Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council housing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

They will not decide the landlord has to do work-they may decide the house is uninhabitable and you have to move out, the landlord can fix it-if he has the money, if he doesn't, he may just rent it out to another tenant and the new tenant may rectify the situation themselves.

Not true, they will get a list of things that must be fixed (if there is any)

riclad wrote: »
    I think the council goes by how many points you have ,in the process
    of deciding who gets a house first .
    The points you have are calculated by how long you are on the list,your
    medical status , is there any special medical issues that might merit
    a large house, a house with a bathroom designed for an older person.Houses
    are usually given to familys with 2 or more children.
    My friend had one child ,after 7 years on rent allowance she got a new build 2bed
    apartment in finglas .With such serious medical issues you can go to
    your doctor and get a letter and bring it to the housing department
    to explain your medical problems and the issues with the present accomodation .Go to threshold and crosscare for advice.
    http://crosscare.ie/index.php/information-advocacy
    Crosscare Housing and Welfare Information (CHWI),and, are based in Sackville Place and Cathedral Street. The projects provide direct information and advocacy services in the areas of housing, homelessness, social welfare, health and wellbeing

Cathredral st is just off o,connell street , past the burger king, and the tax office.Dublin 1
    The crosscare office is opposite the church there .

Points system finished a few years ago and moved to time on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

A couple of points. I'm intrigued as to why the op isn't asking for solutions to the damp problem. If it's an old house, it may be rising damp which is expensive and difficult to remedy but the vast majority of times people ask about damp/mould here it's due to the tenants usage of the house. Some small adjustments to the way people live in a property can solve it.

If the EHO visits and issues the landlord with a list of things that need repairing the landlord must comply or they are breaking the regulations. It's quite black and white.

The council requires that children over 10 of a different gender have separate rooms so there's a few years to go to get further up the list before that becomes an issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- there are different types of dehumidifiers which work in different ways- and just because you used one and it failed to meet your expectations/needs- does not mean another won't work very well indeed. Do a little research- you may find that you can make your current accommodation work after all......

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

I second that- I have a dehumidifier that works well once the house is at 15 degrees. Mine was 150e in Aldi, and I wouldn't be without it, as I am prone to allergies/ sinusitis. There are compressor types that work below 15C.Have a look into getting one that suits your needs for the time being anyway.
    I was recently onto Crosscare regarding a problem for a friend who is in emergency accom with her disabled teenager for 12 months now. They share a room that is approx 8' x 10' in a so called hotel. Crosscare are excellent for free legal advice, and may put you in touch with other agencies who could help suitably house you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

BOHS wrote: »
    Not true, they will get a list of things that must be fixed (if there is any)

Not true, what the landlord can do, is decide he can't afford to fix them-what do you think happens then?

you cannot get blood from a stone, the council then says that you can no longer live there as it is uninhabitable and can refuse rent allowance-you cannot force a landlord to spend money, you can decide to leave, if things are not up to scratch or if you do not want to fix them yourself.

As I have already said, in my opinion, the smartest thing for this person to do, is to check out the damp problem themselves, it may be a minor issue, if they fix it, then their health problems should not recur-the other option, which a lot of people seem to suggest, is to keep being sick and getting sicker, in the hope that you will have more 'points' towards a council house.

I think the question should be-How can I improve my quality of life in these conditions? not -what is the best way for me to get a council house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Crosscare will give you advice and put you in touch with other agencys if neccessary, give you general advice .Going to the local labour td,may help you,
    you have nothing to lose.He,she will check are you being dealt fairly by the council ,you are in housing thats a danger to your health .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

OP- there are different types of dehumidifiers which work in different ways- and just because you used one and it failed to meet your expectations/needs- does not mean another won't work very well indeed. Do a little research- you may find that you can make your current accommodation work after all......

I already asked a few questions in relation to the damp issue and it seems op is only concerned with finding alternative housing as opposed to trying to remedy the immediate health hazard, which is their prerogative but if there are no council houses available and it is causing health problems it would definitely be my first port of call. Like you say, it could be easily fixed and there is nothing stopping op from remedying the situation while also trying to source alternative accommodation.

Not true, what the landlord can do, is decide he can't afford to fix them-what do you think happens then?

you cannot get blood from a stone, the council then says that you can no longer live there as it is uninhabitable and can refuse rent allowance-you cannot force a landlord to spend money, you can decide to leave, if things are not up to scratch or if you do not want to fix them yourself.

As I have already said, in my opinion, the smartest thing for this person to do, is to check out the damp problem themselves, it may be a minor issue, if they fix it, then their health problems should not recur-the other option, which a lot of people seem to suggest, is to keep being sick and getting sicker, in the hope that you will have more 'points' towards a council house.

I think the question should be-How can I improve my quality of life in these conditions? not -what is the best way for me to get a council house?

