Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flights to Orlando

Options
  • 31-01-2017 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Hi we're going to Orlando on honeymoon in October. Taking our daughter with us who will just have gone 2.

US airways have flights from dub to newark and then on to orlando.
    And we were looking at flying to gatwick with EL and then on to Orlando with virgin.

Would any route be better than the other?
    Would I do preclearance in dublin if we went with us airways.

Would love to go direct but tickets are over 1000 more

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hi we're going to Orlando on honeymoon in October. Taking our daughter with us who will just have gone 2.

US airways have flights from dub to newark and then on to orlando.
    And we were looking at flying to gatwick with EL and then on to Orlando with virgin.

Would any route be better than the other?
    Would I do preclearance in dublin if we went with us airways.

Would love to go direct but tickets are over 1000 more

Presuming our politicians don't do anything stupid and we still have pre-clearance, I'd definitely recommend flying out of Dublin to the States as opposed to going through London. And I think all flights to the US from Dublin have pre-clearance in Dublin now so your Dublin-Newark-Orlando would have it.

Going from London, you might get lucky and arrive at immigration in the states and fly through and you'll be wondering what the big fuss was but if you arrive at the same time as a number of other international flights, it can take ages to get through. It happened me in Orlando once and was there for what felt like an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Presuming our politicians don't do anything stupid and we still have pre-clearance, I'd definitely recommend flying out of Dublin to the States as opposed to going through London. And I think all flights to the US from Dublin have pre-clearance in Dublin now so your Dublin-Newark-Orlando would have it.

Thanks! I've never flown with my daughter before and imagine it will be stressful. She never sits still lol. So if I can do immigration here it would be worth it. Do you know if id have to pick my bags up again in newark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

It's actually United Airlines you'd fly with to Newark, US Airways are no more. You would do pre clearance this way and your bags would be checked all the way through to Orlando. Virgin are a far superior airline to United and if the price is right I'd choose them in a heartbeat. To me pre clearance is a red herring but that's a totally different debate. I've done both and the lines in Dublin can be a hell of a lot worse. Again arrival times can effect this but the self service kiosks in the states have made things a breeze.

aaronm13 wrote:
    It's actually United Airlines you'd fly with to Newark, US Airways are no more. You would do pre clearance this way and your bags would be checked all the way through to Orlando. Virgin are a far superior airline to United and if the price is right I'd choose them in a heartbeat. To me pre clearance is a red herring but that's a totally different debate. I've done both and the lines in Dublin can be a hell of a lot worse. Again arrival times can effect this but the self service kiosks in the states have made things a breeze.

It showed up as sky scanner as US. I thought US were gone too. Its hard to know. The US one is about 2 hours less total journey time. Virgin are about 200 dearer (for all 3 of us) the thing I was worried about with them is I've heard stories about them sitting kids apart from parents and its £30 per seat to book before check in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Newark is great for getting into manhatten if you have a longish stopover. Its very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

aaronm13 wrote: »
    It's actually United Airlines you'd fly with to Newark, US Airways are no more. You would do pre clearance this way and your bags would be checked all the way through to Orlando. Virgin are a far superior airline to United and if the price is right I'd choose them in a heartbeat. To me pre clearance is a red herring but that's a totally different debate.

I fly between shannon and seattle a fair amount and i love the pre clearance in shannon, it means when i arrive in newark i can be out of the terminal and on a shuttle to NYC within twenty minutes. Lunch in manhatten then back to the airport for the flight to seattle.

Ah crap it's united airlines not AA

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've flown your Dublin - newark - orlando, also done it via shannon.

All of the flights out of Ireland that have the first stop in the states pre clear before departure, so that'll save some time.

Where about are you staying while in Orlando, or do you have that booked yet?

Thanks eeloe. Staying in avanti!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Unless you are making a big saving Ireland to the states and change there is a far better option than Ireland -uk and then us. Nothing worse than landing in the states after a long flight than facing an immigration queue a mile long and barely moving.

Newark is very well located for public transport into Manhattan (better than jfk) however its a hit and miss airport given it only has two runaways and if one of those close for any reason delays will be long

• Advertisement
Advertisement