Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House share

Options
  • 31-01-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I own my own house and rent out two of the room at a very reasonable rate. I don't have a big mortgage and so feel I would only be feeding into the crazy rental market by looking for way more than I need. I say this, to give context that I am a fair person I think!
    We are all late 20's/early 30's and the house has just one bathroom...when moving in I'm very upfront with all tenants about house guests. Welcome on occasion, partners not staying over more than 2 nights a week. Everyone agreed and we were all happy out. One of the girls however is constantly having our boyfriend over, to be fair they are always in her room but it's the bathroom bit that I hate. I don't want to be legging it up from the shower to bump into them.
    I've had to pull her up on it 3 times now and now he's been here 4/7 nights. Am I being unreasonable? She's fairly sound apart from that, but I feel like I was very upfront at the start and if it didn't suit her she shouldn't have taken the room.
    I want to ask her to leave now, as there's no point in saying it a 4th time..but just aware how hard it is to find accommodation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I own my own house and rent out two of the room at a very reasonable rate.
    I've had to pull her up on it 3 times now and now he's been here 4/7 nights. Am I being unreasonable?
    Give her notice, and tell the next tenant of the max amount of nights the other half can stay over.

You are being very fair its your house and you set the rules.

If she is a good tenant otherwise maybe give her one more chance with the warning that she will get notice to leave the immediately the next time she has her boyfriend say over more than once a week. You could also remind her of how difficukt it is to find somewhere else which might frighten her into copping on.

Also if I was you I wouldn't be renting out the rooms cheaply. You are sacrificing a lot by giving up the privacy of your home to rent out rooms and you should be getting well rewarded financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

A renter's not going to pay you more when the market is weak. So I wouldn't reduce rent when market is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

Sit her down and give her a final warning. it's your house and you told her the rules. Her finding another place because she wants somewhere that will let her have permanent guests is not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yep sit her down and explain that you are not looking for an argument and that when she came on board she signed up to an agreement about visitors. you've been very reasonable with the rules but she has taken advantage of them entirely. And call it a day. She may be too loved up at this point to care for rules but thats not your problem she knew them when she went in perhaps their own place should be their next stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Be fair to yourself and the other tennants, you can't expect them to live by the rules when you let her way with not. Give her her notice and ask her to go, give 5 weeks to find somewhere, she can move at the end of any of those weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I disagree with the others. She is in her 20s/30s and not a 17 year first time out of home. She knows what she is doing is wrong. If she has been warned 3 times already and is ignoring you, you have no choice but to evict her. Give her 6 weeks to leave if you are worried about her having difficulty finding somewhere else. But I find if you give someone 2 weeks or 6 weeks, the person with 6 weeks notice will start looking at week 4. Plus you are dealing with the bf for another 6 weeks.

I would give her 4 weeks notice. Don't forget she is getting evicted for not listening to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

You are sacrificing a lot by giving up the privacy of your home to rent out rooms and you should be getting well rewarded financially.
    Are the Government forcing people to rent out rooms now? There was me thinking they incentivised it with tax free income...

Are the Government forcing people to rent out rooms now? There was me thinking they incentivised it with tax free income...

No but you are still giving up the privacy of your home and providing accommodation that would otherwise not be available, especially now in a time of severe shortage. If I were renting rooms it would be for the maximum achievable rent per room thus maximising my income and getting as much benefit as possible from the tax exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

No but you are still giving up the privacy of your home and providing accommodation that would otherwise not be available, especially now in a time of severe shortage. If I were renting rooms it would be for the maximum achievable rent per room thus maximising my income and getting as much benefit as possible from the tax exemption.
    Exploit the market sure, which 99.999% of landlords do.

Landlords don't deserve extra simply for "sacrificing" their privacy however. That's included in the market rate. Same as not owning the property and being subject to certain conditions is for the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

You have an opportunity to upgrade your house and en-suite the rooms
    If you put the rent to market value or near market value.

So everyone gets more privacy starting with you if you get an ensuite in your room :-)

Ok can you build an Ext or put a loo under stairs or convert the attic with an ensuite ? Remortgage for a home improvement ?

Give her notice to leave

Also she is a licencee not a tenant and isn't untitled to notice but play fair if she plays fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

worded wrote: »
    Also she is a licencee not a tenant and isn't untitled to notice but play fair if she plays fair

That statement is completely correct but I'm wondering if you intended it to be so? :pac:

Licensees are entitled to 'reasonable' notice.