If the landlord isn't going to do the work for that tenant he can't just get rid of them and pass it on to another tenant, he will get a time frame as to when all the work needs to be complete or legal action will be taken. If he doesn't do it then he can't continue to rent whioch will be a lot more costly.

I agree with your opinion of it needs to be looked at for how to improve quality of life and not how do I mve up the list but that will always be looked at like that until they change how the system operates.

I don't understand why someone in their 20's/30's (Not talking about OP here) should be given a property for life. The waiting list should be allocated to serious medical and welfare cases before anyone else is looked at and then the rest should realistically be alloacted for 10 years...etc which should give time for people to get back on their feet/ save...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

And he can decide not to rent, there is no legislation that says he has to improve the property-it can be said that the council will not accept the property or that it is not inhabitable, but that doesn't mean he has to improve it.

One requirement for property to be up to council standards, is a fan or window that opens, in any form of wc, however, there are lots of properties that do not have this and they have passed building standards, but not council standards, hence part of the reason so many council houses remain idle-the requirements are often way ott compared to private rentals.
    If the landlord isn't going to do the work for that tenant he can't just get rid of them and pass it on to another tenant, he will get a time frame as to when all the work needs to be complete or legal action will be taken. If he doesn't do it then he can't continue to rent whioch will be a lot more costly.

I agree with your opinion of it needs to be looked at for how to improve quality of life and not how do I mve up the list but that will always be looked at like that until they change how the system operates.

I don't understand why someone in their 20's/30's (Not talking about OP here) should be given a property for life. The waiting list should be allocated to serious medical and welfare cases before anyone else is looked at and then the rest should realistically be alloacted for 10 years...etc which should give time for people to get back on their feet/ save...etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

As the list in DCC now works by length of time it is not a case as some people have stated that "men are bottom of the list" or if you are not on their radar you won't be looked at", it is simply a matter of are you high enough on the list to be considered.

If that was true, my Brother would still be sleeping on couches. Stuff only got done when he was actively engaging with the council, submitting medical reports and other documentation to help him secure accommodation more quickly. Most TDs were useless and indeed they only got an update of the number my Brother was on the list, but one TD (or rather the secretary) was very helpful and was the reason my Brother is housed where he is now. Perhaps on paper they say it's based on length of time, but the reality is different.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Tds can't get you a council house. They can get you an update on your position but can't influence the allocation of houses.

Its true that they can't get you a house, but if they want to, they can help move things along more quickly if there are exceptional circumstances to be considered. Pressing medical issues can be exceptional circumstances.

goz83 wrote: »
    If that was true, my Brother would still be sleeping on couches. Stuff only got done when he was actively engaging with the council, submitting medical reports and other documentation to help him secure accommodation more quickly. Most TDs were useless and indeed they only got an update of the number my Brother was on the list, but one TD (or rather the secretary) was very helpful and was the reason my Brother is housed where he is now. Perhaps on paper they say it's based on length of time, but the reality is different.

Its true that they can't get you a house, but if they want to, they can help move things along more quickly if there are exceptional circumstances to be considered. Pressing medical issues can be exceptional circumstances.

Of course a TD can submit medical letters on your behalf but by giving it to a TD instead of giving it yourself doesn't move it along any quicker, you would have the exact same outcome if you submitted it yourself as it's not the Council that decide on medical issues but an outside medical referee.

There are 2 priorities an applicant can apply for (Medical and Welfare) and neither are influenced by Local Reps.

And he can decide not to rent, there is no legislation that says he has to improve the property-it can be said that the council will not accept the property or that it is not inhabitable, but that doesn't mean he has to improve it.

One requirement for property to be up to council standards, is a fan or window that opens, in any form of wc, however, there are lots of properties that do not have this and they have passed building standards, but not council standards, hence part of the reason so many council houses remain idle-the requirements are often way ott compared to private rentals.

A property has to comply with the standards that were valid when it was built- not the standards that are in place today. Thus a property may fail every single check on a council list- and still be fully standard's compliant- and qualify under every heading as a rental property.

If the council have a long and meandering wishlist that they'd like every property to meet- that is their prerogative- however, there is no onus any landlord to comply with their wishlist- and the only sanction the council have is to refuse to accept a private property in their schemes, which is their want, however, the landlord can simply then let it privately- which is also their want.

If councils want to specify all manner of standards for housing that regular residential housing does not have to comply with- let them- however, they will need to ensure that they are in a position to ensure supply- this is where the stumbling block is- they have some brightspark in a back room coming up with wonderful ideas for housing- but there is absolutely no consideration for how this will affect supply (obviously it throttles it)- nor any apparent care (implied or otherwise).

Its the same way- Minister Kelly changed all the rules regarding minimum sizes for apartments- and Minister Coveney has suddenly discovered there are no apartments being constructed in Dublin or Cork which are suitable for wheelchair users- as wider doors or hallways take from the already minimal sizes for other rooms- making the entire property non-compliant.

Law of unintended consequences.

