Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealth/Dark finish bikes question

Options
  • 31-01-2017 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Sorry I posted this in the for sale section by mistake, reposting in main cycling board now, thanks for any advice

Does anyone know any shop in Dublin doing a reasonably decent road bike in this sort of finish, ie black/carbon type look, either subtle logos or no logos on the frame
    Budget not huge maybe 500/600, less is good too :-)
    I know cosmetics not the most important part of choosing a bike, but I do like that finish
    Not eligible for cycle to work
    Second hand would ok as well, but prefer new

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are you looking for frame only>?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

No, the complete article ready to go. I wouldn't have the expertise or time really to get into building. Thx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

even second hand i doubt you would get a full bike like that for less than €500

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102374458&postcount=7690

Is that stealthy black enough for you? Rare to get a frame of that quality in a full build for that money

That Cannondale looks great yep. Thanks.
    Its a bit more black and white than 'stealth' as such but thats ok
    Ill definitely check that out on the website
    Friend used to have a Cannondale MB, it was a lovely bike..stolen eventually..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

free wheeling on pearse street have a super stealthy bike in their window, no logos and matt black. May be a fixie, cant recall

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/canyon-ultimate-al-road-bike/9991663

keep an eye out for second canyons, many are black!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

This is probably not a high end bike and comes with Claris groupset, but it is black, subtle logos, new, and based in Dublin I think.

https://sonabikes.com/bikes/strada-1-0-matte-black/ 649 euro.

That Cannondale linked to previously looks a good option, but Cannondale logos can rarely be described as subtle.

These guys (Sona) also do fixies, with subtle logos for a lower price.

For a road bike maybe second hand might be a better bet at the budget.

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    free wheeling on pearse street have a super stealthy bike in their window, no logos and matt black. May be a fixie, cant recall

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/canyon-ultimate-al-road-bike/9991663

keep an eye out for second canyons, many are black!

I am down Pearse st most days actually, I know the shop. Ill deffo have a look thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

something like this: http://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/ribble-r872-frame-and-groupset/12131048
    you could buy a cheap pair of wheels for it.

Thats pretty much exactly the look I was thinking... a little over budget especially adding wheels, I had hoped to go 700 tops
    But might be possible to bargain him down a bit, and its a good frame I know
    Ill get after costing up adding wheels, its a good pointer thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If you like that Cannondale, last years CAAD8 Sora is probably a little closer to what you're looking for. Matt frame too, so probably a little stealthier?

This is mine. No, not selling!

IMG_20160805_183552.jpg

TedR wrote: »
    Thats pretty much exactly the look I was thinking... a little over budget especially adding wheels, I had hoped to go 700 tops
    But might be possible to bargain him down a bit, and its a good frame I know
    Ill get after costing up adding wheels, its a good pointer thanks

Honestly, you wont get too many matt carbon (thats what you are looking for i.e. Stealth) for prices less than that i would imagine. And definitely not new.

Prob right, I guess I didn't realise that carbon look finish commanded a more premium price, I assumed it was just a paint job (less paint then usual ;-)

TBH a subdued matt finish is fine, with minimal logo action, if i could find that

However there has already been a few decent pointers from on here, and I think its a buyers market for someone with cash, in secondhand at least. I reckon something will come up, Ill keep eye out on adverts etc, and I'm already having wanders through the various bike shops.

Thanks for the help all

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

the caad 10 came in a limited black inc colourway as pictured. with a bit of patience and searching you could lay your hands on a frame. (but you would need to sort components etc then) light and stealthy. a buddy of mine bought off off a boardsie and it is a really sweet frame.

cdale_caad10_black_full_view_600.jpg

thekooman wrote: »
    something like this: http://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/ribble-r872-frame-and-groupset/12131048
    you could buy a cheap pair of wheels for it.

That was the bike I was going to recommend (I Have one) but not at the price point the OP wanted.

Dragratchet, thats on the money alright,
    Theres a fair few Cannondales out there in secondhand so Ill definitely do some searching

godtabh wrote: »
    That was the bike I was going to recommend (I Have one) but not at the price point the OP wanted.

Thanks.. its a bit more money alright, but Im taking on board what you are saying, that I might need to stretch a little more on the budget
    Im off to my friendly wheels man this afternoon to enquire about adding to it
    Realistically it will probably come in a bit too rich though

Appreciate the help anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Post up your frame size at least. Would help the proxy purchasing ! :)

I did earlier in thread, I reckon 55 cm is about right for me, thx

you could always buy the bike you want and respray it matt black.
    https://www.facebook.com/carbontecire/

• Advertisement
Advertisement