Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and importing ex-rentals?

Options
  • 31-01-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Currently N=1 for me.

I'm going to hire a bike while on hols in Lanzarote this summer. I noticed on the website of the shop I'm looking at hiring from (Revolution in PdC) that they sell their hire bikes at what look like very good prices.

What I'm wondering is if there are any drawbacks to buying an ex-rental? Part of my thinking is, if they're renting out fairly high-end bikes (compared to my own anyway) like Planet X Pro Carbons, then they must take the maintenance of them pretty seriously.

I'm aware of the likely customs implications, but last year this shop was selling 2016 Specialized Tarmac for €425 at the end of the peak season so even with taxes applied on arrival it could still be a bargain.

Has anyone done this in the past and do they have any tips or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd imagine if you bought an empty used bike bag out with you and brought it back full, no one would be looking for Duty or VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Eponymous wrote: »
    I'm aware of the likely customs implications, but last year this shop was selling 2016 Specialized Tarmac for €425 at the end of the peak season so even with taxes applied on arrival it could still be a bargain.
    Duty free allowance is goods up to €430 value so you wouldn't have to pay duty or VAT on the example you mentioned. Above €430 you're liable for duty and VAT on the entire amount, not just the excess. Also, this is just for travelling with goods yourself, not for internet orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Duty free allowance is goods up to €430 value so you wouldn't have to pay duty or VAT on the example you mentioned. Above €430 you're liable for duty and VAT on the entire amount, not just the excess. Also, this is just for travelling with goods yourself, not for internet orders.
    Isn't it based on the value of the goods here and not what you paid for them over there, so I'm thinking I'll have Duty and Tax to pay unless I have evidence that the market value of a 6-9 month old bike is less than the threshold.

Just to be clear (and for the reassurance of the Mods), I'm no looking to avoid taxes or duties, I'm more interested in experience of bringing a bike in and/or purchasing an ex-rental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Unlike cars which have very distinct values applied by customs, bikes do not. In the rare chance they would even check, declare your value as you would pay for it, whatever that maybe, they will either say yay or nay. Like you said, it is still cheaper even with taxes applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Have purchased on 3 separate occasions ex rental bikes from Free Motion in Gran Canaria over the last 7-8 years.

On each occasion Free Motion packed the bike for shipping in a cardboard box and bike was checked in as sports equipment at airport.

On arrival at Dublin airport i collected the bike box from the oversize belt and i proceeded through to arrivals without any queries or problems.

I have noticed recently that there is less value to be had on the ex rentals compared to years previously.

As regards quality - i have not had any issues with the ex-rentals i bought they were in close to perfect condition when received and i still have two of the bikes in my possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't think, there'd be any drawbacks buying from Revolution. I've seen their Planet X Carbon Pro bikes. They maintain them really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I rented bikes form them before. Bikes were in top condition, when we handed them back they were straight into a mechanic to check the brakes and gears before being washed down and greased up ready for the next day. I'd have no concerns buying a bike from them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

+ 1 on revolution bikes. Just rented a planet X aero Di2 from them, two weeks ago. They wouldn't let me make my own adjustments ( no offense taken ) to ensure there were no mishaps. A seatpost adjustment can break the cable to the D12 battery in the seat tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Doesn't duty free limits only apply to anything bought outside of eurozone?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ec18 wrote: »
    Doesn't duty free limits only apply to anything bought outside of eurozone?

The Canaries are outside the EU Customs and VAT Zones hence Duty Free rules do apply on booze, fags, gifts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I'm loving the sound of this, And funnily enough will be over there in March MMMMmm, Do I need N +2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Isn't it based on the value of the goods here and not what you paid for them over there, so I'm thinking I'll have Duty and Tax to pay unless I have evidence that the market value of a 6-9 month old bike is less than the threshold….

But surely a secondhand bike is heavily devalued, especially since the Bike-to-Work scheme effectively halved the cost of high-end bicycles? And a bike that's been used as a rental, so used by varying sizes, weights and skills of riders, would be even more devalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Chuchote wrote: »
    But surely a secondhand bike is heavily devalued, especially since the Bike-to-Work scheme effectively halved the cost of high-end bicycles? And a bike that's been used as a rental, so used by varying sizes, weights and skills of riders, would be even more devalued.

Halve the cost? Would that were the case. Sure a high end bike is in excess of 4 grand now. Which the btw scheme allows you to buy for 3500. Tis only half if the bike costs a thousand euro. Which, contrary to some owners' beliefs does not constitute a high end bicycle. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Would be interesting to find out from them what they're buying those kind of bikes for new into the Canaries, to compare to what you'd be paying here or in the UK......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fat bloke wrote: »
    Halve the cost? Would that were the case. Sure a high end bike is in excess of 4 grand now. Which the btw scheme allows you to buy for 3500. Tis only half if the bike costs a thousand euro. Which, contrary to some owners' beliefs does not constitute a high end bicycle. :pac:

Even without the bike to work, being second hand does heavily devalue a bike, regardless of some of the prices you see on adverts by some chancers. 50% would be a reasonable valuation across the board.

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I'm loving the sound of this, And funnily enough will be over there in March MMMMmm, Do I need N +2 ;)
    I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on if you were to give it a go!

My quandary, if I do opt to do this, is then do I rent it, pay the money to rent and then at the end ask to buy the bike as I'm happy with it or just go in with the intention of purchasing and save the cost of having rented it first? I'm guessing as a rental shop he wouldn't be averse to a test ride in any event.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Even without the bike to work, being second hand does heavily devalue a bike, regardless of some of the prices you see on adverts by some chancers. 50% would be a reasonable valuation across the board.

