Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2017 season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Derry City v Limerick: Match abandoned after 25 minutes

A floodlight failure was the reason for the game being abandoned at 1-1 after 25 minutes in the first game being held at Maginn Park, Derry's temporary home during the renovation of the Brandywell.

Limerick had taken the lead through Dean Clarke after just 6 minutes, but Derry equalised from a freekick on 20 minutes, before the lights went out.

Sickening for the fans who travelled for 5 or 6 hours to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Limerick FC players, management and supporters were left hugely frustrated by the developments as they faced a 460-mile, 10-hour round trip to attend the game in Buncrana.

It was later confirmed by Limerick FC that the abandoned fixture with Derry City has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 21 at Maginn Park, 7.45 pm (Limerick Leader)

Could not common sense prevail and continue the match tomorrow in broad daylight instead?

Could not common sense prevail and continue the match tomorrow in broad daylight instead?

You're assuming the entire playing squad, management, coaching staff, physio, bus driver, whatever other traveling entourage goes with the team on the road, etc, plus referee, assistants, match officials, all have a) hotel rooms in the immediate vicinity of Buncrana for the night, and b) F all else to do with their time tomorrow.

Plus the owners of Maginn Park may well have plans of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Game should have been pushed out until and available opportunity on maybe a Friday or Saturday arose to play the game.

There was a huge cost involved for Limerick FC travelling up Thursday, staying the night, getting ready for the game and having to leave with only 25 minutes played. Being told to come back in a few weeks on a Tuesday is salt in the wounds.

• Advertisement

Paudie O'Connor signed a two year deal with Leeds, so we won't be seeing him in a Limerick shirt for a while at least. Good luck to him. Brave and committed, but naive at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Anyone not @ tonights match can listen online here:
    http://dundalkfm.radio.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Dundalk 1-0 Limerick

We played well enough but couldn't make a dent in the reigning champions. We had a couple of early chances but Dundalk's domination gradually increased, and we spent most of the first half defending. We didn't give away too many chances but when Dean Clarke was dispossessed trying to break out of defence, McEleney took advantage to curl a superb shot into the top corner. We had a very good penalty shout turned down before the break too when Tosi went down when trying to get on the end of a cross.

The second half was the same as the first, with Dundalk doing more of the pressing, but we slowly cam into the game and were on the attack for the last 15 minutes. We didn't create much though - a couple of headers for Tosi was it really. Freddy Hall came up for our last attack of the game and got his head to the ball too, but not on goal.

Still, a decent performance against maybe the best LOI side in the last 25 years. Our games against Bohs and Harps are the ones we need to be taking points from.

Next game: Home to Bohemians, Monday 13th March, 7.45pm

Limerick 0-1 Bohemians

A poor performance and poor result tonight against a well-drilled but fairly limited Bohs team.

It was an even enough first half, with both teams having chances. Bosh keeper and eventual man of the match Shane Supple made good saves to deny Ian Turner and later Shane Duggan, while Bohs missed decent chances created mostly by Limerick's pointless passing round the back 4.

Bohs took the lead early in the second half. A cross missed everybody and reached the far post, where it was quickly cut back for an onrushing Bohs player to smash home. Limerick rallied, but it was one of those nights when the final ball was a bit early, late, short, or long, and the players were making the wrong runs at the wrong time. We didn't create much, and when we did, Supple saved brilliantly from Duggan after a quick pass from substitute Mulhall put him in on goal. Apart from that, Tosi had a header he had to stretch for, and Dean Clarke had a fierce shot that went just over.

Quite a let down after the opening day goals and even the good performance in Dundalk.

Next game: Home to Finn Harps, Saturday March 18th, 2pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Very disappointing. Bohs manhandled us every time we got inside their half and the officials did us no favours.
    Thought Tommy Robson was poor and made some high risk passes across the box way too often.
    Limerick essentially beat themselves, the goal came from a moment of confusion between two of our own and Bohs hardly made any chances themselves. Frustrating game considering we were the better side as well as the fact that Bohs ran down the clock from the 50th minute onwards.
    Thought it was questionable to take off Ogbene when he was our biggest threat although Mulhall was good when he came on. Every time a long diagonal ball was played into him we looked like scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Gotta feel sorry for Turner after the mistake by the fourth official in mixing up the subs making it look like the fans were cheering him going off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Really disappointed by some of the supporters last night particularly the blue army loyalty club. The fans absolutely did clap the substitution of turner. He received nothing but vitriol all night with many shouting turncoat at him. He had a poor game but so did the whole team. The blue army loyalty club are not true fans at all, glorified thugs only there for a piss up and something to complain about. They only sing and bang their drum when they are beating the piss out of athlone.

