Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2017 season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Thought we did ok on the night, defending left a lot to be desired at times and this is where our issue has always been. Williams has probably been our player of the season this far but he had a mare tonight. It would be unfair to be too critical though, City are just a good side and miles ahead of us. I thought we looked more compact in the centre - Lee J had was his usual industrious self and Duggy put in an improved performance. But they killed us down their right flank.

I wouldn't worry for us, there are at least 4-5 worse teams in the division than us. 6-7th is our level and for our first season back I'd be satisfied with that. We do need to sign defenders and another striker come July though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

RTE highlights of the Cork game:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Third goal was a right kick in the balls. Going into half time only 2-1 down and muched improved from the first league game you expected a big second half to then go and gift them a soft third goal less than a minute into the second half like last time just killed the game for Limerick imo.

Big couple of games coming up against Pats and Drogheda. Neither team are in great shape so on paper should be handy enough but this Limerick. Transfer window opens the day after the Drogheda game so some people could be playing for their future with McDonald supposedly looking at bringing in five to six new faces in July.

Big couple of games coming up against Pats and Drogheda. Neither team are in great shape so on paper should be handy enough but this Limerick. Transfer window opens the day after the Drogheda game so some people could be playing for their future with McDonald supposedly looking at bringing in five to six new faces in July.
    The impression I get from McDonald is that he isn't looking to keep things tight and play ourselves into the game and all that, his attitude is to attack from the start and try to dominate.

I think that's the right way to go about it as I think that with the exception of Cork, and maybe Dundalk, every team in the league is pretty fragile and can be got at. He seems to want to get at them, rather than have other teams do it to us.

Pats and Drogheda are more fragile than most, and we should be looking for 6 points.

Yeah you can see that he's trying to take the game to majority of the teams and even against Cork we had some great chances but the defence needs an overhauling though and a holding midfielder to play the way he wants attacking wise while remaining solid at the other end.

Also think it's a big two weeks for Shane Duggan who could struggle getting back into the team imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Ye were very good in the first half, far better than most teams that have been to the Cross this year. Third goal killed the game alright, but even if it hadn't come so early in the second half, I don't think there was any doubt that City would win the game.

With three going down this year, it could have been a very tough year for ye, but on the evidence of last Friday ye'll have no trouble staying up.

Was great to see how much support for Limerick there was at the match too, it really made for a great atmosphere.

We should be safe but Limerick like to do things the hard way. Next three games are massive as they are against teams who are below us in the table and make up the current bottom three.

Limerick 2-2 St. Pats

(Ogbene, Tosi penalty)

Limerick could only pick up a point tonight against bottom team St. Pats. To be honest, after the sloppy, lazy, disjointed performance, we were probably fortunate to even get a point.

Pats started the stronger and had more of the territory, but never really troubled Clarke. We gave the ball away much too easily all game, which meant we were defending for most of it. With pretty much our first attack of the game, we took the lead. A Pats corner was cleared to Lynch, and he did brilliantly to hold it up until Ogbene was ready, then his pass behind the defence sent Ogbene clear and in on goal, and he calmly finished low into the bottom far corner.

That put us in the driving seat for a while and we created a few more chances, with Tosi heading over (Dave O'Connor in a much better position right behind him) and Duggan found space to fire in a decent shot. But gradually, Pats gained the momentum and kept it until half time.

It was much the same from the start of the second half, with Pats finding space so easily and keeping us pressed in our own half. We survived a goal-line clearance when Fagan couldn't finish a ball across the box, and then we suddenly found ourselves 2 goals up. From a free into the box, Tosi was dragged to the ground. The ref gave a penalty and Tosi cooly sent the keeper the wrong way.

If we'd held on to our undeserved lead a bit longer, maybe Pats' confidence would have started to fade, but they pulled one back within a couple of minutes, when a Pats player was first to the near post to glance in a header from a left-wing cross.

We never changed in shape or personnel, and Pats continued to take advantage. That said, we played a part in their equaliser. A silly cross-field pass from Sean Kelly went straight to a Pats player in the middle of the Limerick half, and we then gave away a free-kick on the the edge of the area, which Conan Byrne absolutely blasted into the top corner past Clarke.