+1 on the en suites and upgrades to the house advice.

Licensees are entitled to 'reasonable' notice.

Source? They have pretty much zero rights or laws governing them AFAIK.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Source? They have pretty much zero rights or laws governing them AFAIK.

It's the common law position on licensees. What reasonable is or the damages concerned would be for a court to determine in each case.

I thought I had a text book I could cite an example for you here but I don't sorry. Here's the citizen's advice page for you. It doesn't give case law examples but they could be found easily enough although I doubt any apply directly to RAR. You'll find examples on hotels and I'd suggest that's a reasonable starting point plus a bit more as presumably someone in a hotel has a home to go to.

Exploit the market sure, which 99.999% of landlords do.

Landlords don't deserve extra simply for "sacrificing" their privacy however. That's included in the market rate. Same as not owning the property and being subject to certain conditions is for the tenant.

This is not a LL and tenant situation. The op is the owner and the people staying there are licensees (house guests in other words). While I did mean market rate when I said "maximum rent possible" a home owner renting rooms is not bound by market rate, they can ask for what ever they want, they won't get it of course if they ask too much but its not like a LL and tenant who are bound by many rules and regulations.
    It's the common law position on licensees. What reasonable is or the dmages concerned would be for a court to determine in each case.

There is no definition of "reasonable notice". While the ops lodger isn't the worst by any means and I doubt the op will kick her out immediately but in theory she could be given 24 hours notice to vacate (or told to go on the spot if they were particularly bad). A licensee can't even go to the RTB so even if they want to argue their case they will have hard time in getting their voice heard and even if they do find someone the chances of them getting anywhere up against the home owner when they were a guest is almost non-existent.

There is no definition of "reasonable notice". While the ops lodger isn't the worst by any means and I doubt the op will kick her out immediately but in theory she could be given 24 hours notice to vacate (or told to go on the spot if they were particularly bad). A licensee can't even go to the RTB so even if they want to argue their case they will have hard time in getting their voice heard and even if they do find someone the chances of them getting anywhere up against the home owner when they were a guest is almost non-existent.

That's not the same though as not entitled to any notice though.

That's not the same though as not entitled to any notice though.

Well its not that different. It could be 30 mins notice to pack up and get out if the home owner felt strongly enough about getting them out.

Well its not that different. It could be 30 mins notice to pack up and get out if the home owner felt strongly enough about getting them out.

I have to disagree there.

It could potentially be 30 minutes if there was reason for it but in the vast majority of situations, where the tenant is not an immediate threat to the property reasonable is probably going to be in the order of 24 hours or so.

I think it's dangerous for people to think they can just kick someone to the curb (so to speak) if they are renting a room. I concede it's unlikely to do to court, but it could and result in damages awarded against the home owner.

Edit: Heading over to LD as I'm derailing here, apologies. Thanks for the interesting discussion Nox.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sit down and chat with her and explain that you are not happy and if he stays over he can pay rent too or move out.

I think it's dangerous for people to think they can just kick someone to the curb (so to speak) if they are renting a room. I concede it's unlikely to do to court, but it could and result in damages awarded against the home owner.

Edit: Heading over to LD as I'm derailing here, apologies. Thanks for the interesting discussion Nox.

What court? The RTB will not take it. The small claims court only appears to take issues with the deposit aspect of it and damages of wear and tear of it.

I could see the smalls court in a circumstance like this will see the license was in breach of their agreement, was warned 3 times about it and failed to listen to the owner. If you were in a hotel and warned three times about your behaviour and were kicked out on the fourth, I can't see too many people agreeing with someone kicking you out. Yes living in someone home is different, but the law still sees you as equal to a hotel guest.

I dont know the ins and outs of the smalls claims court, but if I was the register and read what the license was doing, I would find it very hard to be empathetic to the situation she found herself in.

• Advertisement

Although I've seen some sites suggesting that this sort of thing could be done through the Small Claims Procedure, I doubt it could be. They deal specifically with deposits AFAIK. They could also deal with property damage through say chucking someones belongings out.

