Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A4 category

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

mark.mck wrote: »
    38km -42km

Very unlikely to see 42kmph in A4. More like 34 - 40kmph. Something like Des Hanlon 34 and flat race out Batterstown way 40.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Vets is a great pace for "advice". Every race I've ridden some voice from behind berates everyone else for not riding or chasing. Same voice never seems to actually do any shifts at the front ;)
    Those comments tend to be directed towards those who are new to the vets. After a year or two riders seem to ignore me anyway.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nilhg wrote: »
    In JK.BMC's case there it's an interclub league, team tactics are common enough, one of the best sprint trains I've seen was for two primes in a race up in narraghmore one evening

I figured, I was talking about an interclub league as well. We have the club champs as part of the club league. Riders often forget they are racing their club mates rather than everyone else which leads to smarter riders doing very well as they only put effort into their clubmates where as the more adrenaline fuelled junkies kill each other off the front.
    Team tactics are very common, though, but then you have idiots like me attacking for the craic all the way around until we die a death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Club leagues are once again, the best way yo learn the good, bad and ugly about bike racing. Sure, there tends to be plenty of attacking and chasing after each other and rarely do we see a genuine "team tactic" approach. However, it is generally a good idea to try learn when to attack and when to sit back, unless you fancy chasing every single thing that moves which does indeed happen on occasion. And it is generally good for team/club morale to see a team mate win. As for "rolling over" on the front, well that's something best left for club Sunday spins in nice weather and short sleeves in summer, not a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

A lot of good advice about joining club leagues first and learning the trade but not all club leagues are created equal, and unfortunately a lot don't kick off until mid/end April while the racing season has been starting mid-Feb. With ODL's finished at the start of April each year it doesn't leave much option for lads that want to give it a shot.

My own club league is absolutely brilliant but in no way prepares you for open racing or riding in a big bunch. All rounds are run as CP with up to 9 small groups on the road working hard together. It's as hard as riding in a break a lot of the time in an open race. There's no attacking because unless you have the groups caught there's no one in a position for the win. There's no tactic other than learning to appreciate the taste of lactic acid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement