Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Moved:Classic Cars] Classic Car Insurance for Performance cars

Options
  • 31-01-2017 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any issues with getting classic car insurance for performance cars?

First Ireland will quote me for a TT mk1 but won't give me a quote for a mk2 golf GTI. Same parameters 5,000 miles max. They told me the GTi will be harder to get covered on.

Tried Carol Nash and their quote for fully comp is very high almost the same as what I'm paying for on my Golf mk7 daily.

I don't have a garage but live in a safe estate in the sticks with loads of parking.

Campion are cheap but will only provide 3rd party coverage. Not sure I'm willing to take on the risk.

Anyone know of other Insurance companies offering competitive quotes?

(Mods if this post should be in the insurance sub-section please move. I placed it here thinking this section would be more appropriate)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

1.8 Golf / TT are hardly performance cars I would have thought? The problem is more likely that they attract the boy racer brigade who cause a lot of expensive claims and are therefore hard / expensive to insure. What age are you? Under 30 perhaps?

I had a Porsche 928 5l V8 insured as a classic through First Ireland fully comp for €325 (as my only car) while I was still in my 30s, but that was a good few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A mk2 16v GTI driven as it should be is very much a performance car

Jesus I miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jolyame

Bonjour ,d ' avance excusez la traduction en anglais parce que je parle plus ke francais ,ma question est que j' ai une MAZDA MX5 MK1 1993 depuis 2016,maintenant pour le renouvellement de l'assurance chez Octune en 2016 j' ai payé que 600 euros et maintenant l 'assurance me demande de payer 4x + cher le prix 2447 euros .fou si vous etes d'accord avec moi. Je dois trouver une nouvelle assurance au plus vite ,je pense plutot assurance classic cars que je vais contacter,mais si vous avez des renseignements ou adresse, tel d 'une assurance qui accepte ma voiture MAZDA MX5 1993 ,merci de me dire ,jolyame.....................................................................................................My question is that I have a MAZDA MX5 MK1 1993 since 2016, now for the renewal of the insurance at Octune in 2016 I have paid that 600 euros and now the insurance asks me to pay 4x + dear price 2447 euros .fou if you agree with me. I have to find a new insurance as soon as possible, I think rather insurance that I will contact, but if you have information or address, such an insurance that accepts my car MAZDA MX5 1993, thank you to tell me, jolyame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

jolyame
    have you tried new ireland? i have 2 cars insured with them a 1976 and a 1993, 360 euro for 1 plus an extra 60 for the other

best of luck, i think its going to get more expensive to insure any car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Do you mean 'First Ireland'?

From what I can see, 'New Ireland' dont appear to do car insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

jolyame,

I would also suggest that you try 'Autoline', who are based in Northern Ireland. I have two classics insured with them. They appear to have many classic car owners based in the Republic of Ireland on their books. Nice people to deal with too :)

www.autoline.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

first ireland it is

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

I have a 1990 Toyota Celica GT4 insured on a vintage policy with Campion for 170 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

I have 2 x 5.0 V8 Mercedes insured with First ireland for change

Advertisement