Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2017 season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Weird decision at a strange time. Is it a case pos wanted Europe and Russell didn't agree. Apparently he was called to a meeting after the bohs and harps game and told his job was on the line

3 teams automatically relegated at the end of the season, so you can't let things drag on too long. At the start, we might have thought that at least 3 of Bohs, Harps, Galway, Drogheda, and maybe Bray and Pats would be below us at the end of the season.

The way Russell was outmanaged by both Bohs and Harps, you wouldn't bet against that if he'd stayed in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Big money being spent and Russell was given the budget he wanted to challenge for top 4. We are nowhere near a top 4 team at the moment the way we are playing and from what we have seen the last 3 years that wasn't going to change.

I have seen people giving out it's too early to have sacked him but if they were put in a position of spending massive money and not getting results I'm sure similar action would be taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Jofspring wrote: »
    Big money being spent and Russell was given the budget he wanted to challenge for top 4. We are nowhere near a top 4 team at the moment the way we are playing and from what we have seen the last 3 years that wasn't going to change.

I have seen people giving out it's too early to have sacked him but if they were put in a position of spending massive money and not getting results I'm sure similar action would be taken.

Limerick are about 16 months too late with the sacking of Russell or even longer imo. Where else would you see a manger go 21 games with a win and 7 points from a possible 63? Other fans are saying it's unfair and too early but I wonder would they have a different opinion if Russell was their manager.

Willie John Boland has been appointed interim manager, with Gamble and Hickey continuing in their roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

...And you can hear how he gets on in Richmond Park on Friday night, by tuning in to myself, and debuting Limerick FC veteran Conor Molan, on Limerick Soccer Live: www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Limerick are about 16 months too late with the sacking of Russell or even longer imo. Where else would you see a manger go 21 games with a win and 7 points from a possible 63? Other fans are saying it's unfair and too early but I wonder would they have a different opinion if Russell was their manager.
    This O'Sullivan fella is beginning to display the egomaniacal traits of many of those in similar positions in professional sport, particularly in Britain. Perhaps he fancies a stint in the dugout himself.

Pats slowly easing his way out of the club or at least taking more of a back seat so I wouldn't worry too much about him to be honest. He has and continues to do great things for the club but I reckon other/new investors had a big part to play in recent activities and it would have been the boards decision to sack Russell rather than one man wheeling the axe.

chicorytip wrote: »
    This O'Sullivan fella is beginning to display the egomaniacal traits of many of those in similar positions in professional sport, particularly in Britain. Perhaps he fancies a stint in the dugout himself.

His post match interviews would make Soccer Republic a must watch haha.
    Jofspring wrote: »
    Pats slowly easing his way out of the club or at least taking more of a back seat so I wouldn't worry too much about him to be honest. He has and continues to do great things for the club but I reckon other/new investors had a big part to play in recent activities and it would have been the boards decision to sack Russell rather than one man wheeling the axe.

I think the day Pat decides he is done with the club is when he's six feet under or his health deteriorates but the day he does go will be challenging times for the club. The sacking of Russell was definitely a board decision and not just Pat, the club gave him every opportunity to pull things around but with the new investor coming in before the start of the season he'll want to protect his interests.

AlanOB wrote: »
    ...And you can hear how he gets on in Richmond Park on Friday night, by tuning in to myself, and debuting Limerick FC veteran Conor Molan, on Limerick Soccer Live: www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live

Quick reminder about this guys; coverage starts from 19.35 this evening.

Looking forward to it.

St. Pat's 0-2 Limerick

(Whitehead, O'Flynn)

Super away win for Limerick against a team that had 2 wins in a row. We weathered some early pressure and got well into the game ourselves. We took the lead when Duggan curled in a low inswinging freekick and Tony Whitehead at the near post flicked it behind him with his heel, completely deceiving the keeper.

We were the better team for the rest of the half but still needed a super point blank save from Clarke after a corner had been flicked on to the far post.

