Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC 2017 season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Live audio analysis of this evening's Derry game, for those unable to attend, at www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live, as usual.

Noel O'Connor will be my second for this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick 1-1 Derry

(Ogbene)

Limerick needed a last-gasp equaliser to avoid defeat tonight.

It was a strange game, played almost like a pre-season friendly. Derry were happy to sit deep and try to get something on the break, while we were reluctant to take too many chances in attack, so it was pretty much a stalemate for much of the game. We did force a good double save from their keeper when Clarke cut inside to shoot, and the save found its way to Duggan, who made the keeper produce another save. Derry had a similar chance, a shot was parried by Clarke and he had to get up to punch the ball away from an onrushing striker.

The game continued at the same pace in the second half, with everything just slow and half-hearted. You got the feeling that one goal would decide it, and after Limerick missed good chances, especially when Ogbene inexplicably dallied when he should have shot, we were punished when Derry scored a free header from a corner with only 10 minutes left.

We still found a way to mess up a couple of promising positions, and as the heavens opened, it looked like a miserable end to a miserable game. But in the dying moments, Robbie Williams fired a cross that was deflected and made its way across the 6-yard box, avoiding everybody until it reached Ogbene, who took an age to control it and eventually fire a scuffed, mis-hit shot down into the ground and up over the keeper's dive.

A great ending, but it shouldn't mask a pretty lazy, mundane performance for much of the game.

Next game: home to Dundalk, Friday, May 19th, 7.45pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

High probability I'll go to see Limerick away to Cork on June 16 as it's my birthday and I'm on holidays from work. Just wondering is it just the Blue Army that do buses or do the OSC do them also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

According to the Leader Limerick F.C. is "awaiting the arrival" of a new manager this week. Does this suggest that the current caretaker will not be entrusted with the job on a full time basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

High probability I'll go to see Limerick away to Cork on June 16 as it's my birthday and I'm on holidays from work. Just wondering is it just the Blue Army that do buses or do the OSC do them also?

OSC try to get buses going if the demand is there I think. Talking to one of the Blue Army lads a few weeks ago and he was saying a lot of people are already enquiring about the trip to Cork so the demand is big so I'd say there could be one or two Blue Army buses going (hopefully) and the OSC should have one going too if they brought a bus to Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

chicorytip wrote: »
    According to the Leader Limerick F.C. is "awaiting the arrival" of a new manager this week. Does this suggest that the current caretaker will not be entrusted with the job on a full time basis?

Hearing rumours it's Craig Hignett? Emphasise the word 'rumours' though.

Current caretaker "technically" can't take the job but there's ways around that but he's also in charge of the academy and talk is he'd rather remain in that role instead of the senior coach and who can blame him.

gstack166 wrote:
    Hearing rumours it's Craig Hignett? Emphasise the word 'rumours' though.

He who was recently sacked by Hartlepool?

Blue Army have run a bus to every away game this season I think and I'm sure they will run one to that game too.

OSC run buses when they get the numbers - have run buses to the last 3 at least I think.

Both make announcements/calls for travelling supporters on their Facebook pages so it might be worth keeping an eye on both.

Current caretaker "technically" can't take the job but there's ways around that but he's also in charge of the academy and talk is he'd rather remain in that role instead of the senior coach and who can blame him.

The 'way round that' is that somebody else (and we know who) becomes the manager in name only while Willie continues to make the decisions.

It's a horrible idea, particularly for the in-name-only manager.

• Advertisement

In-depth analysis of Limerick/Derry contained within: Limerick 1-1 Derry City: Shiels’ Bielsa impression a qualified success at best

And you can also check out Limerick Soccer Live's broadcast of same here: http://mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live/showreel/limerick-fc-1-1-derry-city-may-13-pd/

osarusan wrote: »
    The 'way round that' is that somebody else (and we know who) becomes the manager in name only while Willie continues to make the decisions.

It's a horrible idea, particularly for the in-name-only manager.

If Tommy Barrett is happy to stay in charge of the 19s and take the job in name only while assisting Willie then I see nothing wrong with that, would rather Willie/Tommy over another Stuart Taylor situation.

Hopefully this is all sorted and a new manager is in place this week, the last two performances haven't been great and a sense of stability in having a first team manager should give the lads a confidence boost going into the Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Word is that Willie doesn't have an interest in the job full time at the moment.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Word is that Willie doesn't have an interest in the job full time at the moment.

Who could blame him. He's in charge of the academy and having watched him putting on training sessions and working with the younger lads he loves it.

Also if he was to take the first team job the club would need to bring in another person to do Willies job with the academy and what's to say the first team then don't go on a losing streak and Willie gets the sack and is left with no job. Smart choice for him right now is to stay where he is especially with the new under age leagues coming in this year and next year.

Brief Soccer Republic highlights of the 1-1 draw with Derry here, starting at 44.04.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/soccer-republic-30002764/10726582/?ap=1

There's a lovely bit of low-angle footage of Ogbene's goal, from the far corner with the stand in the background, and everybody rising in unison. I can even make myself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 E.Scifo

Manager being introduced at a 10am press conference tomorrow morning...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

E.Scifo wrote: »
    Manager being introduced at a 10am press conference tomorrow morning...:)

Steve Watson formerly Newcastle, Everton and Villa is the guy apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Steve Watson formerly Newcastle, Everton and Villa is the guy apparently

Definitely? Seems half the people are saying Watson and the other half are saying McDonald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Limerick are playing Janesboro in that charity cup game on June 13 apparently. Three days before Cork away.

