Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs. Chelsea

• 31-01-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

liv-che.jpg

Date: 31 January 2017
    Kick-off: 8PM
    Where to watch: BT Sport 1 7PM

Liverpool possible XI: Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Klavan, Milner, Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana

Chelsea possible XI: Courtois, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Moses, Matic, Kante, Alonso, Hazard, Pedro, Costa

Chelsea injuries:
    None
    Liverpool injuries:
    Clyne (rib, doubtful), Mane (returning from AFCON, bench most likely)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Chelsea by 2 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hopefully Chelsea do some damage to Pool's GD

Also, hopefully it's too windy for Klopp's footballistic plans to take shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant see Liverpool losing 4 home games in a row and I'd take a draw before kick off anyway, theyve not lost to a top 6 side yet this season and I dont think we'll change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

On form it's a walkover for Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Henderson to beat Costa in the staring competition.

Klopp to headbutt Conte on the sideline, who responds in turn by effortlessly strangling him with a handkerchief.

Mignolet to win a corner from a direct goal kick, pulling ahead of Karius who's currently stagnating with a score of -1.

Chelsea to win three nil. Victory Moses with a brace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ugh! This game couldn't come at a worse time, but i'm hoping we can pull a result out like we did with City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

[*]Liverpool are unbeaten in the last four league meetings (W2, D2).
      [*]However, they have failed to win any of the last four home league games against Chelsea (D2, L2).
      [*]The Reds are looking to complete a league double after winning 2-1 at Stamford Bridge in September.

Liverpool

[*]Liverpool have only won one of their last eight matches (D3, L4) in all competitions, losing their last three in a row.
      [*]They have lost three consecutive competitive games at Anfield for the first time since October 2012, having previously been undefeated at Anfield this season (W9, D3).
      [*]However, if Liverpool beat Chelsea, their points tally of 48 will equal the club record after 23 matches of a Premier League season (from 2008-09).
      [*]Jurgen Klopp has lost just one of his 14 Premier League meetings against the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal (W6, D7).
      [*]The Reds haven't won any of their league matches without Sadio Mane (D1, L2), scoring only three goals in those three fixtures.

Chelsea

[*]Chelsea have won 15 of their last 16 league games, with their only defeat coming away to Tottenham.
      [*]The Blues have kept 13 clean sheets in the Premier League this season - no team in Europe's top five leagues has kept more.
      [*]Antonio Conte's side are the lowest scorers away from home among the Premier League's top five this season with 17 goals.
      [*]Diego Costa has scored in 15 of his last 21 Premier League matches (16 goals in total).

SAM's verdict
      • Most probable score: 1-1
      • Probability of draw: 25%
      • Probability of home win: 38%
      • Probability of away win: 37%
      SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

• Wouldn't bet against Liverpool to get a result
      But I would bet on them getting beat by Hull the following game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Overall Liverpool V Chelsea:
      Games won: 77
      Games drawn: 38
      Games lost: 61

Last 10 in the PL:
      • 08 May 2012 Liverpool v Chelsea W 4-1 Premier League
      • 11 Nov 2012 Chelsea v Liverpool D 1-1 Premier League
      • 21 Apr 2013 Liverpool v Chelsea D 2-2 Premier League
      • 29 Dec 2013 Chelsea v Liverpool L 2-1 Premier League
      • 27 Apr 2014 Liverpool v Chelsea L 0-2 Premier League
      • 08 Nov 2014 Liverpool v Chelsea L 1-2 Premier League
      • 10 May 2015 Chelsea v Liverpool D 1-1 Premier League
      • 31 Oct 2015 Chelsea v Liverpool W 1-3 Premier League
      • 11 May 2016 Liverpool v Chelsea D 1-1 Premier League
      • 16 Sep 2016 Chelsea v Liverpool W 1-2 Premier League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'd be surprised if Liverpool can get a win here. A draw maybe. Chelsea are excellent this season and the Chelsea that Liverpool beat are long gone. I'd take a draw but it will probably be Chelsea by 1 or 2 goals.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Staying out of this thread until Liverpool lose, always gets fun then

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Liverpool have generally stepped it up against the bigger opposition this season, so I reckon a 1-1 draw.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

On recent form it is difficult to see how the Pool could win this , they might nick a draw at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Pool need a win, a loss and their season is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

yabadabado wrote: »

They won't have Champions League or Europa League football to play for if they lose tonight?

I'd more say a defeat tonight probably ends any slim hopes of winning the title.

I think theyve a very slight chance of the league but if they lose tonight they're still well in the hunt for a top 4 spot and its very much in their hands.

Exact same applies to Chelsea, if we lose tonight, the title is still in our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

fyfe79 wrote: »
      They won't have Champions League or Europa League football to play for if they lose tonight?

No the season is over if they lose tonight. Luckily they have reached the 40 pt mark as the last month is how the rest of the season is going to pan out. Forget the previous 4 months the decline is irreversible everyone has klopp sussed out and he needs to find an alternative way of playing . The players can't play his pressing style any longer despite the fact they were praised for doing so against utd 2 league games ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Pool are out of the Champions and Europa League's next season, they will have a great chance of the league next year.

