If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi zone speaker system

Options
  • 31-01-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking at rewiring at the moment and considering putting in speaker wire into selected rooms, so am looking for an amp that might do the job. Thinking about ceiling speakers for the rooms.

Basic requirements: needs to have at the very least a minimum of 3 zones, ideally 5+; need to be able to control everything from a reliable app (android); need to be able to adjust volume levels separately in each zone; needs to be able to play radio (TuneIn is fine if not FM), Spotify etc, though would be ok if the amp just takes source from phone/tablet; don't want to have issues with out-of synch audio between rooms.

As a multi-room type thing, I currently have a DIY type approach that works ok: 
     - an Onkyo TX-NR609 with 5.1 in sitting room with a Chromecast Audio (CCA) as "Game" input
     - zone 2 in adjacent room
     - a Google Home in kitchen

The Google Home allows me to group itself with the CCA. I can then cast TuneIn or Spotify to the group, so when zone 1 & zone 2 are on I can have the music in three rooms. But it is messy, I have to adjust source and volume in zone 1 & 2 on the Onkyo app, then go to Spotify & sometimes have to mess about, so looking for a cleaner/all in one solution.

Any thoughts/advice very welcome regarding what amp and what speakers?

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi. I'm looking at rewiring at the moment and considering putting in speaker wire into selected rooms, so am looking for an amp that might do the job. Thinking about ceiling speakers for the rooms.

Basic requirements: needs to have at the very least a minimum of 3 zones, ideally 5+; need to be able to control everything from a reliable app (android); need to be able to adjust volume levels separately in each zone; needs to be able to play radio (TuneIn is fine if not FM), Spotify etc, though would be ok if the amp just takes source from phone/tablet; don't want to have issues with out-of synch audio between rooms.

As a multi-room type thing, I currently have a DIY type approach that works ok: 
     - an Onkyo TX-NR609 with 5.1 in sitting room with a Chromecast Audio (CCA) as "Game" input
     - zone 2 in adjacent room
     - a Google Home in kitchen

The Google Home allows me to group itself with the CCA. I can then cast TuneIn or Spotify to the group, so when zone 1 & zone 2 are on I can have the music in three rooms. But it is messy, I have to adjust source and volume in zone 1 & 2 on the Onkyo app, then go to Spotify & sometimes have to mess about, so looking for a cleaner/all in one solution.

Any thoughts/advice very welcome regarding what amp and what speakers?

Thanks.
    Hi BoardsMember.

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately there is no easy to do what you require with just an A/v Receiver.

5 Zone A/V receiver: I don't think I have ever seen or came across one with this many Zones.

Denon offer the AVRX4300 which can do 3 Zones and priced at £949.00 and comes with a free HEOS 1 speaker which could replace the Google Home.
    http://www.richersounds.com/package/home-cinema/av-receivers/pah013441
    Giving 4 Zones. Denon AVRX4300 also has Heos built in to it.

You could add a Heos amp to run some of the in-celing speakers and this would tie in with all the other Heos items from one app.
    Priced at £399.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202147-amp-hs2.aspx

Denon Heos:
    https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/heos

For speakers you could look at the Monitor Audio CT165 priced at £105 each
    http://www.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=ct165

Or the Monitor Audio Pro IC65 coming in at £69.00 Each
    http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/pro-ic/pro-ic65

Both are very good speakers, we currently use the pro 65 in our demo room as part of our Atmos setup.

Let me know what you think.

Any questions please drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I want to get into the Heos, was looking for a most inexpensive approach. I'll have a think about it. I could probably make do with standalone speakers, not in-ceiling, and put chrome casts in them to knit them together.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I want to get into the Heos, was looking for a most inexpensive approach. I'll have a think about it. I could probably make do with standalone speakers, not in-ceiling, and put chrome casts in them to knit them together.
    No worries BoardsMember.

If you see anything else that may suit or if you have any questions drop me a post :)

Hi - just picking this up again as we're nearing pulling the trigger on re-wire.

Maybe I complicated things with identifying the need for an multi zone A/V receiver. It's really only audio I want. 

And three zones would probably do it. Does that simplify the ask, or give me more options?

