that Jodie Whittaker holds a passing resemblance to Carol Ann Ford and that Susan might have a role in the regeneration. Granted, Susan wasn't travelling with The Doc when he regenerated, but having put my time in on Gallifrey Base, I am honour-bound to bolt either Rani/Valeyard/Susan onto any and every bit of speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Come on guys. You are going on like a female will be the next Doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

ebbsy wrote: »

I've yet to see a credible problem with a woman being in a role where the lead character shapeshifts his body and personality every few years. A role which has literally has no issue in terms of a gender switch, it's happened more than once with both the Master and that other time lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Should the new Doctor fix the Chameleon Circuit and get rid of The Phone Box?

A phone box is really a bit outdated in this day and age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a singular visual motif that identifies the show even to those unfamiliar; it's the de-factor logo of the very show itself. It'd be like redesigning the Federation insignia from Star Trek, or the TIE fighter from Star Wars. Sure, you could if you wanted to, but it wouldn't really do much for the brand.

A constantly changing biology however, is already well established in the canon of the TimeLords; the only reason this thread has ballooned to the size it is, is merely down to some vital statistics of the new Doctor's appearance; nothing will change in terms of who the Doctor is (well, there shouldn't be any changes anyway!), so nothing about the core identify of the show is actually going to change :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

B_Wayne wrote: »
    ebbsy wrote: »

I've yet to see a credible problem with a woman being in a role where the lead character shapeshifts his body and personality every few years. A role which has literally has no issue in terms of a gender switch, it's happened more than once with both the Master and that other time lord.

I thought Gomez was fantastic.

Given it'd a police call box rather than a public phone booth it's probably even more outdated than you think. When were they a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Only just caught up with season 10 now. I watch it up in my dad's house he's been watching for 50 years only 25 myself ;). Have to say I'm really excited about a woman doctor. It will open up a lot of new story lines. Just like the missy did for the Master's character.

Given it'd a police call box rather than a public phone booth it's probably even more outdated than you think. When were they a thing?

And that's the thing this outdated Box was phased out in the late 70's.

Yet no one bats an eye that this random box appearing all over the place 30 to 40 years after they were last seen on the streets.

Maybe it should be turned into a wheelie bin plenty of those on the streets these days.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Why would it? It will still be the same old jaded alien with different bits.

Each actor brings a piece of themselves to the role and female actor will bring something entirely new. As as mentioned before there is the fact women weren't expected to lead in the past which will certainly lead to an interesting story or two.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    That wasn't in question - what WAS in question is how having a female play the Doctor will bring 'new storylines', because, at the end of the day, it's still 'the Doctor'.

As I said historic leadership issues.
    A pregnant doctor could be fun.
    A story where the Daleks capture the doctor but it's actually her companion as they've never encountered the female doctor?
    A story with the ice warriors queen would have a different dynamic now.
    Doctor travels to a female only future world?

If I was good at coming up with ideas I'd be a writer

To be honest I'm excited and that's all that matters.

And that's the thing this outdated Box was phased out in the late 70's.

Yet no one bats an eye that this random box appearing all over the place 30 to 40 years after they were last seen on the streets.

Maybe it should be turned into a wheelie bin plenty of those on the streets these days.

Can people see the Tardis though? I thought it was cloaked, or had the capability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Can people see the Tardis though? I thought it was cloaked, or had the capability.

I think usually they just rely on it being "somebody else's problem".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_else%27s_problem
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The Somebody Else's Problem field... relies on people's natural predisposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain.

I think the 12th Doctor explained it similarly this season when they visited victorian London on the ice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny, 'fixing' the Chameleon Circuit is the kind of change I'd expect / fear if the show was ever produced in the US: in fact it surprises me that what little I know from the proposed series the the McGann TV pilot was meant to launch, that was one aspect they didn't fiddle with!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I think you could do a great series long gag out of the Doctor fixing the chameleon circuit, but the Tardis not being happy about it, and deliberately turning into various things to annoy him until he leaves it be as the blue box again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Doctor travels to a female only future world?
    Had the change to a female doctor been made for story-telling purposes rather than caving to vested interests, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd be hoping for. Can't see the production team being allowed run with a story centred on the evils of fourth wave feminism though... can anyone else?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Had the change to a female doctor been made for story-telling purposes rather than caving to vested interests, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd be hoping for. Can't see the production team being allowed run with a story centred on the evils of fourth wave feminism though... can anyone else?

