Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account closure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    We have banking talk to forums, likely someone posted their account number there

Yep, that happens on those forums from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Collie D wrote: »
    This caught my eye and just being nosey but can you give details of what happened? Understand if you can't.

Let's just say all they were short of posting was the 3-digit CCV number on the back of their ATM card. Everything else was there for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Let's just say all they were short of posting was the 3-digit CCV number on the back of their ATM card. Everything else was there for all to see.

*posted from Tom Dunne's brand new gold-plated iPhone* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I have what might be a cheeky question but I'm itching to know. Can Boards staff read PMs? I mean I'm sure ye wouldn't unless someone had reported harassment by PM..just curious

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

I have what might be a cheeky question but I'm itching to know. Can Boards staff read PMs? I mean I'm sure ye wouldn't unless someone had reported harassment by PM..just curious

Even if someone says that they're being harassed via PM, they actually have to click the Report button within the PM for it to be seen. This creates a thread in a private forum that only Admins can see with the contents of the message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Even if someone says that they're being harassed via PM, they actually have to click the Report button within the PM for it to be seen. This creates a thread in a private forum that only Admins can see with the contents of the message.

A little misleading in my opinion. I don't believe myself there's any fear of it being abused but those with access to the DB have access to PMs if I'm not mistaken? They're stored somewhere and someone has access

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    A little misleading in my opinion. I don't believe myself there's any fear of it being abused but those with access to the DB have access to PMs if I'm not mistaken? They're stored somewhere and someone has access

I believe the tech guys can get access, but this is reserved for instances where a court order arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd have been more surprised if the higher up people on boards couldn't see PMs and the likes. I see boards in the same light as I.T. where I work or my Internet service provider. The information is there if they need it but usually nobody is going to go looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The reason I asked is a friend had some trouble with a seller on Adverts and when she complained to Adverts she didn't have to forward the PMs between her and the problematic seller, they were able to see it without her having to do anything. I just wondered if it's the same on Boards. I'm clueless about IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can't speak for Adverts at all. But on Boards, Admins only ever get to see the contents of a PM when it is willingly shared with them (either forwarded to an Admin or reported via Report PM).

From an IT perspective, I'm sure that the tech team *could* read PMs direct from the database (as could any DBA), as Mark said, but that would have to be done for a very good reason (i.e. complying with a court order).

• Advertisement
Advertisement