Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling taxes in the US after paying PAYE in Ireland

Options
  • 31-01-2017 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all, I've been working in the US for all of 2016. I've been paid through my employer to my Irish bank account, and paid PAYE/PRSI etc each month. I understand I have to file taxes with the IRS for this period. I'm Irish, I have a social security number and live here legally. If my understanding is right I could be entitled to get a refund on my Irish tax and pay the appropriate US taxes. If anybody has any experience on this or could recommend a good tax accountant that could file for me (preferably based in Ireland) that would be great.

Edit: Mods, looks like I posted this 3 times because the page wasn't loading for me. Can you keep this thread and delete the other two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

gerbear1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been working in the US for all of 2016. I've been paid through my employer to my Irish bank account, and paid PAYE/PRSI etc each month. I understand I have to file taxes with the IRS for this period. I'm Irish, I have a social security number and live here legally. If my understanding is right I could be entitled to get a refund on my Irish tax and pay the appropriate US taxes. If anybody has any experience on this or could recommend a good tax accountant that could file for me (preferably based in Ireland) that would be great.

Edit: Mods, looks like I posted this 3 times because the page wasn't loading for me. Can you keep this thread and delete the other two?

Yes you can get a tax refund on your irish taxes if you were in Ireland for less than 6 months of the year. File a P50 with the Irish Revenue http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/tax-refunds.html. Your other option would be to declare it as income tax paid to a foreign government when you do your tax return. Turbo Tax asked me this when I did my own taxes last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

Thanks for this info JJ. I've been finding it hard to figure out what I'm to do! And a couple of accountants I contacted in Ireland didn't really get me anywhere. 
    I thought I would have do my IRS filing with Turbo Tax or some equivalent and once that is done, I would then try to claim back the Irish tax? I understand I'm only entitled to the difference in tax between the countries? I need to also file my wife's taxes (all income earned in the US) jointly so I think its better that I use Turbo Tax. In doing so would I not need to claim a refund from Irish revenue and would they refund me the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I'll ask my missus, she's an accountant (trained in Ireland but practicing in the US) she has done a few of these in the past as far as I know.

El Statutorio I would greatly appreciate any more info I can get! I've been filling in my stuff on TurboTax and it's confusing as to what category I fall into, since I will have P60 rather than a US W2 for 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

PM sent

• Advertisement

For what it's worth I did this last month by going to a H&R Block to file for me. The guy there filed what looks like a form 1116 along with a 1040. If anybody else is in a similar situation, I would definitely recommend going somewhere like that as opposed to trying it yourself online like I was originally.

Advertisement