It was one-way traffic for much of the second half. Clarke made a number of excellent saves, and their forward slipped with the goal at his mercy. Even when Sean Kelly was penalised for handball, Clarke saved the penalty and then pushed the rebound effort against the post.

Just when it seemed like we would crack, we scored again. Ogbene broke quickly down the right and centered for substitute O'Flynn to sidefoot home.

That killed them, and O'Flynn should have made it three after another break, but it didn't matter at that late stage.

Next game: home to Drogheda, Saturday April 15th.

• Advertisement

Three quick thoughts on Willie John Boland's maiden victory at the Limerick FC helm...

St Patrick's Athletic 0-2 Limerick: Russell blueprint plots fortunate triumph over naive Saints

patslim1.jpg

RTE highlights here of the St. Pats v Limerick game, starting at 22m 49s.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/soccer-republic-30002764/10712238/

Noel O'Connor returns to my side this evening, for live coverage of Drogheda United's visit to the Markets Field; from 6.20pm at www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live

Limerick 3-0 Drogheda

(Tosi, Mulhall, Ogbene)

Limerick were utterly dominant for the entire match tonight against a very poor Drogheda team. We were fast out of the blocks and went ahead after just 3 minutes, when Tosi glanced an inswinging corner past the keeper.

We kept up the pressure and were 2-0 up just 10 minutes later, Ogbene cutting inside and firing a cross-shot that Mulhall diverted past a completely wrong-footed keeper. We could have had another three before half-time, with Ogbene and Tosi having more chances, the best of which came when the Drogheda defenders and keeper waited for each other to deal with a ball over the top, which Tosi nipped in to steal, but the keeper managed to get down at Tosi's feet to save.

Drogheda finished the first half with a couple of corners and nearly forced an own-goal, but in the second half it was all Limerick again. Ogbene ran through and even though he looked to have lost it, he muscled the defender off the ball and fired a shot which deflected over the keeper and in.

We never letup and kept creating chances. Lynch crashed a shot against the crossbar after a lovely piece of passing, and Tosi released substitute Clarke to cut inside and have another shot pushed onto the crossbar.

A thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes.

Next game: Home to Cork, League Cup, on Monday 17th April, 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

osarusan wrote: »
    Limerick 3-0 Drogheda

(Tosi, Mulhall, Ogbene)

Limerick were utterly dominant for the entire match tonight against a very poor Drogheda team. We were fast out of the blocks and went ahead after just 3 minutes, when Tosi glanced an inswinging corner past the keeper.

We kept up the pressure and were 2-0 up just 10 minutes later, Ogbene cutting inside and firing a cross-shot that Mulhall diverted past a completely wrong-footed keeper. We could have had another three before half-time, with Ogbene and Tosi having more chances, the best of which came when the Drogheda defenders and keeper waited for each other to deal with a ball over the top, which Tosi nipped in to steal, but the keeper managed to get down at Tosi's feet to save.

Drogheda finished the first half with a couple of corners and nearly forced an own-goal, but in the second half it was all Limerick again. Ogbene ran through and even though he looked to have lost it, he muscled the defender off the ball and fired a shot which deflected over the keeper and in.

We never letup and kept creating chances. Lynch crashed a shot against the crossbar after a lovely piece of passing, and Tosi released substitute Clarke to cut inside and have another shot pushed onto the crossbar.

A thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes.

Next game: Home to Cork, League Cup, on Monday 17th April, 5pm.

Rumours that Roy Keane was at the game tonight???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Rumours that Roy Keane was at the game tonight???

Yeah he was at the game tonight, down by the away fans he was.

Analysis piece on the game here, for those minded to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Yeah he was at the game tonight, down by the away fans he was.

Why was he at it

Why was he at it

Just fancied watching a game of ball I'd say, could be after the manager's job or watching players.

• Advertisement

Just down to watch a game I'd say. Possibly did a double header with the Munster match.

AlanOB wrote: »
    Noel O'Connor returns to my side this evening, for live coverage of Drogheda United's visit to the Markets Field; from 6.20pm at www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live

Back again tomorrow, from 4.50pm, for the EA Sports Cup visit of Cork City!