O'Flynn and Hery replaced Tosi and O'Conor, and we finally had a bit more composure in midfield. Both sides had some chances late on, with a Clarke shot and Ogbene header both coming close for Limerick in the final minutes, but a win would have been robbery.

Next game: away to Drogheda, Friday June 30th, 7.45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

To save me even looking sideways at the Daily Star, does anyone have the details of what this deal is that Limerick have seem to have struck with a Mongolian club?

The Limerick twitter account tweeted on monday night that there would be an exciting announcement on tuesday and..... nothing... until the Star printed something today.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

It's a link up with the Mongolian FA - a logical step for Limerick really. Ranked 197th in the world, so obviously we'll be getting some top class reinforcements out of this deal. First Ghana, then the Greeks and now the Mongols. :D

• Advertisement

To save me even looking sideways at the Daily Star, does anyone have the details of what this deal is that Limerick have seem to have struck with a Mongolian club?

The Limerick twitter account tweeted on monday night that there would be an exciting announcement on tuesday and..... nothing... until the Star printed something today.

Rule of thumb I have when it comes to rumours is if Andrew Cunneen doesn't mention or talk about it's probably just bull****. Now that might not be the case and this could have some truth but nothing mentioned from Andrew Cunneen who'd be in the know with Limerick has mentioned nothing or even Neil O'Riordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Rule of thumb I have when it comes to rumours is if Andrew Cunneen doesn't mention or talk about it's probably just bull****. Now that might not be the case and this could have some truth but nothing mentioned from Andrew Cunneen who'd be in the know with Limerick has mentioned nothing or even Neil O'Riordan.

Limerick retweeted a journalist from the Star earlier who said that there was news of an unusual international linkup involving Limerick in today's paper. The article itself shows Pat posing with two Mongolians - their manager and a defender (in a LFC tracksuit).

Limerick retweeted a journalist from the Star earlier who said that there was news of an unusual international linkup involving Limerick in today's paper. The article itself shows Pat posing with two Mongolians - their manager and a defender (in a LFC tracksuit).

Yeah just saw that there, strange that Andrew Cunneen hasn't retweeted anything about it or mentioned it. Must say this is interesting and only God knows what Pat was smoking when he came up with this idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Haven't looked at it yet but I've been following limerick a long time and this seems like more rubbish to be honest.

Highlights of 2-2 draw with St. Pats:

That 'Community Partnership' with the Mongolian Football Federation has just been announced on the clubs FB page and on the website.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/limerick-fc-announce-community-partnership-with-mongolian-ff
    Limerick FC and the Mongolian Football Federation have announced a Community Partnership which they believe will be beneficial for both sides, with Belgutei Batjargul the first to come to the city as part of a planned exchange programme.

After year-long discussions, Mongolian Football Federation manager Enkhjin Batsumber arrived on Shannonside this week as the deal was formally agreed, with Batjargul set to spend time training in the club’s Academy as well as beginning education here.

Batsumber and his colleagues had spent time in the UK last year searching for a potential partner with strong community links.

However, Limerick’s community work impressed the Mongolian FF so much that the pair have now linked up. The partnership will see players, coaches and community staff travel from Mongolia to Ireland and vice-versa, with the potential for Mongolian National Team squads to come and train in Limerick.

Blue Army chants for Belgutei Batjargul should be worth looking out for.

osarusan wrote: »
    That 'Community Partnership' with the Mongolian Football Federation has just been announced on the clubs FB page and on the website.

http://www.limerickfc.ie/limerick-fc-announce-community-partnership-with-mongolian-ff

Blue Army chants for Belgutei Batjargul should be worth looking out for.

Limerick's press release makes it sound like they were approached by the Mongolian FF to set up this student exchange program more or less which shows the good work the club has done behind the scenes with young lads around the city with the Reclaim step program. It's a win win in my opinion as it adds to the work they already do off the field, open ups the opportunity of lads of good enough to move to clubs in England we'll get compensated and the possibility of links with higher rated football countries opening up if it's a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

On the road again, to provide live audio analysis of tonight's Drogheda game --alongside regular contributor Conor Molan.

Usual link: www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Massive win away. huge 3 points.
    2-0 to Limerick. Robbie Williams after 12 mins with Tosi making it safe 4 minutes from full .....:)

Drogheda 0-2 Limerick

(Williams, Coughlan)

A fitful performance was enough to see off a dreadful Drogheda tonight.

