Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential business partner problem

Options
  • 31-01-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, let's leave emotion at the door for this one.

I'm in the early stages of setting up a consultancy with an excellent potential business partner with a unique and promising skill set paired with experience. Together, I don't doubt that we could make a great success of the consultancy and would be sought out due to our reputations.

One problem though. My potential business partner is a woman who not too long ago has had the conversation of wanting to start a family within the next year (this was prior to our thoughts of going in together) and on reflection is making me a little uneasy. She is perfectly entitled to have a baby and by all means I wouldn't dip my toe in the thought of discouraging her, however, as she has a particular skill set this would be hugely damaging if she were to take time off.

Having been in business before maternity can be a pain for an employer but that's life, what can you do. The problem here however is this won't be an employee who may need time off or have their attention elsewhere, but will be my business partner who I have invested in and somewhat depend on sharing quite a bit of workload for the sake of the company. Before I dive in with two feet I'm trying to (obviously anonymously) guage what other people's opinions might be here.

Should I take the risk of investment of time and money with an business partner who is top of field but may need to diverge for a while, or do I hold tight and seek a more stable solution?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not... Openly and honestly put your feelings to this person

You can't start a business with reservations so you need to put all this stuff on the table at the start.

Maybe they will surprise you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well you can hardly start a new business with reservations. You need to sit down and in the least offensive manner possible ask her how she would see the partnership functioning if she were to start a family!?

Likely she has already given this plenty of thought. I seriously doubt that she hasn't. For all you know she might already be putting practical plans in place at home to facilitate this venture. And while employees might take 10 months it's very rare for self employed women to do so.

If you are entering into a partnership like this - you'll need to be able to discuss things like this.

Maybe she'll decide that you're not the right partner for her given that you've doubted her in this way. Chance you'll have to take I'm afraid. Can hardly start a business on an unsound footing.

You'll have to ask whether you need her in the long term more than she might need you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

As a woman, I'd say talk to her out straight about it. You'll soon know how it's going to go if and when she becomes pregnant.

I agree with lawred, I know self employed people who've only taken 4 weeks off when they had a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

You really should have well discussed contingency plans with your partner. What about serious illness etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think it would be remiss of you not to raise the question. It's both your livelihood on the line and you should both be thinking ahead in terms of where the business is going to go.

If she doesn't take kindly to the question, then she's not being realistic. More likely than not she's thought it through in terms of what leave she might take and even in terms of planning a time of year.

Of course nature doesn't work on demand so timing, or even a family cannot be guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Threetimes

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well you can hardly start a new business with reservations. You need to sit down and in the least offensive manner possible ask her how she would see the partnership functioning if she were to start a family!?

Likely she has already given this plenty of thought. I seriously doubt that she hasn't. For all you know she might already be putting practical plans in place at home to facilitate this venture. And while employees might take 10 months it's very rare for self employed women to do so.

If you are entering into a partnership like this - you'll need to be able to discuss things like this.

Maybe she'll decide that your not the right partner for her given that you've doubted her in this way. Chance you'll have to take I'm afraid. Can hardly start a business on an unsound footing.

You'll have to ask whether you need her in the long term more than she might need you?

Thanks for the replies guys, I've known that there's no other way around it other than bringing it up face to face. Professionally, there would be no reservations just this tiny little blip which admittedly I haven't explored enough with her.

The way the consultancy will be ran will be in two distinct fields under the one industry so each skill set is needed and must run concurrently hence my reservations. I suppose we won't know until I pick up the subject with herself.

Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Threetimes wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've known that there's no other way around it other than bringing it up face to face. Professionally, there would be no reservations just this tiny little blip which admittedly I haven't explored enough with her.

The way the consultancy will be ran will be in two distinct fields under the one industry so each skill set is needed and must run concurrently hence my reservations. I suppose we won't know until I pick up the subject with herself.

Thanks again.

Can a lot of the work be done from home though? If it can then it may not cause so much of an issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pilly wrote: »
    Can a lot of the work be done from home though? If it can then it may not cause so much of an issue.
    I'd never trust anyone to work from home with younglings about, no matter how good their intentions are.

I have young kids, and frankly going to the toilet without a drama to deal with is an issue, never mind working. I've tried it.

Advertisement