No argument there. Being second hand heavily devalues toasters, cars, bikes, virgins:pac:.

Btw scheme hasn't halved high end bike values though much as I wish it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Surely these ex-rentals are only availabe to buy when they are "ex" rental, ie at the end of the rental season in late Sept/Oct? I would have thought it fanciful to think you will be able to get one a the reduced cost in March/April? Or is the Canaries bike 'season' Oct-March ???

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on if you were to give it a go!

My quandary, if I do opt to do this, is then do I rent it, pay the money to rent and then at the end ask to buy the bike as I'm happy with it or just go in with the intention of purchasing and save the cost of having rented it first? I'm guessing as a rental shop he wouldn't be averse to a test ride in any event.
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Surely these ex-rentals are only availabe to buy when they are "ex" rental, ie at the end of the rental season in late Sept/Oct? I would have thought it fanciful to think you will be able to get one a the reduced cost in March/April? Or is the Canaries bike 'season' Oct-March ???

Trying not to sound like a shill for Free-Motion but this is exactly what they do. At the end of their peak season, mid-March onwards, the previous year models go on sale and if you decide to buy after your rental period the rental fee is refunded off the purchase price.

Below is a link to their sale last year
    http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/free-motion-cycling/news/detailseite/article/visit-free-motion-in-march-and-buy-your-rental-bike/
    Also worth mentioning that included in the purchase price is a final service after your rental, packing and airport transfer for you and the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Is it possible to buy these online and get them shipped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Yes, looks like you can. Would nearly be as well getting yourself a last minute deal to the Canaries and pick it up yourself at the prices they are looking for.

http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/bike-shop-gran-canaria/road-bike-sale/sale/sale/399-caad12-105-caad12/

"Prices subject to error and changes.
    Shipping costs are depending on the model: 150,00€ - 200,00€ within the EU.
    Prices outside the EU on request. All shipments are 100% insured."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

cunavalos wrote: »
    Have purchased on 3 separate occasions ex rental bikes from Free Motion in Gran Canaria over the last 7-8 years.

On each occasion Free Motion packed the bike for shipping in a cardboard box and bike was checked in as sports equipment at airport.

On arrival at Dublin airport i collected the bike box from the oversize belt and i proceeded through to arrivals without any queries or problems.

I have noticed recently that there is less value to be had on the ex rentals compared to years previously.

As regards quality - i have not had any issues with the ex-rentals i bought they were in close to perfect condition when received and i still have two of the bikes in my possession.

This is great information. The Wife was only asking me last night where i would like to go on holiday. Looks like you might have helped my decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Yes, looks like you can. Would nearly be as well getting yourself a last minute deal to the Canaries and pick it up yourself at the prices they are looking for.

http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/bike-shop-gran-canaria/road-bike-sale/sale/sale/399-caad12-105-caad12/

"Prices subject to error and changes.
    Shipping costs are depending on the model: 150,00€ - 200,00€ within the EU.
    Prices outside the EU on request. All shipments are 100% insured."

If you can get a cheap flight to the Canaries, a day or two in the saddle, the chance to say "yeah this is the one, I'll take it", and the flight back with the new steed for anywhere near €200-250, I'd be more inclined to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

You would then be liable for import duties - the duty free allowance only applies to goods you bring with you in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I bought a Focus Izalco Team SL in Tenerife 2 years ago. Guys packed it up in a cardboard box, I brought it to the Aer Lingus check-in desk and they sent me to pay the €50 fee.
    Brought it to the oversize baggage and collected from the same at Dublin. Walked through customs without even thinking about it, old lady behind me was called over by customs :)

Paid €3500 for a bike that was on a UK bike site for £6999. It had been rented less than 5 times and hadn't a mark on it. Guess how I'll be buying it's succesor ;)

Trying not to sound like a shill for Free-Motion but this is exactly what they do. At the end of their peak season, mid-March onwards, the previous year models go on sale and if you decide to buy after your rental period the rental fee is refunded off the purchase price.

Below is a link to their sale last year
    http://www.free-motion.com/en/gran-canaria/free-motion-cycling/news/detailseite/article/visit-free-motion-in-march-and-buy-your-rental-bike/
    Also worth mentioning that included in the purchase price is a final service after your rental, packing and airport transfer for you and the bike.
    I completely forgot about Revolution, to be honest. They're really close to my hotel too...

Any idea what the BH bikes are like? I see that they have granny gearing, which will probably suit me trying to get up to Femes from the Playa Blanca side.

Gosh that's a very impressive service. It's definitely something I would consider in the future when buying a bike.

I completely forgot about Revolution, to be honest. They're really close to my hotel too...

Any idea what the BH bikes are like? I see that they have granny gearing, which will probably suit me trying to get up to Femes from the Playa Blanca side.

I rented the bh quartz 105 when i was there last. It was a grand bike and decent value for a rental but would not be my cup of tea. It was a canary yellow colour and had a very compact geometry.

I think i was just more comfortable on a bike with traditional geometry.

• Advertisement

I rented the bh quartz 105 when i was there last. It was a grand bike and decent value for a rental but would not be my cup of tea. It was a canary yellow colour and had a very compact geometry.

I think i was just more comfortable on a bike with traditional geometry.
    That's one of my concerns about renting a bike is not being comfortable on it.

I know it's not that big a deal if you're only renting for a week or whatever, but if it's with intention to buy then I wonder if it's better to call in before you intend to rent and explore the range.

Wouldn't be much gone on canary yellow either!

Advertisement