We started at pace and kept them on the back foot for pretty much all the match. We had the ball in the net after a Dean Clarke cross, but it was disallowed for Ogbene being offside even though it was the defender who got the final touch.

But we did go ahead soon after that. A free kick into the box was glanced on and Robbie Williams arrived at the back post to head in. It was initially ruled out for offside until the referee realised that it was a Drogheda player who had glanced it on.

From then on we slowed down and it was a case of trying to get a second to finish them off, and failing to do so. They offered nothing in attack, while we wasted one attacking opportunity after another, as we wondered if the misses would come back to haunt us.

Finally, in the dying minutes, a hoof forward was allowed to bounce, and Coughlan jumped to beat the keeper in a challenge for the ball and headed over him into the empty net, to seal the win.

Not a great performance at all, very slow and pedestrian, but 3 points.

Next game: away to Galway, Friday July 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Breaking down exactly why that game in United Park last night was so tough-to-watch here: http://bit.ly/2tv7txP

Limerick have signed Henry Cameron, NZ (international) player with championship experience.

Any word on this young lad coming in, has signed already or did he have a change of heart already, are the club waiting to announce more than one signing?

Any word on this young lad coming in, has signed already or did he have a change of heart already, are the club waiting to announce more than one signing?

It's all a bit strange. It'll be very embarrassing for the club if after all the social media build up, nothing comes of it. To be honest, unless its some marquee signing (and we know its not) its already embarrassing because they've made so much out of it.

Thinking about going to the Galway match on friday night with my Dad. Limerick have told me that away tickets are available on the night at the gate in Galway. Does anyone know if we need to go to a particular place up there to get them or something?

It's all a bit strange. It'll be very embarrassing for the club if after all the social media build up, nothing comes of it. To be honest, unless its some marquee signing (and we know its not) its already embarrassing because they've made so much out of it.

I think most of Limerick know it's Joe Crowe from Norwich u23s, Neil O'Riordan from the sun tweeted it as did a news crowd in Norwich. Just wondering have they others lined up to announce instead of doing it separately. Are they waiting to see what happens in Bray and see if they can sign someone from there.

I think most of Limerick know it's Joe Crowe from Norwich u23s, Neil O'Riordan from the sun tweeted it as did a news crowd in Norwich. Just wondering have they others lined up to announce instead of doing it separately. Are they waiting to see what happens in Bray and see if they can sign someone from there.

If that's the case, then it will be great. Whether its Bray players or not.

But if they make a big reveal of Crowe when, as you say, the whole town already knows, they'll look very foolish after all this time and playing up on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Thinking about going to the Galway match on friday night with my Dad. Limerick have told me that away tickets are available on the night at the gate in Galway. Does anyone know if we need to go to a particular place up there to get them or something?

It depends where they put the away fans. Most times I have been up there we have been in the corner of the new stand and entered through the away designated turnstile at the end of the road you enter the ground at.

A few years ago though there was a big travelling support and we were put in the old stand just as you walk in the gate. With 3 buses going this is a possibility.

Keep an eye on Galway Utd twitter and Facebook as they should put details up.

Jofspring wrote: »
    It depends where they put the away fans. Most times I have been up there we have been in the corner of the new stand and entered through the away designated turnstile at the end of the road you enter the ground at.

A few years ago though there was a big travelling support and we were put in the old stand just as you walk in the gate. With 3 buses going this is a possibility.

Keep an eye on Galway Utd twitter and Facebook as they should put details up.

Cheers. I've emailed them as well, so hopefully we'll get sorted.

• Advertisement

If that's the case, then it will be great. Whether its Bray players or not.

But if they make a big reveal of Crowe when, as you say, the whole town already knows, they'll look very foolish after all this time and playing up on social media

As jof said it depends where they put the fans and I think both entrances are on the same side. There will be another big crowd at this so like in 2015 we'll probably be in the old stand and it's the entrance closet to the road as you turn in we entered through two years ago.

Hopefully it's waiting for other people to agree to sign and it's only teasing a small bit and wouldnt say it's them building up the suspense for Crowe but more like paper work needs to be sorted out like Tosi before its official which in that case yes it's foolish to somewhat announce that someone is signing without actually having it officially sorted with whoever handles the paper work.

Advertisement