Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2017 season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

What odds is Russell with the bookies to be the first manager sacked, could do with winning some easy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

In-depth analysis of the game here, for those who fancy a read: http://bit.ly/2mfjkxn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

Really disgraceful performance and again shocking display of vitriol from the blue army.

Firstly the team were rubbish. Only hery looked like he was making any sort of effort in the first half. Mulhall and Stephen kenny aren't up to the standard of premier.

Goal was despicable. Response from the fans equally so. The leader of the group rained torrential abuse down on his own team and opposition all night. He continually mocked paddy mccourt calling him the ugliest man in the Loi and scarecrow face head man.

This is a man who has played champions league and whose wife has a brain tumour and vitriol fired at him by a fat lump in the crowd. O Sullivan should ban these scummbags.

Team again rubbish in second half. Bizarre sub taking off hery for another player poc who isn't up to the standard. Turner came on and immediately made something, we were crying out for Ogbene and the transfer seems more bizarre with Russel refusing to use him. Dean Clarke was off the pace. Russel is a dead man walking at this stage.

He continually mocked paddy mccourt calling him the ugliest man in the Loi and scarecrow face head man.

I believe the scarecrow face head man you refer to is this man https://www.google.ie/search?q=ollie+horgan&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilq-vjruHSAhVsD8AKHatUBdcQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=512 and yes Ollie Horgan is the ugliest man in league of Ireland football so he wasn't telling no lies but at least that scarecrow knows how to organise his team even if they are a bunch of diving ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Really disgraceful performance and again shocking display of vitriol from the blue army.

Firstly the team were rubbish. Only hery looked like he was making any sort of effort in the first half. Mulhall and Stephen kenny aren't up to the standard of premier.

Goal was despicable. Response from the fans equally so. The leader of the group rained torrential abuse down on his own team and opposition all night. He continually mocked paddy mccourt calling him the ugliest man in the Loi and scarecrow face head man.

This is a man who has played champions league and whose wife has a brain tumour and vitriol fired at him by a fat lump in the crowd. O Sullivan should ban these scummbags.

Team again rubbish in second half. Bizarre sub taking off hery for another player poc who isn't up to the standard. Turner came on and immediately made something, we were crying out for Ogbene and the transfer seems more bizarre with Russel refusing to use him. Dean Clarke was off the pace. Russel is a dead man walking at this stage.

Have to disagree with you on a few things.

Hery looked ordinary yesterday, got caught in possession too often, lost the ball and was so slow getting the ball forward.

Mulhall looked lively and threat, was the only player looking for the ball and trying to get us forward in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya I thought Hery was very poor yesterday. He lost the ball on numerous occasions and didn't like pressure being applied. It was only when Paul O Connor came on and actually started getting stuck in a bit more that we started getting some bit of midfield dominance. Paddy McCourt barely ran yesterday but also hadn't much to do.

They defended really wide cutting off our wide men and it worked as we offered nothing else. Tosi' touch was septic yesterday which stopped any bit of hold up play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think we lose possession a bit easily in midfield as we are trying to find space between their midfield and defence.

So Duggan or Hery will drop to pick it up from the back 4, but they still have a midfield 4 in front of them, and they resort to something risky to try and break that line. A quick one two or a sudden change of direction...but if they lose possession, we're suddenly in trouble.

I honestly think we should just Clarke and Ogbene on the wings, get them to play centrally to create space out wide, and then make runs towards the sideline, and have the fullbacks play balls down the line.

And the fullbacks should both be swinging the ball into the box when they get the chance, rather than desperately trying to set the wingers up for a cross.

It's all really simple stuff, but we'd have more attacking presence than we do now.

osarusan wrote: »
    I think we lose possession a bit easily in midfield as we are trying to find space between their midfield and defence.

So Duggan or Hery will drop to pick it up from the back 4, but they still have a midfield 4 in front of them, and they resort to something risky to try and break that line. A quick one two or a sudden change of direction...but if they lose possession, we're suddenly in trouble.

I honestly think we should just Clarke and Ogbene on the wings, get them to play centrally to create space out wide, and then make runs towards the sideline, and have the fullbacks play balls down the line.

And the fullbacks should both be swinging the ball into the box when they get the chance, rather than desperately trying to set the wingers up for a cross.

It's all really simple stuff, but we'd have more attacking presence than we do now.

The one way you could do that and it would accommodate the four midfielders we have is to play something like

Tosi
    Ogbene/Clarke - Hery - Lee J
    Duggan - POC

Lee J done well yesterday and often drifted out right to link up with Turner and Kelly, think it was Lee J who slipped Turner through to cross for Tosi. Lee J wouldnt be your traditional winger who'd hug the touchline and will come in central to create that over lap for Kelly.

As Alan O'Brien mentioned Hery is more suited to that 10 role instead of playing deeper and I think he's played okay in the last two games with his two main pluses being able to hold the ball up and little through balls to slip players into space which is what you want him to do but in the final third for players like Ogbene, Clarke, Tosi and Lee J instead of doing it as your holding midfielder when the opposition have nearly the whole team behind the ball.