If Pool are out of the Champions and Europa League's next season, they will have a great chance of the league next year.
      And if not they have an excuse to wait for the year after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May lock the thread already if this is the way it is going with 3 hours to kick off

• Advertisement

M United POV: Roll on a 4th consecutive home defeat for the Scouse.

My neutral POV: Liverpool will probably win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd more say a defeat tonight probably ends any slim hopes of winning the title.
      Did I say that ?
      Football is about winning if they lose tonight what can they win? Do you win top 4 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May lock the thread already if this is the way it is going with 3 hours to kick off

World record for match thread gone to the dogs the quickest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2-3 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Did I say that ?
      Football is about winning if they lose tonight what can they win? Do you win top 4 ?

You said their season is over though. Trying to get into the top 4 was the main priority at the start of the season so how can you say the season is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Liverpool will be too strong for chelsea can't see any other result...... ill eat my hat if they don't win this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Surely matip starts

We've a fully fit squad so it will probably be :

Courtois
      Azp Luiz Cahill
      Moses Kante Matic Alonso
      Pedro Costa Hazard

GavRedKing wrote: »
      We've a fully fit squad so it will probably be :

Courtois
      Azp Luiz Cahill
      Moses Kante Matic Alonso
      Pedro Costa Hazard

Willian over Pedro for his workrate maybe.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

1-0 to the home side.

90 minutes of Kloppenbussen to hold off Chelsea.

4 minutes of Hoofenpressen resulting in Moreno scoring from the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Have sky given this a name yet?

I'm going with titan Tuesday, initially. But turgid Tuesday by half time.

Willian over Pedro for his workrate maybe.

Both started the FA cup game but I'd prefer if Pedro started, hes a better player than Willian and more of a threat too.

His work rate is immense also but Willian is much quicker so would be good for the counter attack if we try and go that way.

Have sky given this a name yet?

I'm going with titan Tuesday, initially. But turgid Tuesday by half time.

Its on BT so Sky have decided it doesnt exist

Both started the FA cup game but I'd prefer if Pedro started, hes a better player than Willian and more of a threat too.

I don't agree with that. I'd take willian over Pedro any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

God knows what to expect tonight....2-1 LFC!

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

think liverpool will sneak this they've been good against the big teams this season.

Its on BT so Sky have decided it doesnt exist

So mickey owen and rio ?
      :facepalm:

Did I say that ?

In a way, yes you did. Season's over. By that logic, following a defeat tonight Klopp should only play the youths and reserves in the remaining games to run the rule over them before next season. At least that way, the games might be worth something considering the seasons over.

I don't agree with that. I'd take willian over Pedro any day.

You've not watched them enough so.

Willian is all huff and puff with very little end product from crossing or shooting.

Pedro is a better player, Wilian is just quicker on the break but slows down the play too often.

If im being honest, I'd probably drop Hazard but that wont happen, hes been sh*te for a few games now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

C3h_Vkgi_W8_AAe4_M.png

• Advertisement

Team is

Courtois
      Azp Luiz Cahill
      Moses Kante Matic Alonso
      Wilian Costa Hazard

Subs:
      Begovic
      Terry Zouma
      Chalobah Cesc
      Pedro
      Batshuayi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd be targeting Clyne, fairly fast recovery from a bruised rib.

Not a bad LFC bench, nice to start having players available again.

Ake not on bench, moving on?

Ake not on bench, moving on?

Nah, he travelled with the squad, hes in Liverpool.

You've not watched them enough so.

Willian is all huff and puff with very little end product from crossing or shooting.

Pedro is a better player, Wilian is just quicker on the break but slows down the play too often.

If im being honest, I'd probably drop Hazard but that wont happen, hes been sh*te for a few games now too.

Your spot on with that Pedro has a much better end product. I can see why he went with willian tonight and I'd suspect Pedro will be back in for the arsenal game. Feeling much better about benching Pedro in Fantasy football my hunch was right.

Your spot on with that Pedro has a much better end product. I can see why he went with willian tonight and I'd suspect Pedro will be back in for the arsenal game. Feeling much better about benching Pedro in Fantasy football my hunch was right.

I think hes benched Pedro for Willians pace on the counter, something Liverpool seem to have been caught by recently is teams springing on them very quickly.

Pedro, a technically superior footbaler just isnt as quick so I can see it but I'd prefer if he started, he creates a lot of space for others and can finish off both feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Not a bad LFC bench, nice to start having players available again.

How is that not a bad bench? Apart from Mane every other player has been slated in the LFc thread lately as a reason of dropping points or a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Going by recent form, Chelsea should win. However, Conte has taken a conservative approach in games against the top 6 and Chelsea's recent record against Liverpool isn't great.

It'll be a tight game. I'd take a draw now, but I think Liverpool will edge this 2-1.

jayo26 wrote: »
      How is that not a bad bench? Apart from Mane every other player has been slated in the LFc thread lately as a reason of dropping points or a loss.

First time in a while that they have experienced options in a couple of positions

• Advertisement
    This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement