Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 unexpected shutdowns

• 31-01-2017 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Have a strange issue with a group of PC's on a domain.
    The PC's are in commercial garages and connected to our datacentre over the WAN.
    If the users are using the PC's all is ok, no issue.

At random times if the users walk away from the PC and come back some time later it will be unresponsive - black screen.

The PC will not reposnd to ICMP requests while in this state and cannot be accessed remotely.
    the only way to resolve at the time is to get the user to kill the PC by powering it down at the tower and booting it up again.

Windows is showing an unexpected shutdown occured at one of the first events created after windows is reloaded.
    No hardware events are recorded
    I cant see any other events that could cause this.

Im not convinced it's a power issue yet as there is no loss to power to anything else on site.
    There are roughly 400 or so of these machines out in the network and it can occur with 1 or 2 maybe a few times a week , with maybe the odd occurrance of 50+ PC's being in this state first thing in the morning.

No stop error is being displayed at any time.
    I have installed bluescreenview on a few of these machines to see if anything is captured.
    Windows is upto date and the PC's are getting the correct group policies from the Domain Controller.

Not sure what else we can check.
    I was convinced at one point that a windows update may have triggered something but not so sure now , ant find anything on release notes that would point to anything really.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm going to hazard a guess that the unexpected shut down error is from the user power cycling the PC to get it to work again.

I didn't see you mention anything about the power settings - could the machines be Hibernating after an hour or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Power settings are controlled through group policy , none of the PC's should be hibernating.
    As the PC's are all getting the correct group policies its a bit strange to have this happening.

And you are probabaly right that the shutdown is recorded when they power cycle the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Anyone else ever come across this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

yep, i saw similar power management settings were to blame.

to be certain, setup a test OU in group policy, and add a few machines into it. apply an always on power management policy to the test OU, and monitor. (or exempt from power mgmt policy and manually set power mgmt properties).

i understand it may not be hibernation per se, but it does sound like something in power management and what ever driver it is not co-operating with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Moving away from possible software issues...

Are the garages very dusty? Could be a dust build up.
    Are the machines left on indefinitely? Schedule a restart / power down at a specific time.

Realistically though, 10% of the machines being affected by the same thing in one night doesn't really sound like a hardware issue to me.
    Check any custom drivers, maybe for a specific piece of equipment that is in use with the PCs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Power management issues, even with Group Policies they can mess up so removed the group policy and then reapply it and see if that changes.

Advertisement