Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stamp duty

• 31-01-2017 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi.. I went into a Boi branch today to cancel/close my credit card.. I had cleared my balance in the last few weeks.. I was told I would have to pay stamp duty before closing it.. I was under the impression that I had paid for the year in April 16. Is this correct that I have to pay it again now if I want to close the account.. Tia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning nesswill, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

The Government Stamp duty of E30 is collected by Bank of Ireland on behalf of the Revenue Commissioners and is applied upon closure of a Credit Card as it is charged in arrears on all accounts. 

The tax year for Credit Cards runs from the 1st of April to the 31st of March each year. The E30 which you would have paid on the 2nd of April 2016 was for the previous tax year running from the 1st of April 2015 to the 31 of March 2016. As your account has been open within the new tax year the Government stamp Duty is charged upon closure. 

If you are changing your card to another Credit Card provider and once you have paid this years tax with ourselves, you are entitled to whats known as a 'Government Stamp Duty exemption letter'. This letter confirms that you've paid the tax for this year which would make you exempt from paying this fee on your new card. This term only applies if you are moving from one provider and opening a new account with another provider. 

I hope this helps answer your query and if you need anything else, please let me know. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nesswill

Oh thanks for that.. I don't know why I thought that it was paid for the year to follow. My mistake. Thanks again

Advertisement