Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was getting really tired of Moffat's convoluted myth building but at least the writing was good. The writing under Chibnal has just been bad and it's such a shame. The reveal was woefully done, they couldn't come up with a better 'gotcha' moment than
    "you're a slow runner but your file said you were a Sprint champion"?
    . It actually made me angry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True, though nothing has hit the barometer of stupid quite as much as RTDs Christmas speech from Obama that everyone tuned into :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    True, though nothing has hit the barometer of stupid quite as much as RTDs Christmas speech from Obama that everyone tuned into :D

Jaysus I'd forgotten about that!!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jaysus I'd forgotten about that!!

It just popped into my head TBH; it's nuts to think the "new" series is itself 15 years old at this point, and already on air more than half the length of the original series. It's easy to forget just how stupid the show got during its arguable high point of the RTD era...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

God awful 2nd episode and a total waste of the Master after they brought that character back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I for one think it's a massive improvement on last season. There's a bit more direction and connection between the stories. The talk on the Eiffel Tower certainly wasn't a "waste of character" as mentioned above and I'm now intrigued to where it's going. Did seem a bit "girl power" in using Noor Inayat Khan instead of Alan Turing in the war. That'd be my only criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Better episodes for JW - think that's down more to not having the companions in tow and felt more like the Doctor saving the day instead of a think tank. Tho it was a cop out save
    The Timeless Child is piquing the interest

Mixed episode. But definitely a lot better. Enjoyed the
    gallifrey twist
    but are we really going down that road again?

Thought the
    Master was a lot better this time around

Really enjoyed the last few minutes in the Tardis.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

God awful 2nd episode and a total waste of the Master after they brought that character back.

Yup
    Liked last season but that 2 parter was just a turd.
    Plus the master/missy got a good send off last season , why bring him/her back again , having had their moral compass reset and anything they learned over the last season wiped ..boo I say , Boo!

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Yup
    Liked last season but that 2 parter was just a turd.
    Plus the master/missy got a good send off last season , why bring him/her back again , having had their moral compass reset and anything they learned over the last season wiped ..boo I say , Boo!

I dont get why the moral compass magically got reset. Maybe something happened on Gallifrey.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

I dont get why the moral compass magically got reset. Maybe something happened on Gallifrey.

Maybe what he found out on Gallifrey broke him

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The first Chibnail written episode that I liked. A lot of that was down to this new take on the Master - angrier than he's been before, presumably because of whatever the truth actually is. I'm hoping that explains the Missy angle too so I'll assume it won't be ignored. And JW finally felt like her own Doctor.

It is a bit annoying that Gallifrey is gone again - it's the DW equivalent of fridging. Hope there's pay off. It'll depend on how far Chibnail is willing to go - is he going to dig deep into old lore or completely upend things by doing something crazy like saying Time Lords are evolved humans.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe what he found out on Gallifrey broke him

It's also unclear what incarnation of the Master we're dealing with. Presumably it's not post Missy.

Second episode was entertaining again, the laser shoes gag the kind of goofy only Dr. Who could get away with really. Warmed more to the Master and as said, he's definitely being played angrier, spittle n all.

Chibnalls comedy writing really lets the show down. Say what you will about RTD or Moffat, they knew how to write a funny line or two. Chibnalls scripts try but the writing just doesn't feel as smart and snappy as previous runners' efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not exactly blown away by the last two episodes too.
    Who has not been the same since David Tennant days and I was even late to the party watching them in 2013.

Oh another side note, is it me or does Yaz actress Mandip Gill have a really big bum? :pac: (which is a good thing haha)

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's also unclear what incarnation of the Master we're dealing with. Presumably it's not post Missy.

Second episode was entertaining again, the laser shoes gag the kind of goofy only Dr. Who could get away with really. Warmed more to the Master and as said, he's definitely being played angrier, spittle n all.

Chibnalls comedy writing really lets the show down. Say what you will about RTD or Moffat, they knew how to write a funny line or two. Chibnalls scripts try but the writing just doesn't feel as smart and snappy as previous runners' efforts.

Actually hadnt considered that this incarnation of The Master might not be Post Missy. (it would make a lot more sense if it were not)

All Eyes On Rafah

Actually hadnt considered that this incarnation of The Master might not be Post Missy. (it would make a lot more sense if it were not)

I mean, that's what I'm presuming, cos there's only 1 full season between Missy and this Master. So while Who doesn't do continuity as such, I'd be surprised if they intentionally upended something as recent as season 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

An ok run of the mill episode this week. I am the only one thinking Bradley Walsh could actually make a really good Doctor he has been the stand out for me over the course of this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

An ok run of the mill episode this week. I am the only one thinking Bradley Walsh could actually make a really good Doctor he has been the stand out for me over the course of this run.