Paul O'Connor will be your box to box midfielder coming back to break up play and then busting a gut to make them late runs into the box something which you don't get with Hery and Duggan playing as your midfield two and Duggan will be your holding midfielder whose there to defend and start up attacks.

Back four picks itself at the moment unfortunately and at this stage I think it's time Brendan Clarke is given a start at this stage.

The one way you could do that and it would accommodate the four midfielders we have is to play something like

Tosi
    Ogbene/Clarke - Hery - Lee J
    Duggan - POC

Lee J done well yesterday and often drifted out right to link up with Turner and Kelly, think it was Lee J who slipped Turner through to cross for Tosi. Lee J wouldnt be your traditional winger who'd hug the touchline and will come in central to create that over lap for Kelly.

As Alan O'Brien mentioned Hery is more suited to that 10 role instead of playing deeper and I think he's played okay in the last two games with his two main pluses being able to hold the ball up and little through balls to slip players into space which is what you want him to do but in the final third for players like Ogbene, Clarke, Tosi and Lee J instead of doing it as your holding midfielder when the opposition have nearly the whole team behind the ball.

Paul O'Connor will be your box to box midfielder coming back to break up play and then busting a gut to make them late runs into the box something which you don't get with Hery and Duggan playing as your midfield two and Duggan will be your holding midfielder whose there to defend and start up attacks.

Back four picks itself at the moment unfortunately and at this stage I think it's time Brendan Clarke is given a start at this stage.

With the lack of pace we have in Robbie and Tony, I think we need a sweeper like Freddy. He cost us the goal yesterday but his pace is needed to compensate for the lack of legs in the middle of us defence

Unlikely that anybody thinking of making the trip wouldn't already know this, but Limerick's away match with Derry tomorrow night has been cancelled after the sudden death of their captain Ryan McBride.

Also, even though we beat them a while back, Cobh Ramblers have been reinstated to the Munster Senior Cup at Limerick's expense after we were found to have fielded an ineligible player in that game (Tosi).

Not too bothered about it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Lads can tickets be got online these days? Not living in Limerick and want to get tickets for upcoming games

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Lads can tickets be got online these days? Not living in Limerick and want to get tickets for upcoming games

No, the ticketing situation is a bit of a mess at the moment. You can't get them online and can only get them at one business in Limerick (butcher in Athlunkard) and one business in Bruff.

That said, the ticket booths open an hour before kickoff, and if you arrive early, you should have no problems picking up tickets on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

We're still at that craic so! I'll get onto my brother i'd say, as Cork will be a sell out i'd imagine

Live coverage of tomorrow's Bray visit, featuring Noel O'Connor, here from 19.25: www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live

AlanOB wrote: »
    Live coverage of tomorrow's Bray visit, featuring Noel O'Connor, here from 19.25: www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live

Do you know if Mike and Paul are doing commentary tomorrow?

Bray Wanderers 0-1 Limerick

(O'Conor)

Limerick started well and took the lead after just a few minutes. Tosi controlled a cross and backheeled the ball to set up O'Conor, who absolutely smashed a 20 yard shot past the keeper into the corner of the net. It was a superb strike.

We kept up an attacking presence for the rest of the first half, with Ogbene on the left wing causing them a lot of trouble and linking up well with Tosi. Robbie Williams crashed a free kick off the crossbar also. Bray didn't create much - had decent possession and territory, but no clear chances.

In the second half we slowly became more defensive, and had to soak up a lot of pressure in the last 20 minutes. But we did so pretty comfortably, with Bray only managing a couple of shots from distance and crosses into the box. It was a fairly comfortable night for Brendan Clarke in goals.

A great 3 points to pick up after the previous 2 home games, and sets us up nicely for the game against all-conquering Cork.

Next game: home to Cork, Friday March 31st, 7.45pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 BigBulldog

They are only doing 250 concession tickets from now on. My old man had to pay 15 quid the last night. Poor form trying to cream students and oaps. Half the crowd are over 65 diehards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

BigBulldog wrote: »
    They are only doing 250 concession tickets from now on. My old man had to pay 15 quid the last night. Poor form trying to cream students and oaps. Half the crowd are over 65 diehards

Hardly?!

That's a horrendous policy..

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Hardly?!

That's a horrendous policy..

Most sports teams/organisations limit concession tickets. Clubs can barely keep their heads above water so I wouldn't call it creaming people.

A lot of people also go in on concession tickets that don't actually qualify so I'd imagine it's something they will try and clamp down on. Those going in on student and Oap tickets that are not students or oaps are ruining it for the genuine ones.

Poor form indeed, how hard is it to prove that someone is an oap or student. If Limerick are losing money because people are abusing concession tickets then Limerick need to have a word with people selling the tickets or checking the tickets and not limiting the number of tickets.

The ticket situation at the moment with only being able to buy them a couple of hours before a match unless you visit a butcher's or a shop in bruff is a joke and limiting the number of concession tickets now is gonna turn away some fans.

