Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Nutrition

Options
  • 31-01-2017 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Please move this if it shouldn't be posted here.

Just wondering what everyones opinions are for eating habits when cycling? Im doing a 30km round commute each day.
    Breakfast usually consists of a bowl of porridge with a banana
    Lunch is usually some sort of sandwich or something similar.
    Dinner when I get home around 7pm consists of a cooked meal, mainly rice, chicken, potatoes, fish
    However, I'm finding that i'm pretty starving during the day and also quiet hungry when going to bed....
    What would people add to the above meal plan or any recommendations on some snacking foods?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

My commute is exactly the same...and meals are broadly similar too.
    I make nakd bars at home (dates/almonds/cocoa powder) and have one before I leave in the morning... Also have about 2/3 a bag of nuts between lunch and getting on the bike again, as well as a banana. Would probably have one of those nakd bars again after dinner, or some oat biscuits. Almond rice milk (lets not go there :)) puddings are good too for a snack in the evening, and added carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Please move this if it shouldn't be posted here.

Just wondering what everyones opinions are for eating habits when cycling? Im doing a 30km round commute each day.
    Breakfast usually consists of a bowl of porridge with a banana
    Lunch is usually some sort of sandwich or something similar.
    Dinner when I get home around 7pm consists of a cooked meal, mainly rice, chicken, potatoes, fish
    However, I'm finding that i'm pretty starving during the day and also quiet hungry when going to bed....
    What would people add to the above meal plan or any recommendations on some snacking foods?

Cheers

Not much, I would have thought. You presumably want to cycle to maintain shape/fitness/lose weight, so hunger is your constant companion..... :D

To be serious, your breakfast sounds fine. For lunch, avoid eating too much in the way of simple carbs (sandwiches are an easy lunch, but not great for you each day). Maybe try some superfood salads instead of the lunchtime sambo. Try keeping a bottle of cool water by you side and sip at it regularly during the day and see if its actually thirst rather than hunger that you are experiencing - you should easily get through a litre of water a day - more like 2L if you can manage it.

I've a weakness for peanuts - the big bags ! - so really need to avoid snacking too much on those, but they are good for energy and there are a lot worse snacks for you to hit - other nuts, like toasted almonds and brazils are a really tasty snack - try roasting your own. An awful lot of snack/cereal/granola type bars are full of stuff you dont really need.

Avoid anything after 9pm if you can; I would occasionally have a slice of toast if I really feel that hunger will keep me awake but try not to. I can sympathise with the sensation. You will have to take a trail and error approach to what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Thanks for the replies.

I'd agree with you both regarding a healthier lunch and so decent snacking. Going to pick up some cashew nuts at lunch to get the ball rolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Best snack I find is peanut butter on oat cakes, fills you up and is slow release. Around 3pm is when I need them.

Also swap the sandwich for a wrap.

Advertisement