League Cup 2nd Round: Limerick 0-3 Cork

Cork's 2nd string comfortably beat Limerick's 2nd string this evening. Cork were the better side for most of the game, with Limerick, who had 10 changes from Saturday night, looking pretty disjointed.

We seemed to have survived one of the longest goalmouth scrambles you'll ever see, with the ball pinging around the goal for about 6 chances, but we never cleared properly or got reorganised, and when the ball was crossed back into the box a Cork player headed past Clark.

We came into the game a bit but struggled to create much, and were under relative pressure (given the pedestrian pace of the entire game) for most of the second half. Cork went 2 up when a corner to the near post was flicked past his own keeper by Shane Tracy (I think).

As the half went on, fitness became an issue too and we looked ragged defensively, with Cork finally taking advantage, exploiting poor play by Turner and Cotter to beat Clark one on one. As the game petered out, Cork could have had a couple more but for poor finishing and good keeping.

Not much of a game really, although we got a look at some lads on the fringes. Kainz and Walsh looked like they might be decent if they got up to speed, while Turner and Kenny had poor games. Cotter was shaky (is he even a centre-half?).

Boland didn't have Tosi, Duggan, Williams, Ogbene, O'Conor, and Kelly on the bench, and didn't use Lynch or Mulhall either. All fair enough - the league is what matters.

Next game: home versus Galway, Friday 21st April, 7.45pm.

osarusan wrote: »
    Not much of a game really, although we got a look at some lads on the fringes. Kainz and Walsh looked like they might be decent if they got up to speed, while Turner and Kenny had poor games. Cotter was shaky (is he even a centre-half?).

Boland didn't have Tosi, Duggan, Williams, Ogbene, O'Conor, and Kelly on the bench, and didn't use Lynch or Mulhall either. All fair enough - the league is what matters.

Only for Limerick offered Turner a contract he'd be down playing first division football with Cobh or Waterford and Kenny was playing out of position in centre midfield so wouldn't be too harsh on him.

Barry Cotter came into the club as a striker two years ago at u17s but was switched to right back/centre back last season and has been watched by Everton at times. He was shaky at times but was his first appearance for the club in a back four that never played together before alongside Kainz who was making his debut, Dave O'Connor whose only played 70 odd minutes before tonight and Shane Tracy whose only back from being out injured for three months I think.

Edit: Also wouldn't call that Corks second string team. Five of the starting 11 started the FAI cup final, Delaney has been a regular starter this year for them at centre back and Dunleavy is or was club captain for them but struggled with injuries for them and only coming back from injury i think. Four of that starting 11 started the other game a few weeks ago and Bolger would have played but was injured.

You can listen back to Limerick Soccer Live's coverage of the game here: http://mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live/showreel/limerick-fc-0-3-cork-city-apr-17-easc16/

Thoughts on the game here, also: https://twitter.com/alanob2112/status/854061416004956160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Martin Russell on Soccer Republic!

Edit: Also wouldn't call that Corks second string team. Five of the starting 11 started the FAI cup final, Delaney has been a regular starter this year for them at centre back and Dunleavy is or was club captain for them but struggled with injuries for them and only coming back from injury i think. Four of that starting 11 started the other game a few weeks ago and Bolger would have played but was injured.
    Yeah, actually I don't think Caulfield rested as many players as he'd hinted he would. It was much closer to their first team than ours was.

On Soccer Republic, Russell was very diplomatic about the whole thing - views exchanged, difference of opinion, mutual decision, no hard feelings, best of luck to Limerick.

A few minutes of footage of Limerick's 3-0 win over Drogheda here, starting at 45.30.

• Advertisement

Limerick 1-1 Galway

(Williams)

I wasn't able to go to this game due to family plans, so I am just going off reports.

We took the lead in the first half through Robbie Williams but conceded a late equaliser.

Next game: away to Derry, Tuesday April 25th.

Advertisement