The fact that he cant act would(probably) go against him.

That was a shambles of an episode
    Mommy issues, end of the world, climate change and that sermon in the Tardis - really? We already know Earth survives for millennia so this episode kinda doesn't make sense saying the world ended. (Previous episodes always had the Doctor saving the Earth by whatever means - so this kinda negates all those other episodes but lets ignore all that so we can send a message)
    Was kinda hopeful after last weeks episodes but Chibnall has no idea and this political correctness/social agenda thrown at us constantly is damn annoying

(As for the monsters mouths lol)

That was a shambles of an episode
    Mommy issues, end of the world, climate change and that sermon in the Tardis - really? We already know Earth survives for millennia so this episode kinda doesn't make sense saying the world ended. (Previous episodes always had the Doctor saving the Earth by whatever means - so this kinda negates all those other episodes but lets ignore all that so we can send a message)
    Was kinda hopeful after last weeks episodes but Chibnall has no idea and this political correctness/social agenda thrown at us constantly is damn annoying

(As for the monsters mouths lol)

Have you ever watched Doctor Who before?

The most recent episode is actually getting a lot of flat actually because of the bit where The Doctor uses The Master's race against him when she hands him over to the Nazis, as if that wasn't bad enough itself.

That said, I don't like Chibnal's run either, the writing is terrible and the tone is all over the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"We can't just leave them behind! If only we had some way of travelling to them to save them before they die!"
    Was I the only one wondering why they didn't go in the TARDIS to save them?
    Did they really all need to go find Benni?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Have you ever watched Doctor Who before?

The most recent episode is actually getting a lot of flat actually because of the bit where The Doctor uses The Master's race against him when she hands him over to the Nazis, as if that wasn't bad enough itself.

That said, I don't like Chibnal's run either, the writing is terrible and the tone is all over the shop.

Full on addict (Tom Baker was my Doctor of the day) - this new Doctor/Chibnall is full on in your face preaching. I don't think I've enjoyed a single episode of his or certainly none that I would remember. Now in to the second season and not one stand out episode
    Previous seasons/episodes may have had a message (now and again) but it was subtle - that sermon at the end was peak cringe.
    This episode had 3 messages being preached to the audience - as said the story was a shambles, all over the place the biggest clanger being the world is being destroyed to be taken over by aliens. In other episodes the Doctor prevents the catastrophe

I liked the new bad guys. Looked interesting.
    Alright episode. Reminded me a bit of the Tennant era. Just another version of our future though. We've seen quite a few of them. But time can be rewritten!

Bit preachy towards the end, but I think if could have worked if another Doctor had given the speech, not sure if current Doc has the speech mojo down yet, but wasnt bad either.

All Eyes On Rafah

CastorTroy wrote: »
    "We can't just leave them behind! If only we had some way of travelling to them to save them before they die!"
    Was I the only one wondering why they didn't go in the TARDIS to save them?
    Did they really all need to go find Benni?

Yeah it was abit silly.

All Eyes On Rafah

Full on addict (Tom Baker was my Doctor of the day) - this new Doctor/Chibnall is full on in your face preaching. I don't think I've enjoyed a single episode of his or certainly none that I would remember. Now in to the second season and not one stand out episode
    Previous seasons/episodes may have had a message (now and again) but it was subtle - that sermon at the end was peak cringe.
    This episode had 3 messages being preached to the audience - as said the story was a shambles, all over the place the biggest clanger being the world is being destroyed to be taken over by aliens. In other episodes the Doctor prevents the catastrophe

I've just realised I'm an episode behind and haven't seen the latest one. I'll get back to you when I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It was a bit Voyage of the Damned meets I am Legend. Bit messy and the revelation of Orphan 55 was completely pointless. If you are going to use an episode as a warning about the real future then you have to have a stronger base in science fact.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

How many shots did we have of the Dregs roaring into the camera? Approximately ten and a half billion it seemed. Very weak episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

After the double whammy of the first 2 Episodes I was expecting a lot better this week, but back to how it was last season with silly monsters, too many companions and preachy.

Big thumbs down this week , I really hope it will start to improve soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched it last night and found it started out alright. But wasn't great by the end. The mrs was like "they did this before basically..." - shes right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ixoy wrote: »
    How many shots did we have of the Dregs roaring into the camera? Approximately ten and a half billion it seemed. Very weak episode.

Yeah and she couldn't carry it either.

This week looks just as bad.

Advertisement