Really disappointed by some of the supporters last night particularly the blue army loyalty club. The fans absolutely did clap the substitution of turner. He received nothing but vitriol all night with many shouting turncoat at him. He had a poor game but so did the whole team. The blue army loyalty club are not true fans at all, glorified thugs only there for a piss up and something to complain about. They only sing and bang their drum when they are beating the piss out of athlone.

Yeah the lads who go to every game home and away, who'll probably be the only fans up in Derry and create a bit of atmosphere aren't true fans :rolleyes:

And everyone cheered Tosi not going off, could have been anyone going off and would have been the same reaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

I like how you didn't even try and argue against the abuse and vitriol they flung from the stands all night. They only go to Derry and harps etc for the piss up. I've been on the away bus trip, it's nothing more than an excuse to get trollied and shout abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

And everyone cheered Tosi not going off, could have been anyone going off and would have been the same reaction.

And how does that make it any better? Thought the reaction from "SUPPORTERS'' was embarrassing as well. Worse than the performance of our own players on the night.

And how does that make it any better? Thought the reaction from "SUPPORTERS'' was embarrassing as well. Worse than the performance of our own players on the night.

When you're losing one nil with less then ten minutes left and you think the manager is about to replace a striker with another winger you're hardly gonna stand there, clap and think great sub Martin.
    I like how you didn't even try and argue against the abuse and vitriol they flung from the stands all night. They only go to Derry and harps etc for the piss up. I've been on the away bus trip, it's nothing more than an excuse to get trollied and shout abuse

Yeah I'm sure lads only go to Derry or Harps to drink when its alot easier and cheaper to just get trollied as you put it in Limerick. If you've got a problem with them all well and good but to say they aint true fans is a joke. They organise buses to games to get fans who might not have there own way of going to games, even trying to get family friendly buses organised for people with kids (something the official supporters club couldn't be arsed doing, think Galway October 2015 is the last time they organised a bus to a league game) and without them the markets field would be like a library.

I wasnt in the stands so couldnt tell you what was said, I was over on the hill and can tell you he also got abused from that side too as did Duggie, Hery, Lee J and Tosi.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

I admit the Blue army club really do add to the occasion and create a decent atmosphere in the ground. During the relegation season when they were banned from Jackman Park the team fell apart on the pitch. However I really disliked the booing of our own players and from where I was siting is was directed at Turner from those in the Blue army. Ian Turner was brilliant against sligo (apart from the penalty) and there was no way he deserved the humiliation he got last night. Its looking like it will be one hell of a scrap this year and negativity from the stands wont help us.

I admit the Blue army club really do add to the occasion and create a decent atmosphere in the ground. During the relegation season when they were banned from Jackman Park the team fell apart on the pitch. However I really disliked the booing of our own players and from where I was siting is was directed at Turner from those in the Blue army. Ian Turner was brilliant against sligo (apart from the penalty) and there was no way he deserved the humiliation he got last night. Its looking like it will be one hell of a scrap this year and negativity from the stands wont help us.

Yeah them couple of months up in Jackman two years ago were grim.

The booing was directed at the thought we were taking a striker off for a winger when chasing the game. Unfortunately for Turner he was on the end of a boo boo from the linesman mixing up the subs, could have been anyone else even Duggie and would have been the same reaction. Now I wasn't up in the stands so don't know if some lads bood Turner as he left the field but there was a lot of 'about f'ing time' from the popular side as he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Visaquestion

I was at the game and the fans in the stand were definitely cheering the fact that Turner was being taken off. I thought it was bad form really

• Advertisement

I was at the game and the fans in the stand were definitely cheering the fact that Turner was being taken off. I thought it was bad form really

Or cheering that the fact that a striker wasn't being replaced by a winger while we were a goal down and chasing the game. As I said before Turner was just unfortunate that it was him going off and that the fourth official made the mistake of mixing the subs up.