A property has to comply with the standards that were valid when it was built- not the standards that are in place today. Thus a property may fail every single check on a council list- and still be fully standard's compliant- and qualify under every heading as a rental property.

If the council have a long and meandering wishlist that they'd like every property to meet- that is their prerogative- however, there is no onus any landlord to comply with their wishlist- and the only sanction the council have is to refuse to accept a private property in their schemes, which is their want, however, the landlord can simply then let it privately- which is also their want.

If councils want to specify all manner of standards for housing that regular residential housing does not have to comply with- let them- however, they will need to ensure that they are in a position to ensure supply- this is where the stumbling block is- they have some brightspark in a back room coming up with wonderful ideas for housing- but there is absolutely no consideration for how this will affect supply (obviously it throttles it)- nor any apparent care (implied or otherwise).

Its the same way- Minister Kelly changed all the rules regarding minimum sizes for apartments- and Minister Coveney has suddenly discovered there are no apartments being constructed in Dublin or Cork which are suitable for wheelchair users- as wider doors or hallways take from the already minimal sizes for other rooms- making the entire property non-compliant.

Law of unintended consequences.

I think you are mixed up here. Environmental Health Officers are there to ensure that Private Rented Properties meet the standard and there is legal consequences if theyt do not comply.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-housing-private-rented-housing-environmental-health-section/inspections-private

I think you are mixed up here. Environmental Health Officers are there to ensure that Private Rented Properties meet the standard and there is legal consequences if theyt do not comply.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-housing-private-rented-housing-environmental-health-section/inspections-private

Yes.
    However, councils let properties (typically on 10 year leases) from landlords for social housing tenants. They go and put all manner of conditions over and above those that apply to the private rental sector on the properties they are letting. So- the landlords feck off and let them privately instead.........

Of course a TD can submit medical letters on your behalf but by giving it to a TD instead of giving it yourself doesn't move it along any quicker, you would have the exact same outcome if you submitted it yourself as it's not the Council that decide on medical issues but an outside medical referee.

There are 2 priorities an applicant can apply for (Medical and Welfare) and neither are influenced by Local Reps.

That is not what I experienced as recently as a few short months ago. Had a phone call not been made by a certain TDs secretary, I am certain that my Brother would still be waiting.

The number on the list often means feck all. How else can someone be in single digits for more than a year? It was only changed when he started to kick up a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That is not what I experienced as recently as a few short months ago. Had a phone call not been made by a certain TDs secretary, I am certain that my Brother would still be waiting.

The number on the list often means feck all. How else can someone be in single digits for more than a year? It was only changed when he started to kick up a fuss.

Coincidence, or an easily bullied housing official. There are some areas with dedicated public reps offices like medical cards or student grants but all a TD is supposed to be able to do in relation to housing is ask for updates .

Very easily, when you consider how many lists their are (approx 9 in DCC) and how few 1 bed vacancies can come up in certain areas

athtrasna wrote: »
    Coincidence, or an easily bullied housing official. There are some areas with dedicated public reps offices like medical cards or student grants but all a TD is supposed to be able to do in relation to housing is ask for updates .

I'm not a believer in coincidence. But I do know that where there are rules, they can always be bent, or broken. Some people are fast tracked because of their contacts. My brother is aware that one of his fellow council neighbours was given a 3 bed duplex above him, despite only having one child. A close enough relative of hers is supposedly connected with the building.

There was contact with about 6 TDs over the years and a few councillors, who were only able to do as you say. The odd thing is that the TD (or secretary of said TD) was actually outside our constituency and still managed to pull the final strings and gave a good telling off to the local housing officer in our area.
    Very easily, when you consider how many lists their are (approx 9 in DCC) and how few 1 bed vacancies can come up in certain areas

It is a 2 bed he was given. His circumstances changed when he took custody of his son around June last year. His number remained the same even when he was told it would be higher.

For at least a year, he was in single digits on the priority list without any change. Eventually he was number 1 on the list, which lasted for a good few weeks. I did some of the driving around bringing him to places to drop in forms and any of the officials he spoke to seemed gobsmacked that he was number 1 and still hadn't been housed.

In the end, the council were great to get the tenants into the apartments. They are the only residents since December and the people who paid for their apartments are still waiting to move in.

The odd thing is that the TD (or secretary of said TD) was actually outside our constituency and still managed to pull the final strings and gave a good telling off to the local housing officer in our area.

If a TD did this- its a clearcut abuse of office, and if its brought to attention of the Oireachtas committee- the member (the TD) would face censure for their actions.

This is not how democracy works in Ireland- regardless of what people imagine.

• Advertisement

If a TD did this- its a clearcut abuse of office, and if its brought to attention of the Oireachtas committee- the member (the TD) would face censure for their actions.

This is not how democracy works in Ireland- regardless of what people imagine.

The abuse is what my Brother went through for years while waiting to be housed, while his wife walked straight into accommodation after wetting her cheeks.

Advertisement