• Advertisement

Poor form indeed, how hard is it to prove that someone is an oap or student. If Limerick are losing money because people are abusing concession tickets then Limerick need to have a word with people selling the tickets or checking the tickets and not limiting the number of tickets.

The ticket situation at the moment with only being able to buy them a couple of hours before a match unless you visit a butcher's or a shop in bruff is a joke and limiting the number of concession tickets now is gonna turn away some fans.

Finding places to sell tickets would be an issue. Then trying to collect and make sure all monies are accounted for is the second issue.

It's harder than you think. You've seen the queues. Add delays asking for student ids and proof of births and you will have an issue. I know of a guy in his 30's who is full time employed that goes in on student tickets. I've seen people in their 50's asking for OAP tickets and when refused they have abused the ticket sellers. A lot of the time it's not worth the hassle for the ticket sellers who sometimes are volunteers so they just give out the tickets.

It costs an absolute fortune to run a LOI club and I honestly can't understand the people who try abuse the system. It ruins it for the genuine people. They want to see a good team on the pitch but aren't willing to pay for it.

As I mentioned above though most sporting organisations have limited concession tickets.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Finding places to sell tickets would be an issue. Then trying to collect and make sure all monies are accounted for is the second issue.

It's harder than you think. You've seen the queues. Add delays asking for student ids and proof of births and you will have an issue. I know of a guy in his 30's who is full time employed that goes in on student tickets. I've seen people in their 50's asking for OAP tickets and when refused they have abused the ticket sellers. A lot of the time it's not worth the hassle for the ticket sellers who sometimes are volunteers so they just give out the tickets.

It costs an absolute fortune to run a LOI club and I honestly can't understand the people who try abuse the system. It ruins it for the genuine people. They want to see a good team on the pitch but aren't willing to pay for it.

As I mentioned above though most sporting organisations have limited concession tickets.

Cork, Derry and Galway sell their tickets online, heck you could even buy your ticket for going up to Bray online, ask somewhere like Arthur's Quay can they set up a pop up stall in the shopping centre to sell tickets in return for free advertising or use the pop up shop they use for selling merchandise on match night to sell tickets leading up to games the way they did for the play offs two years ago.

It's not that hard to have another ticket desk for concessions only, no student card then you go queue at the other desk and I'm sure oaps have a card too for collecting pension so won't have to bring the birth cert or passport with them.

Cork, Derry and Galway sell their tickets online, heck you could even buy your ticket for going up to Bray online, ask somewhere like Arthur's Quay can they set up a pop up stall in the shopping centre to sell tickets in return for free advertising or use the pop up shop they use for selling merchandise on match night to sell tickets leading up to games the way they did for the play offs two years ago.

It's not that hard to have another ticket desk for concessions only, no student card then you go queue at the other desk and I'm sure oaps have a card too for collecting pension so won't have to bring the birth cert or passport with them.

They used to sell them online but not sure 100% of the reason they stopped.

To have a seperate queue for concessions you need to find someone to man it. Which is very hard as it is.

Similarly for a stall in Arthur's Quay you would have to find someone to man the stall. Volunteers are already extremely thin on the ground so then you would need to employ someone. That's another cost to the club.

Jofspring wrote: »
    They used to sell them online but not sure 100% of the reason they stopped.

To have a seperate queue for concessions you need to find someone to man it. Which is very hard as it is.

Similarly for a stall in Arthur's Quay you would have to find someone to man the stall. Volunteers are already extremely thin on the ground so then you would need to employ someone. That's another cost to the club.

Also Arthur's Quay would want money for a stand, and from knowing people who run business' in that centre, their management are penny pitchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

Pat's roaring at Martin last night was a beyond a joke!! I get the guy is passionate and just wants to see us do well, but it smacks of unprofessionalism, and shows off a real air of lacking confidence in your manager.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Pat's roaring at Martin last night was a beyond a joke!! I get the guy is passionate and just wants to see us do well, but it smacks of unprofessionalism, and shows off a real air of lacking confidence in your manager.

Ya Pat has been at that for the last 5 years. The best thing to happen was probably having the dugouts at the opposite side of the pitch to the stand in the Markets Field because it means management can't hear Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

On the online ticketing issue. I think the club would be wise to consider using something like EventBrite (even in the short term). I've used it to purchase tickets for events here in Limerick and further afield and it works really well, with tickets being available through their (Eventbrites) app on your phone.

RE Pat: You could hear his ''thoughts" coming through loud and clear on the online coverage of the Bray game. The two boys commentating kept referring to him as a "prominent Limerick supporter".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ha, it was my first away trip so I guess thats why it really stood out. It's something we've gotten used to in MF alright!

RE Pat: You could hear his ''thoughts" coming through loud and clear on the online coverage of the Bray game. The two boys commentating kept referring to him as a "prominent Limerick supporter".

You can listen back to the aforementioned broadcast here, with our unexpected special guest proving particularly vocal late on!

• Advertisement

For anybody interested in attending this game, please note that the Stand has already sold out (or is very very close to sold out). It might be worthwhile to try and pick up tickets if still available, or even terrace tickets.

Away section sold out too I believe.

Advertisement