Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.de too good to be true?

Options
  • 31-01-2017 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Was having a look on Amazon.de for some PC components as I am thinking of doing a complete self build in the near future and come across some brand new pre built gaming rigs with high specs for bargain bin prices. Am I right to be suspicious? Has anyone here bought an actual full PC from Amazon.de before? There's a few different retailers offering goods and many appear to ship across Europe as they list the delivery times outside Germany.

I don't know if Im allowed post a link here (or even if I should in case its a scam) but ill list the spec:
    Intel i7 4790 K @ 4x4,40ghz Haswell | NVIDIA GF GTX 980 Graphics Card 4096 MB GDDR5 RAM DX12 | 16GB DDR3 PC1600 RAM G. Skill | 1000GB Seagate Sata/600 | Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 Motherboard/1150 Socket/Silverstone 80 + Power | LG 24FACH DVD Writer | 600watt ATX Power Supply

The retailer for this particular one is:
    PC24 Shop & Service/ Hübner & Co. Price:€370 + Shipping €3.95

That sounds crazy cheap to me, should I abandon the self build or is it a load of twaddle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There is one for 370 from that seller but its not the spec you described, but still...

So anyway I had a quick look at the Q&A section and there was a recommendation to contact the seller directly. When someone asked why it was described there are fake sellers that somehow manage to attach themselves to/hack into genuine sellers. Seems more of an amazon problem rather than that seller being a con.

I don't think you can get that PC for that price. All the other listings that sound similar enough seem to cost more like €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

too-good-to-be-true.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Please use some common sense - IT'S 101% SCAM
    :mad:
    Any seller that asks you to contact them directly is trying to bypass Amazon consumer protection.

aside, a Titan X costs more than €1k - you think they're just giving them away? :pac:

*edit*
    I also see they're using the old "add an apostrophe into the words to bypass the filters" scam.
    Literally Nigerian-prince tier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's so painfully obviously a scam. They couldn't make it more obvious if they tried.

• Advertisement

Like I said somehow someone figured out to manipulate Amazon in a way that makes their offer look like someone else's offer. In this case they seem to latch themselves onto PC24 Shop & Service. If you click around to see what PC24 Shop & Service's products actually are the prices are quite different.

Common sense must be used. You're not going to get a pretty massive gaming PC for what's usually the price of the CPU alone.

I'd report it to Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Fair enough, just thought I throw it out there in case they were discontinued models being sold off or something. Caveat emptor as they say.

Fair enough, just thought I throw it out there in case they were discontinued models being sold off or something. Caveat emptor as they say.

Ah well your instinct was right anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The moment you see "contact the seller directly" just move on as its a scam :)

Advertisement