Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2017 season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭Guffy

Tickets should be available at the gate. The away fans are in the old stand for league games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thinking about going to the Galway match on friday night with my Dad. Limerick have told me that away tickets are available on the night at the gate in Galway. Does anyone know if we need to go to a particular place up there to get them or something?
    They'll be available on the night, at the away ticket office. I don't remember where it is but it will be close to the away entrance and seats.

Highlights from the 2-0 away win at Drogheda:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Joe Crowe from Norwich officially confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Those of you unable to travel can follow the game live at www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live tomorrow.

Noel O'Connor will join me again.

• Advertisement

Galway 3-1 Limerick

(Coughlan)

Really poor performance from Limerick tonight as Galway deservedly picked up 3 points and moved themselves off the bottom of the table.

We actually started ok, and had more of the possession. Apart from one chance for Tosi, when didn't know how much time he had and he hurried a volley over the bar instead of taking a touch to steady himself, we didn't create much, but neither did Galway.

Then out of the blue, they took the lead. A midfielder received the ball about 30 yards out, and turned to fire a volley that dipped over Clarke and into the top corner. And just a couple of minutes later they were 2-0 up. Their striker received the ball on the edge of the area with his back to goal, but a smart piece of control and turn saw him through on goal, and he finished low to Clarke's right.

We had a good go at the start of the second half, and had them under real pressure for 10 or 15 minutes. If we had scored then things might have been different, but Tosi headed straight at the keeper, and later a defender cleared off the line when the keeper was beaten.

We were losing belief at this stage, and the momentum faded away. Then we gave away an awful 3rd goal. Tony Whitehead and Joe Crowe tried to shepherd a long ball over the end line, but a Galway player muscled in and managed to drag the ball back from them, and then finish past Clarke. It was shocking.

Very late on, subsitute Coughlan played a one-two with Ogbene to get in behind the defence on the right side of the area, and placed a left-foot finish across the keeper, but it was much too little, much too late, and much of the sizeable Limerick crowd had already left.

Next game: home to Shamrock Rovers, Saturday July 15th, but this might change because of their European games.

Hopefully McDonald has a couple of lads lined up to come in, badly need a left full as O'Connor is shocking. Robbie had an off day today but feel he'll be having more of them as the season draws to an end, he'll be 33 once the season is over and strikes me as someone who finds it hard to stay in shape. His experience would be vital to have around but the club should be looking at bringing in someone to bed in now with a view to replacing Robbie next season.

O Connor was poor but he's not really a full back at all, no real attacking instinct.

Ogbene was really poor. Galway just dropped back and never really gave him space in behind to run into.

Hery gave the ball away a bit and didn't create much.

Crowe didn't look up to much on his debut. Is he a full back? He didn't look like one - didn't want to cross at all.

But really, bad performances all over the pitch.

Crowe is a centre back and can play as a holding midfielder apparently. Thought he played well and wasn't frightened to get onto the ball. Probably his first week training and playing a game in nearly two months so will probably take him another game or two to fully get into the swing of things.

Next Saturday's game with Shamrock Rovers has been postponed because of their European match.

Don't forget that we have a friendly at home to Charlton on Tuesday at 7.45.

• Advertisement

Was always gonna happen, they've a friendly against Burnley too on the 14th.

osarusan wrote: »

Don't forget that we have a friendly at home to Charlton on Tuesday at 7.45.

Off topic (sort of) but a bit of club trivia for anyone who's interested. A friend of mine's dad won the league with Limerick in 1960, Gerard McCarthy, played centre half I think. He also played for Charlton.

Anyway, way before my time, I met the man but never saw him play. All I know is in those days they still had a "maximum wage" for footballers in the UK, and if it's supposed to be an indication of how good a player is then he was earning the top rate allowed by the FA at the time.

Would be lovely to see him again at the game, I just wonder if anyone currently at the club is even aware of who he is?

Off topic (sort of) but a bit of club trivia for anyone who's interested. A friend of mine's dad won the league with Limerick in 1960, Gerard McCarthy, played centre half I think. He also played for Charlton.

Anyway, way before my time, I met the man but never saw him play. All I know is in those days they still had a "maximum wage" for footballers in the UK, and if it's supposed to be an indication of how good a player is then he was earning the top rate allowed by the FA at the time.

Would be lovely to see him again at the game, I just wonder if anyone currently at the club is even aware of who he is?

Was meant to be a good player and a gentleman. He'd have been way before my time but my dad would have seen him play for Limerick and said he was a quality player. He was involved with my local club Star Rovers and my brother would have known him from also being involved with the club and said you wouldn't have met a nicer man.

Limerick 3-2 Charlton Athletic

(Kenny, Tracy, Ogbene)

2-0 down at half-time, Limerick completed an unlikely comeback win in this friendly against a Charlton team in early preseason.

Both teams started with a number of squad players in the line up, and the whole first half was played at a slow pace. Charlton went ahead midway through the half with a header from a corner, and went 2-0 up when Hall was challenged for a cross, and their striker outmuscled Davy OConnor to head in the loose ball.