Limerick are playing Janesboro in that charity cup game on June 13 apparently. Three days before Cork away.

That will be Limerick's 19s along with lads like Turner, Kenny and Kainz.

According to Colm Kinsella from the leader Neil McDonald is gonna be new manager unveiled tomorrow.

• Advertisement

According to Colm Kinsella from the leader Neil McDonald is gonna be new manager unveiled tomorrow.

How long will he remain? I think British managers and coaches regard these kind of posts as stepping stones or stopgaps in their careers and are gone once a suitable opportunity arises back home. I would prefer to see a capable local candidate, who has genuine commitment, given the role.

How long will he remain? I think British managers and coaches regard these kind of posts as stepping stones or stopgaps in their careers and are gone once a suitable opportunity arises back home. I would prefer to see a capable local candidate, who has genuine commitment, given the role.

I generally think that in the off-season, an Irish manager is better as they'll know the players in the league, most of whom are free agents at the end of each season, and thus be able to put a squad together.

But if, like Limerick, you are in a position where you need to bring in a few players midseason, and all the decent Irish players are already with a club, then an overseas manager might be better as they'll be better able to bring in overseas players on short-term deals.

There's no doubt that McDonald (if he is confirmed) sees us as a stopgap, or maybe a way to repair his reputation somewhat. I would be surprised if he is with us at the start of next season. But that's ok - just like the players, the end of the season sees most managers reach the end of their contracts too - so hopefully we could get an Irish manager then.

Only local(if you are talking Limerick) candidate who has the badges to take the job would be Tommy Barrett and either the club don't rate him or he's not interested in it cause I don't think he was considered for it and Willie was named as interim manager even though Tommy is doing his Pro Licence.

osarusan wrote: »
    I generally think that in the off-season, an Irish manager is better as they'll know the players in the league, most of whom are free agents at the end of each season, and thus be able to put a squad together.

But if, like Limerick, you are in a position where you need to bring in a few players midseason, and all the decent Irish players are already with a club, then an overseas manager might be better as they'll be better able to bring in overseas players on short-term deals.

There's no doubt that McDonald (if he is confirmed) sees us as a stopgap, or maybe a way to repair his reputation somewhat. I would be surprised if he is with us at the start of next season. But that's ok - just like the players, the end of the season sees most managers reach the end of their contracts too - so hopefully we could get an Irish manager then.

Get onto Big Sam for one or two players on loan :D

Neil McDonald is confirmed as the new manager, on a deal that runs to the end of the 2019 season.

Just glad it wasn't Kevin Nugent. Should hopefully give the lads extra spark for the next few games before the summer break knowing McDonald will be looking towards the UK to strengthen over the summer and places are up for grabs.

Live audio analysis of Willie John Boland's final game in charge -- with the newly-hired McDonald by his side -- can be found at www.mixlr.com/limerick-soccer-live this evening.

Noel O'Connor will join me from 7.40.

Limerick 0-3 Dundalk

Neil McDonald will have plenty to think about after Dundalk's one-sided win in Limerick tonight.

It was actually a pretty even first 15 minutes, but the game changed completely on one incident. Barry Cotter got dispossessed in their half, and they exploited the space with a ball over the top in behind our defence. Brendan Clarke raced out of his area and managed to head the ball away from their striker, but it fell kindly for another Dundalk player who immediately lobbed the ball towards the net. Clarke was still outside his area when he handled it, and received a straight red card. Lee Lynch had to go off to allow Freddy Hall on as a substitute, and we were in deep trouble already.

It got worse 10 minutes later. Paul O'Conor was completely fooled by a dummy cross as a Dundalk player got into the box behind him, and he made a rash tackle, giving away a penalty, which was scored. 10 minutes after that it was 2-0. We were cut open down the right wing, and a perfect cross was met with a powerful near post header that gave Hall no chance.

The pace dropped in the second half, as Dundalk were content to control the tempo and keep us pinned back. Even in second gear they created a few decent chances and Freddy Hall was forced into a couple of good saves, while we were limited to crosses and a corner or two. Ogbene did well enough and Tosi won a few headers after he came on, but we had no idea how to break them down.

It would have been a victory of sorts to keep it to 2-0, but they scored a third right at the end, unlocking a tired and stretched Limerick defence with a through ball and a smart finish through Hall's legs.

Next game: away to Bohemians, Tuesday May 23rd, 7.45pm.
    Next weekend: away to Finn Harps, Friday May 26th, 7.45pm.

Was always gonna be a tough ask tonight giving the manager situation and then going down to ten men didn't help. Barry Cotter Corner is having some introduction to LOI football making his Limerick debut against Cork and his league debut against Dundalk.

Next three games are gonna be massive for the lads, two tricky away trips to Bohs and Harps with Bray at home. Should give McDonald plenty of in sight into what needs changing or who needs changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

Thought the second half was encouraging tonight actually. McDonald obviously changed things around at half time, moving to 3 at the back and even though we only had 10 men, we created a lot more in the second half than in the first. Did the Dundalk keeper even have to make a save in the first half? Once the changes were made in the second the passing and movement seemed to improve greatly and the team seemed more willing to use more of the pitch.

A poor result, but always on the cards after 2 stupid decisions from Clarke. But I felt the second half showed us that there might be a bright future under the new manager.

Advertisement