Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef cheeks

Options
  • 31-01-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I've a couple of beef cheeks and i want to feed a few lads this weekend before we go drinking!

Anyone care to share their recipe with me???

Im going to assume most people will have a similar theme:
    Seal, add veg, seal those, glaze with wine and stock and cook the **** outta it for 4+ hours :)

But looking to see if anyone has anything a bit different?

I've seen it marinated overnight in wine..

Also, anyone used a slow cooker for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Last time I cooked them was in a slow cooker. Was only a couple of weeks ago, but I can't remember the details. I put them in the slow cooker with a small amount of stock (and maybe red wine), shallots and probably a carrot and some celery. This SC is new to me, and seems to need High to get anywhere, but I started on Medium for a few hours before whacking it to High for a few hours more.

When the meat was cooked, I pulled it apart in the gravy using a couple of forks, and left it to cool. The next day, it was used in the filling of a cottage pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

My go to cut for beefy soakage!

Try the below, use celeriac for your mash as an option, goes really well with the strong flavour of the beef. I really char them before hand whilst sealing ,one stop before burnt, keeps them together when cooking and also adds a bit of colour to an otherwise murky grey colour. Use some good lardons or bacon when sealing them and add to the cooking stock, a nice alternative to adding salt. Chuck some whole shallots in for the last hour an an alternative to pearl onions.

I don't trust slow cookers as i find you can turn the meat a bit too mushy you still want a bit of texture or it becomes a tad un-palatable. 

https://www.conorbofin.com/2014/12/02/conflicted-tightwad-cooks-beef-cheeks-in-red-wine/

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/braised-beef-cheek-recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thanks. Looks good.

Some people cook it for up to 4 hours and others only 2 and bit like the above.

My father always says over cooking will result in the cheeks losing their flavour.

But I always like going longer once I've plenty of liquid.

Has anyone ever marinated them overnight in red wine? I've seen that somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,628 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone know where beef cheeks might be acquired (am based in Dublin)?
    Am not as fortunate as the OP in having them to hand... but have had them in restaurants and they were gorgeous.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Anyone know where beef cheeks might be acquired (am based in Dublin)?
    Am not as fortunate as the OP in having them to hand... but have had them in restaurants and they were gorgeous.

Nearly all butchers would order them for you.

City centre FXB and Fallon an Byrne nearly always have them in stock.

Get them trimmed of most sinew.

• Advertisement

Always get mine in FXB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Always get mine in FXB.

I bought them for the first time a few months back from the very same place. Gave them the touch of a pan for a few minutes, then put them in a casserole dish with beef stock, carrots, onions, mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes, small bit of cocoa powder, some fresh thyme.

Gave them 5 hours on a low heat in the oven.

It was a beef stew I suppose, but what a stew! It tasted deeply of beef. I love how FXB's offer cuts that other butchers just don't bother with these days.

I bought them for the first time a few months back from the very same place. Gave them the touch of a pan for a few minutes, then put them in a casserole dish with beef stock, carrots, onions, mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes, small bit of cocoa powder, some fresh thyme.

It was a beef stew I suppose, but what a stew! It tasted deeply of beef. I love how FXB's offer cuts that other butchers just don't bother with these days.

Pretty much what i did, no toms but threw in a bottle of red :cool:

Devine

I love how FXB's offer cuts that other butchers just don't bother with these days.

supply and demand i guess but if you know your butcher they generally have deliverys most days and will happily order them for you.

TBH beef cheeks aren't the kind of thing you just throw on for a quick dinner for 2 so this tends to not be an issue.

i've also found the standard of meat to be hit and miss with FXB, also really put off by their Moore street shop, stock can be hap hazard and i'm never impressed by the cleanliness of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi what temp did you cook this at please want to give it a go!
    sorry one more question, is the sauce / juice thick or thin

• Advertisement
Advertisement