The court would be the court that had jurisdiction in terms of damages claimed, I imagine the District Court in the vast majority of cases. While a registrar will try and sort things out informally a DCJ will not. He would hear legal submissions, they wouldn't need to be complicated - here's the common law position in case X and Y and Z and make a determination. The costs for doing so are not prohibitive by any means and a 'tenant' in a licensee type arrangement would generally have very little to lose given that enforcement would be nigh on impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

Thanks everyone for feedback and advice.
    I'm aware I could get more - but I think rents are ridiculous and I don't want to feed into that.
    I'm going to ask her to leave, will give her 6 weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I'm aware I could get more - but I think rents are ridiculous and I don't want to feed into that.

Might be an idea to give her the flexibility to finish up early also if she finds a place. Given the market you should be able to replace her quickly. Also it will get her gone earlier potentially. It's better for her as it gives her much more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Point out to her that if the boyfriend stays more than 2 nights a week during that time, you'll have to ask her to leave immediately. Whether you do or not is up to you, but I could see her taking the p for the next 6 weeks if she knows she's out anyway.

Maybe the way to phrase it is I'm giving you 2 weeks notice, but am willing to extend that to 6 as long as boyfriend isn't around more than twice a week for the remainder of your stay. Any breach of that after the 2 weeks are up and she'll have to leave straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Here's the citizen's advice page for you.
    From said link;
    • Any notice you may get of the termination of the tenancy is at your landlord's discretion (although the landlord is obliged to give reasonable notice, the specifics of this notice may vary)
    • You cannot use the RTB's dispute resolution service if a disagreement arises between you and your landlord

=-=
    Perhaps say that the boyfriend is not allowed over during this time (may quicken her departure), and if she wants to leave before the six weeks, grand, let her leave; pointless having her stay the six weeks if she wants out before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

the_syco wrote: »
    From said link;

=-=

Perhaps say that the boyfriend is not allowed over during this time (may quicken her departure), and if she wants to leave before the six weeks, grand, let her leave; pointless having her stay the six weeks if she wants out before then.

+1.

Did you say she was less thsn 20 years old? If so she is likely to be imature about the predicament she now finds herself in.

Calc / agree with rent per day and explain early departure = extra € returned.
    Explain you will play fair with €.

This could be a very long stressful 6 weeks for you.
    Make it the normal 4 weeks. IF she is behaved during the 4 weeks and can't find another place = likely. Extend +2. If she isn't behaved shorten the 4 weeks.
    You have been a pushover to her so far. The atmosphere will change poss dramatically when she knows her number is up. Prepare for this.

No more BF overnights. 0. Focus her on finding a new nest and wrecking someone else's head.

Hope you find a better flat mate the next time. That's what you need a "flat mate", not a "tenant".

Usually first year students, first year away from home are a nightmare - avoid.

Best of luck !

the_syco wrote: »
    From said link;

The termination is at the LL discretion, not the notice. As per that link.

(As opposed to say the RTA 2004 where there is no discretionary termination during a Part IV, only termination on specific grounds.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The termination is at the LL discretion, not the notice. As per that link.

(As opposed to say the RTA 2004 where there is no discretionary termination during a Part IV, only termination on specific grounds.)

Semantic reading of the plain English used by Citizen's Information is shaky legal ground at best. I don't know the legal basis for what establishes that a landlord must give a licensee 'reasonable notice' and I assume it would be determined on a case by case basis. If it is based in common law I think the legal discussion forum would be the best place to discuss precedents and basis for what constitutes reasonable.

Outside of that, we can only advise landlords and licensees that reasonable notice is required and what that entails is contextual.

Edit: I see you already have a Legal Discussion topic covering this.

Semantic reading of the plain English used by Citizen's Information is shaky legal ground at best. I don't know the legal basis for what establishes that a landlord must give a licensee 'reasonable notice' and I assume it would be determined on a case by case basis. If it is based in common law I think the legal discussion forum would be the best place to discuss precedents and basis for what constitutes reasonable.

Outside of that, we can only advise landlords and licensees that reasonable notice is required and what that entails is contextual.

It's hardly sematics. It's there in plain english from the CI.

Reasonable notice IS required. What that is I have absolutely no idea, but leaving people with the impression they can come home, ask the tenant to leave that evening is pretty reckless IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It's hardly sematics. It's there in plain english from the CI.

Reasonable notice IS required. What that is I have absolutely no idea, but leaving people with the impression they can come home, ask the tenant to leave that evening is pretty reckless IMO.

I've followed up in your thread Reasonable Notice. I'd like to limit the legal discussion in A&P to the RTA thanks.

Advertisement