Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New vaping regulations.

Options
  • 31-01-2017 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

These new rules are crazy.Don't understand the thinking behind them.Will also cost so much more and I can see vape shop closures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

eireboi83 wrote: »
    These new rules are crazy.Don't understand the thinking behind them.Will also cost so much more and I can see vape shop closures.

What are they?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Moved from Smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eireboi83

From may you can only buy 10ml vape juice concentrates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Look up TPD Ireland and you can find out everything you need to know.

I have just started vaping and making my own juice.Do you think i should just give up nicotine as these new rules will make it too exspensive??I find there is little choice for diy vape in ireland online or in shops.Postage and packaging is a killer sometimes more than the value of the product.does these new rules include the puchase of diy liquid.Also i have a very cheap set up like 10 euro but with good kangertech and i clear coils but the flavour is minimal at best.What do you suggest??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I have just started vaping and making my own juice.Do you think i should just give up nicotine as these new rules will make it too exspensive??I find there is little choice for diy vape in ireland online or in shops.Postage and packaging is a killer sometimes more than the value of the product.does these new rules include the puchase of diy liquid.Also i have a very cheap set up like 10 euro but with good kangertech and i clear coils but the flavour is minimal at best.What do you suggest??

DIY mixing will still be cheap as chips even after the regulations kick in,as long as you buy your Nicotine between now & May,I would suggest buying it now,buy at least 250ml at 7.2% at Darkstar (250ml should last you approx a year or 2 roughly,depends how you vape) http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/shop/72mg-nicotine & buy your PG/VG as well http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/shop/pg-vg or buy your PG/VG already mixed of your choice 70/30 or 85/15 or 60/40 VG/PG
    http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/base-mix/base-mix

Or you could buy a litre of pre-mixed VG/PG/Nic at different strengths of Nic,the base is 55VG/35PG.I have tried a litre of the 6mg & it is very good stuff http://www.vapebase.de/Vape-Bases/VGPG-Vape-Bases/55/35/10-Vape-Bases:::2_4_21.html

There's a way around the postage,we use Parcel Motel,I use it for Darkstar or any other UK Vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Vapely

They're extremely counter productive. The act of limiting bottle sizes to 10ml when we saw the complete opposite for 10 packs of cigarettes is baffling.

Restrictions on advertising make sense (although obviously frustrating from a vendor's perspective). Lab testing is also very welcome, it benefits everyone but it's quite expensive.

From the wholesalers we use that do have TPD compliant liquids on the way, the prices seem to be slightly more expensive but thankfully nothing drastic (yet). Remains to be seen if vendors will absorb this cost or pass it on to the consumer, we're optimistic they won't raise significantly. If, like me, you're used to paying €10+ a day on cigarettes you can probably live with a couple euro increase for a 10 day supply. We're optimistic that the price for ordering 3x10ml bottles will remain close to what you pay for a single 30ml bottle today.

The real loss here will be the many smaller manufacturers who can't pivot to satisfy the new rules, along with the US manufacturers who will be far too busy adjusting to their own overbearing regulations and either shut down entirely, or simply don't have the resources or interest in simultaneously preparing for EU legislation.

It's sad but we're hopeful the indiustry will pull through and continue to attract more and more vapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I only generally buy online and from the UK via parcel motel so won't affect me but yeah absolutely ridiculous, the shambles of a government again, vaping should be actively encouraged to smokers, especially long term smokers who find it impossible to give up, i know in my case as someone who smoked for over 30 years started in school and only gave up in my early 40's and the vape was the only thing that worked, this old chestnut "just go cold turkey" doesn't wash, some people can but majority can't, vaping has been a godsend for me and i feel a million times better than what i used to when i was smoking 20 JP Blue a day and double that at weekends.

Just to clarify, these regulations are brought in by Europe and have been implemented by the UK. My understanding is come May you won't find any 30ml liquids at UK retailers either but who knows how Brexit may affect that.

It's unfortunate that vaping is receiving this kind of opposition when it has clearly helped so many people and has the potential to help so many more. Let's hope common sense (and science) prevails and we'll see a relaxing of the regulations in futrure.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

Has Ireland any plans to bring in the same regulations? Or is it just the UK, complete desaster if they do

• Advertisement

Unfortunately every EU country must and has implemented the new regulations.

These were implemented before the Brexit referendum so the UK may repeal the legislation once it leaves the EU but my understanding is that it will not be possible for them do so before that time.

I do not believe it will be legal to import non-TPD compliant liquids as a consumer from non EU countries (US for example). So if the UK does repeal the legislation after leaving the EU and sell non-TPD compliant liquids, we won't be able to purchase them online legally. I assume they will be held at customs and destroyed but who knows how strictly it will be enforced.

Here in Ireland, as a member of the EU, we're stuck with the new rules but as I mentioned before, hopefully vendors will be able to absorb most of the additional expense without passing it on to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

If, like me, you're used to paying €10+ a day on cigarettes you can probably live with a couple euro increase for a 10 day supply.
    If you've been vaping at a DIY cost of about 1 euro per day for the past few years though its a HUGE hit - 25-30ml is about what I go through in 12 hours.

was.deevey wrote: »
    If you've been vaping at a DIY cost of about 1 euro per day for the past few years though its a HUGE hit - 25-30ml is about what I go through in 12 hours.

