Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to buy a share in a holiday home abroad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

What you mean by "outlook not being very good for investment property in Ireland anymore"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Try somewhere like Murcia or the area around Almeria in the south east. A bit off the beaten track but you should find somewhere reasonably cheap, Ryanair fly there and you're less likely to encounter Brits abroad or crowds in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Don't really know why irish and english like Spain so much, been there and didn't really liked, althought is cheap is not really beautiful. Balearic islands instead are very expensive. In your place i would buy in Algarve, or then trying southern Italy (Salento or Calabria), Greece, Croatia or Albania. All those places are way better than Spain. Don't know if renting is good idea because if you want to rent during summer prices get very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

uli84 wrote: »
    What you mean by "outlook not being very good for investment property in Ireland anymore"

Loads of in thrads in the property forum about it if you go there.
    Op the reason Spain not Portugal are good is that it's easy and cheap to get there.
    Whatever you do don't buy in a place where the flight route to it suddenly disappears or you won't be using it yourself anymore.
    Also be careful that you don't buy it and all.of your relatives start using it. Then you are paying for an asset for everyone else to use and will get no airbnb rent out of it when you aren't in it.
    Amazing how many people are subsidising all their relatives holidays and only getting a pint and a thanks for it.
    A friend of mine has 2 bed apartment in Portugal and he doesn't go in the summer because it's too hot for him.
    But is sister goes for three weeks every jul.
    He airbnb s it for the rest of the time at €65 a night in peak season.
    So his sister is getting a nice free trip out of it and he is forgoing over €1000 out of his pocket.
    But he feels happy and she is delighted too. But it's €1000. I asked him how would he feel if he just handed her the €1000 every year given that she is richer than him anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

armabelle wrote: »
    where did you have your own place?

Torrevieja, which we loved, but as Spanish Eyes mentioned property taxes, community charges etc do cost, and you'd need to be using it a lot to justify it. Our costs (without even being there), were €2000+.

There were lots of reasons we sold, some of them were

1 We have a 10 year old in school and won't be able to get over a lower cost for the next 8 years or so. Consequently, we won't get the use we would have liked.

2. Factor in the basic costs, plus flights/car rental etc and maintenance costs

3. Spanish wills/succession for property is not the (relatively) straightforward thing that is here. You would definitely need to look into all that first. I know a retired person who sold for exactly that reason.

4. A fair amount of crime is directed against foreigners specifically, whether it is pickpocketing in markets or breaking into property, even when people are sleeping in their beds.

5. Knowing what we know of the area, we would definitely go back, and rent right on the beach for a fraction of what our yearly charges would have been.

6. If we had lots of time to go over for a few months, we would also rent, and get a place which is of a great standard, without any of the maintenance headaches.

• Advertisement

Sorry, holliers is an Irish way of saying Holidays (vacations)!

I do think renting abroad is the best way to go. Owning a property there can be full of costs, some of which can be quite high, as I said in my previous post....

Factor in property taxes, community charge, maintenance, furnishings, appliances etc. if buying.

And you will also have utility bills and insurance to pay aswell.

Do you own a property here? If you let it out for the six months you are away, you will have to register with PRTB and you could have problems getting tenants out at the end of the lease too.

If you cannot afford to buy outright I would forget about sharing ownership, it is too complicated and fraught with potential problems.

You can get a two bed apartment in Southern Spain on a long term lease (not a two week holiday let) sometimes for 500 euro a month, maybe a little higher.

Now that means each year it costs a little over 3,000 euro for six months. Let's say 4,000 euro. Cheap accommodation per night at that price, and you have no responsibilities, no risks.

The property market in Spain is not great, and it could get worse.

I'm just giving you my opinion. I would not buy abroad ever. Renting is the only way to go in my opinion.

But best of luck to you whatever choice you make.

100% correct.

We all buy into the dream, but knowing what we know now, you can still have the dream while someone else has the worry !!!

