Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my home insurance renewal quote......

• 31-01-2017 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I got my house insurance renewal quote and it has increased from 356 to 568, and I have NEVER claimed on the policy ever.I have it with my car insurance, me and my wife on a joint policy and we have never claimed on that either.Is it a bad idea to stay with the same insurers too long or as in my case the same brokers.I'm really annoyed with these lot and now I'm wondering was I properly insured at all, all along.Lets say there has been a huge loss of confidence with these people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Always get new quotes every year, never trust insurance companies they do not care how long you stay with them it is irrelevant.
    Try yourself online or get another broker to try but it is as easy to do a few quick online quotes. Everyone wants new business and show no allegience to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Phone around and get a few quotes. Very hard to negotiate with online quotes. Just make sure you are using the same variables for all quotes and when asked at the end whether the quote compares well to others always say no, it is 100 or whatever euro too high etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will find you are covered for all sorts of stupid things. I got an equally daft quote and rang to be told I was covered for things like 'dropping a can of paint on the floor' or ' your phone falling in the toilet'. Now I'm sorry, but in my grown up world they come under the heading of 'learn a lesson and don't be so stupid in future' and if they happen I deserve everything I get.

I told them to cut out all that extra crap, leave me with cover in case the place falls down, has a fire or a burglary. The premium dropped considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

spurious wrote: »
    You will find you are covered for all sorts of stupid things. I got an equally daft quote and rang to be told I was covered for things like 'dropping a can of paint on the floor' or ' your phone falling in the toilet'. Now I'm sorry, but in my grown up world they come under the heading of 'learn a lesson and don't be so stupid in future' and if they happen I deserve everything I get.

I told them to cut out all that extra crap, leave me with cover in case the place falls down, has a fire or a burglary. The premium dropped considerably.

Accidental Damage & All Risks claims, like you describe, are amongst the most popular ones submitted by policyholders. They are included because of demand

Also, if anyone told you that your own policy covers you if your house falls down, I'd suggest you get a new insurance advisor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why in the jaysus would anyone blindly stay with their existing insurer yearly without going to market.

They rely on this apathy. you should be at least phoning around each year.

Cost you an hour of your time.must be on big money if you earn 200 euro an hour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I switch every year if the need arises, be it car insurance or house insurance.

My house insurance renewal arrived in January, a proposed increase of 168 euro with my then insurer.

Couple of hours shopping around online, I managed to get my insurance with a new insurer at the same price as previous year.

Shop around and show no loyalty to insurance companies, they show none to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Having worked in the business for many years, I totally agree with the principle of shopping around. Insurers used to reward loyalty, but not anymore.

Just a word of caution, please do not move insurer on price alone. Check the policy exclusions, excesses and limits of cover. Some insurers can offer competitive quotes by effectively excluding or restricting the cover you need most. Online offerings are a hoor for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are reasons to stay with a motor insurer but it still doesn't mean that you accept the number in the renewal notice. Motor insurers have ways of holding on to you, they can gradually top up your cover with loyalty bonuses like fully comp. cover driving other cars and free NCB protection but I don't see any reason not to move for house cover.

OP, the insurance companies know that there is a considerable number of people out there who just pay the amount in the renewal because they wrongly assume they're getting whatever discounts are going and they won't do any better if they shop around which clearly is not the case. The insurance companies are prepared to lose a certain % of existing customers if it means that they effectively screw the lazy ones who don't shop around. So as advised, do shop around but phone your own company as well, tell then you got a much lower quote elsewhere (don't overdo it) and get them to drop their price which they will do.

Motor policies have gone up in the past few years, I suspect the general insurers are trying to get on the bandwagon because they probably think we have now been condiditoned into expecting higher premiums across the board - time to push back.

Advertisement