But they have made the change for story telling purposes, it's just simply a story you yourself don't particularly like :)

I mean it's ALL fiction right, there are no 'natural' story-telling purposes really as you need contrivance or else there's no plot: when you get down to it it's merely the whim of a writer's imagination; all we tend to quibble about is how competently the script sucked us into the narrative without noticing the strings holding everything up.

Nearly every fictional drama ever not-written by a robot contains prejudices, agendas or biases of the author, but most of the time the author hides it in a compelling narrative - or else the narrative is interesting enough to ignore those notions. Why should Dr. Who be subject to different yardsticks here and be battered for perceived agendas that - until we see the broadcast episodes - are completely external to the story? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

pixelburp wrote: »
    But they have made the change for story telling purposes, it's just simply a story you yourself don't particularly like :)

I mean it's ALL fiction right, there are no 'natural' story-telling purposes really as you need contrivance or else there's no plot: when you get down to it it's merely the whim of a writer's imagination; all we tend to quibble about is how competently the script sucked us into the narrative without noticing the strings holding everything up.

Nearly every fictional drama ever not-written by a robot contains prejudices, agendas or biases of the author, but most of the time the author hides it in a compelling narrative - or else the narrative is interesting enough to ignore those notions. Why should Dr. Who be subject to different yardsticks here and be battered for perceived agendas that - until we see the broadcast episodes - are completely external to the story? :)

Thats why its subject to a slightly different yardstick. We've had years of various vested interests (including beeb people) pushing the "its a woman's turn" line. We've even had certain commentators take each successive choice if doctor to task for the sin of being a man.

Dont get me wrong, im happy to give it a chance (and i suspect some in the beeb are very keen to make sure it works) but lets not pretend that this is somehow the populist choice, or something that is a natural evolution of the show, or indeed some univerally good thing. They actually just took a lazy option of putting a woman in a role traditionally filled by a male rather than the harder option of developing a strong female character - kind of the tv equivalent of the Ghostbusters reboot .

Actually the irish Times summed it up quite well in a very balanced way

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/a-female-doctor-who-is-not-progress-1.3159106?mode=amp

Peter Davison broke party ranks :)
    “If I feel any doubts, it’s the loss of a role model for boys, who I think Doctor Who is vitally important for. So I feel a bit sad about that, but I understand the argument that you need to open it up.

“As a viewer, I kind of like the idea of the Doctor as a boy but then maybe I’m an old fashioned dinosaur – who knows?”

He also said she is a terrific actress who would do wonderful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Peter Davison broke party ranks :)

He also said she is a terrific actress who would do wonderful job.

It's a perfectly valid opinion, and it is really annoying to see him being pilloried for it. I am happy about the new Doctor being a woman, as my ten year old daughter has been losing interest the last couple of years, and this will hopefully "regenerate" her interest. But I definitely agree that there is a lot to be said for him being a great role model for boys, and it is sad to lose that.

BBC released a new trailer for "Trust Me", a new drama starring Jodie Whittaker.

"I took something that wasn't mine. I'm not a real doctor." :D

That is basically the plot of the thing, identity theft, but it seems a little on the nose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

BBC released a new trailer for "Trust Me", a new drama starring Jodie Whittaker.

"I took something that wasn't mine. I'm not a real doctor." :D

That is basically the plot of the thing, identity theft, but it seems a little on the nose :D

Seriously if it helps with the pain then go with it but she is the new Doctor and she could be great but the way some are going on here and else where she is in for a pilfering regardless of how good she is and that is the real tragedy for Doctor Who

Seriously if it helps with the pain then go with it but she is the new Doctor and she could be great but the way some are going on here and else where she is in for a pilfering regardless of how good she is and that is the real tragedy for Doctor Who

What pain?

What pain?

One assumes he's referring to the 12th round of "OMG how dare the Doctor be different RUINED FOREVER" that's about 100% more virulent now the non human alien shapeshifter has temporarily acquired physical traits of 50% of humanity.

One assumes he's referring to the 12th round of "OMG how dare the Doctor be different RUINED FOREVER" that's about 100% more virulent now the non human alien shapeshifter has temporarily acquired physical traits of 50% of humanity.

None of that is relevant to the post they replied to tough.

"I'm not a real doctor" could be seen as a direct attempt to wind up the people who're upset by the whole thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The post revered to identity theft and not been the real doctor. Are you trying to say it's not a 2 sutble way of saying she should not be the Doctor

Advertisement