Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool Whip/Reddi-Whip

Options
  • 31-01-2017 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Sorry to revive an old post, but I too was looking for Cool Whip or Reddi-Whip.

I found these two products: "Tesco Original Real Dairy Spray Cream" and "Carie Dairy Cream" (can) online and am wondering if anyone has tried them.

Are they any good and/or similar to OP's "cool whip?"

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: I've split this to form a new thread, the other one was far too old :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't think you'd get anything particularly close to Cool Whip over here. It's just too processed for our market! Spray cream is still mostly cream, but Cool Whip bears little resemblence to real cream.

From Wikipedia:
    Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream, less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).

The Tesco product you mentioned lists ingredients as "Cream (96%) (Milk), Sugar (3%), Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids), Stabiliser (Carrageenan), Propellant Gas (Nitrous Oxide)". 96% cream versus ~ 10% (?) cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are you trying an american recipe? Post it and we may be able to figure out a swap.

Cool whip is the grossest thing imaginable... real food will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Strainseir

Faith wrote: »
    I don't think you'd get anything particularly close to Cool Whip over here. It's just too processed for our market! Spray cream is still mostly cream, but Cool Whip bears little resemblence to real cream.

From Wikipedia:

The Tesco product you mentioned lists ingredients as "Cream (96%) (Milk), Sugar (3%), Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids), Stabiliser (Carrageenan), Propellant Gas (Nitrous Oxide)". 96% cream versus ~ 10% (?) cream.

Interesting, I didn't think about that. Makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Strainseir

pwurple wrote: »
    Are you trying an american recipe? Post it and we may be able to figure out a swap.

Cool whip is the grossest thing imaginable... real food will be better!

I haven't anything specific in mind yet, just had been to the states and seen it used and was interested.

I'll try the Tesco spray can on a cake or cupcakes and will post a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any spray can stuff I got did not taste right, probably since its UHT.

Some US candy stores might have cool whip, but charge a hell of a lot more than the best real cream you could get. Birds dream topping might be similar.

If you want some convenience and whipped cream I would get a proper whip cream dispenser, which you fill with real cream and put gas canisters into.

http://www.creamright.co.uk/

nisbets have them, and probably some other shops around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

rubadub wrote: »
    Any spray can stuff I got did not taste right, probably since its UHT.

The only difference between UHT and regular dairy is that UHT caramelises the sugars in dairy making it sweeter than normal. If something like cool whip adds sugar to it already, I doubt there is a massive taste difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Back in the 70's in the UK there was a vile non-dairy whipped 'cream' product called Bird's Dream Topping which I falsely assumed had gone the way of kipper ties and flared trousers, but sadly that appears not to be the case ...

http://www.birdscustard.co.uk/range/dream-topping/

Sounds just the same, and the inclusion of it on their website implies you might still be able to get it, although god only knows why :)

Advertisement