Both sides made changes at half time, and another set of changes on the hour, and still more changes after that. I can't comment of Charlton's changes, but ours mostly improved the team. Our new Mongolian player got a run out too.

We pulled a goal back when Stephen Kenny completely mis-hit a cross that sailed in over the keeper. We equalised soon after when Shane Tracy curled a beautiful freekick into the top corner after Mulhall had been brought down outside the area when through on goal.

We continued to press and work hard and took the lead when a lovely ball over the top from Coughlan sent Ogbene in on goal, and he fired low past the keeper. Charlton pressed late on but Hall made some good saves and we held on for a win.

The result doesn't mean much at all, but still nicer to have won than have lost.

Garbhan Coughlan seems to be making quite the impression lately for the new manager, that's two goals in his last two games and setting up the winner tonight.

Highlights of the horrible 3-1 loss to Galway:

That miss by Tosi was something else really, he scores that and Limerick would have went on to win the game imo. Galway were clinical though and took their chances when they came, only had three shots all game.

Chris Mulhall has left Limerick. He is hoping to play more first-team football somewhere else.

Cabinteely are splashing money, wouldnt be surprised if he ended up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I've heard another Dublin based club.

• Advertisement

Limerick 0-0 Sligo

No goals, but it turned out to be a pretty entertaining match between Limerick and Sligo tonight.

The first half, however, was far from entertaining. Limerick's play was very disjointed, with players in unusual positions, and players looking pretty unsure about what they should do and where they should be. Sligo weren't any better either, and there were few moments of note and few chances in the first half. A Tosi shot that forced a corner was our best moment of the half, while Sligo had to make do with a shot then went narrowly over.

In the second half Limerick gradually began to play at a higher tempo, and started to look the better team. Sligo were still dangerous on the break however, and it became a very end to end game. We tested their keeper a good few times, while they had a goal disallowed for offside and a few other chances.

It was the introduction of the much maligned Stephen Kenny (much maligned by me anyway) as a substitute that had the most impact on the game. He played in a very direct manner, running straight at the Sligo defence, and injecting some energy into our play. He hit the crossbar with an inswinging free kick that looped over the keeper and also played a cutback for John O'Flynn at the near post which was probably our best chance of the game.

Sligo still had an attacking presence until they had a man sent off for an ugly hack on Ogbene as he went on a break. After that it became an onslaught on their goal and they were reduced to just hoofing clear. We kept pressing and forced the keeper into a few more good saves, but couldn't find a finish.

Next game: away to Derry, Sunday July 28th, 2.30pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ian Turner gone to Pats. Contract terminated by mutual consent. No loss, talented but very lazy, made no impression in his second spell with club.

Highlights of the 0-0 draw with Sligo:

Clearout happening at Limerick FC.

Kainz, Walsh, Mullhall, Turner all gone.

Robbie Williams, Shaun Kelly and Paul O'Connor transfer listed.

Board obviously putting their faith in McDonald and allowing him make the changes he wants to make...bit of a cleanout at the club.

I just hope he has players lined up to replace those who might be leaving.

Yeah hopefully he has players lined up, not too bothered about most of the players that left or could leave apart from Kelly. A clear out was needed but you gotta wonder is this the best time to do it unless he was told players can't come in unless others leave the club first.

Robbie is good on his day but his off the field lifestyle is very unprofessional and with Paul O'Connor while he's a good player at times he gives me nightmares anytime he takes three touches or more as he often gets caught on the ball and loses it in dangerous positions.

You would have to assume, and hope, that McDonald has players ready to come in. His reputation is also on the line and if we get dragged into a relegation battle and get relegated then it will all come crashing down on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Very early days and Mc will get a fair run at this but...

Henry for me looks very poor (brutal against Charlton and very average against Bridge Utd, did well at times last week) and he is the only actual signing we have made.

We played 2 Centre Halves against Galway in the full back positions and then played everything through them when neither wanted to go forward. Now we are putting the only actual right full we have on the market? Dean looked ok last week but very naive as could be seen from gambling on that ball in the 1st half which left Sligo in for a 1 on 1. Lets hope we have 2 lined up.

Why o why o why is Bastian on the bench.. a farce.

We could easily find ourselves fighting for our premier status within the next couple of weeks and I hope that we are not replacing the experience of O Conner, Williams and Kelly with another couple of maybe talented young players who have never played LOI before, that would be an accident waiting to happen.

Jofspring wrote: »
    You would have to assume, and hope, that McDonald has players ready to come in. His reputation is also on the line and if we get dragged into a relegation battle and get relegated then it will all come crashing down on him.

And unfortunately it will be him that is gonna take all the blame, you can even see it now the amount of people criticising him and some even calling for his head instead of looking at those in positions above him and asking questions of them.

Also Robbie Williams being linked with Cork, would be a good move as you're guarented a league medal and possibly a cup or two and they are short a defender or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Confirmed that Robbie has left :(.

Shane Tracey's XI of former players for his testimonial game looks as if it will have a lot of fans favourites at this rate..

Advertisement