I presume speakers can have wires in from 2 different amps. i.e. sitting room speakers can be fed from Onkyo for 5.1 cinema; new amp feeds in sound from chromecast audio into sitting room sitting room speakers, but also kitchen & playroom speakers.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi BoardsMember,

If you are looking for an audio only multi-room system then the process is far easier.

..but please do not wire speakers back to multiple amplifiers - this just does not work unless you use really dedicate switching devices that really are not aimed at the domestic market - if you use conventional kit wired to multiple amps you stand a very high chance of frying your kit..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks for the prompt response and the heads up John, will not wire speakers back to multiple amps.

What would my options be for a suitable audtio only amp, going back to primary ask: 3 zones, able to control via an app; Spotify and FM radio are probably my main sources, or chromecast audio.

Speaker-wise (I've gone off the idea of ceiling speakers): 4 speakers in the kitchen/dining (wall mounted), 2 in playroom but I might re-use my Boston Acoustics A23s. 

Would there be a way to output the audio amp into my Onkyo so that I would not need separate speakers in the sitting room, i.e. 5.1 a/v from onkyo, and music from the music amp to the same speakers via the onkyo.

Thanks!

Hi Boards Member,

I think that SONOS is probably your best option and it will also allow you to integrate your Onkyo AVR into the SONOS infrastructure - you could look at:

Sonos ZP120 - Connect Amp * 3
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-100980-sonos-connect-amp-zone-player-zp120.aspx?swapstore=1

The ZP120 does not have FM radio but of course you can stream pretty much anything via Tunein radio no problem..

If you wanted to add the Onkyo to your SONOS network you just grab a Sonos ZP90 at any stage -m it's essentially a preamp and it will plug into any analogue or digital input on your Onkyo AVR and you can pick up whatever is playing across your SONOS network and if you use an audio out from the Onkyo you can also monitor the Onkyo output in other zones:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10064-sonos-connect-zone-player-zp90.aspx

For your speakers - there really is a myriad of choice - I have no real idea of your budget or styling preferences - do you have a rough budget / colour preference? I you give us an idea I'll put together a bundle deal for you taking all the above kit into account?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John.

I had not really considered Sonos as I intend to go wired, seeing as I am re-writing, and I wasn't too keen on buying into a "proprietary ecosystem".

Anyhow, worth thinking about. But looks like I would have to buy 2 sonos amps to enable multi zone and using my onkyo. Seems like an expensive approach, no?

Re speakers, I'm happy with my Boston Acoustics A23s so something like that would be good.

Hi BoardsMember,

There are not many amps that allow you multi- zone capability ( 5+ Zones) with app control and the other features you are looking for - the only real viable commercially available option would be the Drive from Denon / HEOS - this is an integrated unit that has 4 amps / zones - but it retails at circa £2000, but it does sound great!

Sonos manufacture many different units some of which operate wirelessly ( ie the Play One / Sonos One / Play 5 etc) but the ZP90 / ZP120 and the new Sonos Amp are designed to be wired directly to passive speakers - the advantage of the Sonos system is that you can purchase it in units and build your multi-room system as you need it - however there are alternative options.

You can of course use a system of various amplifiers and simple dongles like chromecasts, but as per your initial request - if you would like an App to give you a cleaner all in one solution then the easiest way to achieve that is to select kit from the same manufacturer to save you having to use multiple control apps / remotes.

You might want to have a look at the Yamaha Music Cast system - this is now available across a wide range of their products and this will also give you a cohesive network that all talk to each other and which you can control via a single App - Their Musiccast amps start with us at just £249 / €299 with the RN303 receiver:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202841-yamaha-rn303d-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

This is a conventional Stereo Receiver with 2 sets of speaker outs but it of course also has an FM tuner built in and it's a decent streamer as well.

You can add other Yam products from stand alone speakers to soundbars to preamps to connect to your which are also musiccast ready to the ecosystem - but again if you don't want an 'ecosystem' it is quite difficult to suggest what to offer you that is easily controlled via a single App..

Keep us posted and hopefully we can get on the right path for you,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

That's really valuable input, thanks a mill. Let me think over it and I'll get back to you.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

That's really valuable input, thanks a mill. Let me think over it and I'll get back to you.
    No problem, keep us posted!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.