76544567 wrote: »
    We are buying a holiday property this year. Have it narrowed down to parts of Spain or Portugal.
    Nice cheap flights whenever you feel like going.
    We'll rent it out via airbnb whenever we arent using it via an agent.
    Definitely in July and August it will be rented. Peak prices for rent and besides its too hot that time of year anyway.
    From the research we have done so far the rental income will be fairly substantial, especially in the summer.
    We were renting over here but getting out of that now due to the outlook not being very good for investment property in Ireland anymore.
    So would recommend not renting your place here but buying outright abroad yourself and renting it rather than sharing it.

You're talking about holiday rentals, which is doable if you are close to the beach (but that will mean your property is more expensive when you buy), and you are in a good rentable area, or somewhere with good views.

My brother had a place over there before us, but also sold theirs to rent over there initially, but has now moved on to Vietnam, Cambodia etc. Himself and his wife built a small chalet in their back garden (bedroom, Kitchen/Living area, toilet/shower), with a view to renting out their house through a management company, and spending 6 months abroad when they retire. However, their Spanish experience has taught them that they can rent anywhere, and can move on when they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

Mumha wrote: »
    You're talking about holiday rentals, which is doable if you are close to the beach (but that will mean your property is more expensive when you buy), and you are in a good rentable area, or somewhere with good views.

My brother had a place over there before us, but also sold theirs to rent over there initially, but has now moved on to Vietnam, Cambodia etc. Himself and his wife built a small chalet in their back garden (bedroom, Kitchen/Living area, toilet/shower), with a view to renting out their house through a management company, and spending 6 months abroad when they retire. However, their Spanish experience has taught them that they can rent anywhere, and can move on when they want.

I am indeed talking about in demand areas. I thought it was a given that the OP was talking about living in that kind of area than in the middle of nowhere where no-one else wants to live.
    I guess it's up to the OP to decide what they would like best in the end. But just throwing options out there anyway for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

well, yes there are a lot of things to keep in mind but certain months can be allocated to the other owner. So 6 months each divided equally at time of purchase. I suppose then months could be swapped if neccesary. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I guess if you're retired and wanting winter months only, that could work if you found a family with children who wanted the high season. They wouldn't be free for six months though.

So I'm not too sure if 2Xsix months would be feasible, because I'd imagine there'd generally be a degree of overlap in the times you all wanted to stay there : younger families would want school holidays, including winter, and older couples would tend to want cooler medium or winter season, which I imagine is what you're thinking of too.

And if grandchildren come along, even older couples are going to want school holiday times as well.

How about buying it outright and renting out the times you don't need/want it? That way you could adjust if it's too expensive, rent it out for longer if need be, instead of having a fixed contract.

ETA : or renting a furnished place for six months, as others have suggested. I've friends who rent abroad for a couple or three months every winter, in Madeira or southern Spain, and they get great value because they take a villa that is rented by the week during high season, and get a further reduction because it's a longish term rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Das Reich wrote: »
    Don't really know why irish and english like Spain so much, been there and didn't really liked, althought is cheap is not really beautiful. Balearic islands instead are very expensive. In your place i would buy in Algarve, or then trying southern Italy (Salento or Calabria), Greece, Croatia or Albania. All those places are way better than Spain. Don't know if renting is good idea because if you want to rent during summer prices get very expensive.

it is sunny like 300 days of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks for the advice. Wouldn't owning a place be better than renting since it is yours and the monthly expenses on it are small? My father always taught us that rent was money down the drain. I guess maybe that is why I see it that way.

Like if we are planning on being there 6 months a year, we could rent here and own the place over there. Still think not a good idea?

also, what are holliers?

Not sure if this has been addressed already in the thread, but good luck with coming back every six months to find a new rental property to suit you! Particularly if you're in an urban area, but really with the state of the rental market anywhere in Ireland that would be a seriously dodgy enterprise.

Of all the suggestions in the thread so far, negotiating a cheap long-term rental price on a property in a location that you like seems like the best idea by far to me.

Advertisement