Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Traffic Accident

• 31-01-2017 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I had a car accident 2 months ago - black ice on road and roads not gritted.. spent 8days in hosp with a fractured skull and bleed on the brain..recovering well..anyways just today had a phone call from an Gardai wanting me to make a statement of what happened! So just wondering if anybody was/has in a similar situation. I don't know why they want me to make a statement is it for their own records or for what. Just found it a bit strange they ring 2 months later for it..

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I think any RTA that involves injury is supposed to be reported to the Gardai, so maybe the ambulance, hospital or some witness did that. It sounds like your injuries would have prevented you from talking to them at the time so maybe they were just waiting until you had recovered? It's also possible that the insurance company came to them looking for their report.

Glad to hear you've made a good recovery. It sounds like you went through quite an ordeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mightyboosh10

phutyle wrote: »
    I think any RTA that involves injury is supposed to be reported to the Gardai, so maybe the ambulance, hospital or some witness did that. It sounds like your injuries would have prevented you from talking to them at the time so maybe they were just waiting until you had recovered? It's also possible that the insurance company came to them looking for their report.

Glad to hear you've made a good recovery. It sounds like you went through quite an ordeal.

Thanks Phutyle for ur reply..yea docs said lucky to be alive!! I had severe concussion for 4 days so I don't remember a thing about it, told the Garda that but they were still kinda pushing to make a statement. I've already given a statement to my solicitor but I think I will call & ask them on what to do..

Thanks again for reply, Appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi great you're doing well.

When you feel up to it sort a date go to Garda station and give a statement obviously what you can remember and be as truthful as possible.

Was there anyone else involved or and road signs or furniture's damaged ?

Hi great you're doing well.

When you feel up to it sort a date go to Garda station and give a statement obviously what you can remember and be as truthful as possible.

Was there anyone else involved or and road signs or furniture's damaged ?

Thanks punisher5112 for the reply.

Yea Garda said I've ten days from today to make a statement so suppose their giving me time incase I need anything from my insurance. Nope no one else involved, no road signs either..I went off the road and into a section of trees and broke good few trees & branches! Just thinkin about it now section of trees might belong to someone I will look into it!!

Appreciate your reply!!

Thanks punisher5112 for the reply.

Yea Garda said I've ten days from today to make a statement so suppose their giving me time incase I need anything from my insurance. Nope no one else involved, no road signs either..I went off the road and into a section of trees and broke good few trees & branches! Just thinkin about it now section of trees might belong to someone I will look into it!!

Appreciate your reply!!

Quite possible the land owner could look for something. Did they get recovery and that also as they know how to charge.

I was lucky in had a bad one years ago wrote of car and destroyed complete driver side front to back including roof pushed in. I got out passenger side with a scratch the size of 1 cent coin on wrist. This was after going 15 foot down into a tree beside a swollen river.

You should call and ask to speak to guard and try and gauge if they are looking to maybe charge with careless driving. I don't want to worry you but it wouldn't surprise me what some would do.

I've been there with certain things.

• Advertisement

Quite possible the land owner could look for something. Did they get recovery and that also as they know how to charge.

I was lucky in had a bad one years ago wrote of car and destroyed complete driver side front to back including roof pushed in. I got out passenger side with a scratch the size of 1 cent coin on wrist. This was after going 15 foot down into a tree beside a swollen river.

You should call and ask to speak to guard and try and gauge if they are looking to maybe charge with careless driving. I don't want to worry you but it wouldn't surprise me what some would do.

I've been there with certain things.

Wow, to come away wit a scratch there was someone definitely lookin over you that day!!

It was a friend of mine that noticed my car in the trees and he got the ball rollin gettin ambulance,Gardai & fire brigade and a local fella wit recovery truck came to move the car so unless the fire brigade nd recovery are looking for payment maybe..
    l suppose I just don't know what they want from me. Ya see I've penalty points for speeding they will be gone in May so afraid that could go against me. With the guards here they'd use anything to get an upper hand!!

Wow, to come away wit a scratch there was someone definitely lookin over you that day!!

It was a friend of mine that noticed my car in the trees and he got the ball rollin gettin ambulance,Gardai & fire brigade and a local fella wit recovery truck came to move the car so unless the fire brigade nd recovery are looking for payment maybe..
    l suppose I just don't know what they want from me. Ya see I've penalty points for speeding they will be gone in May so afraid that could go against me. With the guards here they'd use anything to get an upper hand!!

Sure let know how you get on and don't hesitate to get in touch pm or whatever if need any advice on any of it.

It cost me €350 to get it pulled out the guards were fine went up to station at nearest town just to let know in case any reports were put in as car was bad. Poxy black ice and Chinese rubber.
    Last time I ever kept Chinese rubbish on as was only using car that day planned on selling as it was my dads and I had already got him a different one.

Sure let know how you get on and don't hesitate to get in touch pm or whatever if need any advice on any of it.

It cost me €350 to get it pulled out the guards were fine went up to station at nearest town just to let know in case any reports were put in as car was bad. Poxy black ice and Chinese rubber.
    Last time I ever kept Chinese rubbish on as was only using car that day planned on selling as it was my dads and I had already got him a different one.

U were in hard luck that day but thankfully ur here to tell the tale!! €350 to get the car pulled out I was thinking it would be around €100! Will contact my solicitor tomro jus to see what he thinks.

Thanks for all the advice: really appreciate it, great to chat to someone that has been through it.. will keep u posted..Cheers again!

Advertisement