Peeps I could be wrong here but when these mad laws come in may 20 approx.you can no longer get diy liquid or pre mixed in anything but 10ml is this true?That's what makes me think that packaging alone will increase the price.Also you can't get a nicotine strength higher than 20/24,mg which will also drive up cost.Since UK have left the EU do they have to comply to the same laws.If not how will they police the buying from UK sites into ireland?Thank You for all the replies,very interesting.Kind regards Stephen.

Since UK have left the EU do they have to comply to the same laws.If not how will they police the buying from UK sites into ireland?Thank You for all the replies,very interesting.Kind regards Stephen.

The UK has voted to leave the EU. Its going to be about 18 months minimum until they are legally out of the EU and have to comply with EU law until they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

Well I bought 5 litres of nicotine just there so f*ck off regulations.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Nice one...

chipfox wrote: »
    Well I bought 5 litres of nicotine just there so f*ck off regulations.

How much you pay for item postage etc.which site and how long will that last you??:pac:

Peeps I could be wrong here but when these mad laws come in may 20 approx.you can no longer get diy liquid or pre mixed in anything but 10ml is this true?

I believe the 10ml limitation is only relevant for products sold as "e-liquids". Purchasing PG,VG and Nicotine individually shouldn't have to meet this requirement and so DIYers, while probably facing a slight increase in costs, should still remain viable and cost effective. Of course they may always introduce further restrictions targeted at DIYers, it seems this wave of regulations is aimed moreso at manufacturers.
    Since UK have left the EU do they have to comply to the same laws.If not how will they police the buying from UK sites into ireland?
    As someone else mentioned above, the UK has already implemented the laws and for now at least, is still a member of the EU. There's a much bigger picture here than e-liquid when it comes to how trade will exist between the EU and the UK, and Ireland and the UK. For all we know, every single shipment coming into the country from the UK will be subject to inspection and as I said, any e-liquids that are not compliant for sale in the EU will not be allowed enter the country.

I could see the Chinese mod cloners hitting e liquids in a big way when these regulations come in. Can't blame em either. If there's money to be made they'll be all over it, and rightly so

How much you pay for item postage etc.which site and how long will that last you??:pac:
    £6.95 is what the site charge but they only ship to the UK so I use parcelmotel, so an extra €4 on top of that. About €13 postage isn't bad for a pack that big.

I bought it from here:

http://www.darkstarvapour.co.uk/shop/72mg-nicotine/72mg-pg-nicotine

I'd say I vape probably around 1ml (probably less) of that nicotine concentrate per day but I make a lot just to give to other people.

• Advertisement

My package from Darkstar was dispatched yesterday,I got an email from DPD this morning to say they were expecting my parcel but it has been delayed,no reason given,I just checked the tracking now & it says my parcel has arrived & on it's way to PM in NI.

That's pretty fast for them. Wonder when this most recent batch of nic was made. Really hoping it will keep for a few years in the freezer

Hard to know how long nic will last in a freezer,maybe it will degrade a small bit after 5 years or more hopefully,I must google it to see if there is any info on it...

I thought darkstar was a bit fast,I'm sure it took 3 days to dispatch on all my other orders... makes you think tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

was.deevey wrote: »

jaysus thats a lot of liquid :eek: id be lucky to go through that in 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jonnny68 wrote: »

That's a sick amount of liquid for 12 hours, I've been using the same 15ml bottle for the last 5 days and still have about a day left!

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    jonnny68 wrote: »

That's a sick amount of liquid for 12 hours, I've been using the same 15ml bottle for the last 5 days and still have about a day left!
    I'd be the same time and amount of mls.Ur not supposed to drink it!!!

My package from Darkstar was dispatched yesterday,I got an email from DPD this morning to say they were expecting my parcel but it has been delayed,no reason given,I just checked the tracking now & it says my parcel has arrived & on it's way to PM in NI.
    Ordered 1 litre of nic,pg and vg .waiting for email with tracking number and dispatch confirmation.Totalled at 53 euro inc.taxes and delivery.I'm happy with that.Going to break it up into 4 x250ml bottles and freeze three.Nor sure if it degrades the fluids.but I know once you freeze the expiry date doesn't matter same as freezing food items.Thanks dipstick for ur assistance.very much appreciated pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

It depends on the tank and wattage how much juice you go through tho. If your vaping on a high wattage tank like a Baby Beast, it absolutely guzzles down the juice.

Vapely wrote: »
    I believe the 10ml limitation is only relevant for products sold as "e-liquids". Purchasing PG,VG and Nicotine individually shouldn't have to meet this requirement and so DIYers, while probably facing a slight increase in costs, should still remain viable and cost effective. Of course they may always introduce further restrictions targeted at DIYers, it seems this wave of regulations is aimed moreso at manufacturers.

As someone else mentioned above, the UK has already implemented the laws and for now at least, is still a member of the EU. There's a much bigger picture here than e-liquid when it comes to how trade will exist between the EU and the UK, and Ireland and the UK. For all we know, every single shipment coming into the country from the UK will be subject to inspection and as I said, any e-liquids that are not compliant for sale in the EU will not be allowed enter the country.

Then diy is affected??

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    It depends on the tank and wattage how much juice you go through tho. If your vaping on a high wattage tank like a Baby Beast, it absolutely guzzles down the juice.

I did hear drippers and box mods guzzle it up.Still on starter pens but going to upgrade to joytech aio box mod soon.cheap vape pens give little flavour and prone to leaks etc.Just joking with you mate.

Advertisement