Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picture Frames: cutting perspex with stanley knife?

• 31-01-2017 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I have few paintings which I want to hang. The sizes aren't standard so i'm going to make up frames. Is it possible to get a clean cut from sheets of perspex using stanley knife? Ideally I want some material that comes in roll that I can just cut out instead out perspex sheets? something like plexiglass that comes in a roll?

Also for mitred edges there is no such thing as a 90 degree or L shaped dowel? I can use regular dowels or v nails. just wondering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You seem to be looking for a beginners guide to picture framing. !? Do you propose to use perspex in place of glass ? Not much point really - you will have a hazy view of the picture.! Perspex can only be cut with a negative rake blade on the table saw.
    As for the mitres, they used to be pinned with two panel pins but that has been replaced with an 'L' shaped crimp at the back which requires the proper kit. For a few one off frames however using pins with some filler is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭allycavs

Ya beginners guide. is there any alternative glass I can use to cut with stanley knife? last question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I worked part-time for a picture framer in the past so I'll chip in with my experience. Pros use a (Morso) guillotine to cut the frame parts and an underpinner to join them, which pushes "vee" shaped wedges into the underside of the mitre joints, holding the parts together while the glue goes off. Perspex/ acrylic is diffult to cut on the table saw (and as recipio has stated you really need a negative rake blade), even with an appropriate blade you can still get some chipping/ or cracking near the cut edge. Band saw works best for cutting smaller pieces. Acrylic is expensive and will scratch or haze over with repeated cleaning so much better to use proper picture frame glass which is 2mm thick. Glass this thick is really easy to handle and cut once you've had a little experience, even a cheaper multi wheeled cutter will do a good job in conjunction with a good T square. You can get acceptable results with some skill and care using a hand mitre saw, gluing and pinning the joints together, oncle you have some method of clamping the joints together while the glue dries (a good bandclamp is essential). But a frame made this way will not match a machine cut and jointed frame in terms of strength or appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

For the OP, I'm afraid trying to use perspex is a case of over economising. Glass suppliers will cut 2 mm glass to size ( after the frame is finished ) for little money. Using a mitre bond instant set glue and then pinning the joint is about as cheap a method of construction as you will get. You could use glue on the mitres and reinforce them with a kerfed ( key slot ) or biscuit joint but you would need the tools for that.

Advertisement