There was no mix-up.

The number '10' was correctly raised for Bohemians' Keith Ward.

A certain section of the Limerick support understandably booed this, thinking that Rodrigo Tosi was being called ashore.

As it happened, both teams were actually making changes simultaneously, with Limerick's swap of Kenny for Turner announced second.

The cheer was almost certainly in recognition of that fact, rather than in joy at Turner's removal.

Now having said that, Turner WAS getting significant stick from some quarters in the second-half, prior to his removal.

But to say his removal was cheered is probably wrong, to be fair.

AlanOB wrote: »
    There was no mix-up.

The number '10' was correctly raised for Bohemians' Keith Ward.

A certain section of the Limerick support understandably booed this, thinking that Rodrigo Tosi was being called ashore.

As it happened, both teams were actually making changes simultaneously, with Limerick's swap of Kenny for Turner announced second.

The cheer was almost certainly in recognition of that fact, rather than in joy at Turner's removal.

Now having said that, Turner WAS getting significant stick from some quarters in the second-half, prior to his removal.

But to say his removal was cheered is probably wrong, to be fair.

Looking at the fourth official as he made the subs and it's something I've never noticed before but will make sure to look out for it at Saturday's game but I think they use different colours on the board for each team. Cause I'm 90% sure the first time number ten went up it was a dark yellow and Tosi was coming off but when he put it up a second time for Bohs it was more dark orange.

Everyone was getting stick though, Turner and Clarke will get it over leaving when we got relegated but Duggie got some amount of stick from people over his performance on Monday night.

You could be right.

Either way I'm supporting your contention that Turner's removal wasn't -- necessarily -- cheered.

Plenty of players were getting stick, and rightly so.

Initially I also thought that people were cheering Turner being substituted, especially given the criticism he was getting in the second half, but the explanation that what was being cheered was the fact that the number raised was not Tosi's number, is fair enough.

Moving on, it was a really poor performance. I'd say that the trip to Dundalk took a lot out of them, as the way we play involves a lot of movement and energy.

But also, when we come up against teams who defend deep and wide, giving our wingers little space, we will struggle to create. And as teams work this out (not difficult, it was the same 2 seasons ago) we will face that tactic more and more.

osarusan wrote: »
    Plenty of players were getting stick, and rightly so.

But also, when we come up against teams who defend deep and wide, giving our wingers little space, we will struggle to create. And as teams work this out (not difficult, it was the same 2 seasons ago) we will face that tactic more and more.

Saturday will be the exact same as the Bohs match. Harps will come to defend and play for a draw hoping to maybe nick a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Where's the best (and safest) place to park near enough the markets field ?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I usually park on Lelia St, which is just off Clare St (near Griffins funeral home). I've never had any issues there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya whatever you do don't park around the Markets Field. One lad I know had his wing mirror knocked off on Monday night and last season another lad I know had his tyres slashed.

I usually park around John's square or top of William Street.

• Advertisement

Limerick 1-1 Finn Harps

(Tosi)

After an hour of truly diabolical football, Limerick mounted a comeback but couldn't manage to grab all three points.
    That aimless, pointless passing across the back 4 was present for all of the first half, and it cost us a goal when a mis-hit pass meant Freddy Hall rushed a clearance straight to a Harps player who just kicked it past him into the net. A pathetic goal to give away, but always a possibility the way we play. Harps sat deep and we were completely unable to break them down, with just a few shots from distance to report.

It was much the same in the second half, but we gradually pressed them a bit deeper, and when we finally, finally, finally got a decent delivery into the box, from substitute Turner, Tosi powered home a header. We nearly nicked it at the end when Robbie Williams headed against the post.

The referee's terrible management of Harps' time-wasting made him the pantomime villian at the end, but we played really poorly and we still have no idea how to break down a team defending deep in front of us.

Next game: away to Derry (postponed game), Tuesday March 21st.

Next weekend: away to Bray, Saturday March 25th.

Advertisement