Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House share

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's hardly sematics. It's there in plain english from the CI.

CI get things wrong more often than you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

CI get things wrong more often than you would expect.

Frequently, but they're not wrong here. Further disccusion though in the linked thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A licencee in a house share with an owner occupier is in the same legal position as a guest in a hotel. Reasonable is a matter of construing the circumstances. If I book into a hotel for 3 nights, it is unreasonable for the hotel to come to the room on the first night and tell me to go for the sole reason that someone else has offered more money for a room. If however, on the first night, I am breaking the conditions of the contract or behaving unreasonably by shouting in corridors at 4 am, it may well be reasonable to eject me on the spot.
    In a house share a landlord would be allowed a considerable measure of latitude in deciding what is reasonable. It is their home and if there is incompatibility with a tenant they would not be expected to continue living with that person for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

I have lodgers. Their agreements state that I must give them 48 hours notice in normal circumstances or can throw them out immediately if they do anything illegal, including using or threatening to use violence against me or any other person in the house. 
    No problems so far with this from any lodgers I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I have lodgers. Their agreements state that I must give them 48 hours notice in normal circumstances or can throw them out immediately if they do anything illegal, including using or threatening to use violence against me or any other person in the house.

Well, you are mad to do so, 48 hours if someone uses violence and the fact you have given them rights they dont have.
    48 hours might be reasonable in reasonable circumstances, but what is reasonable or normal? violence or illegality is not.
    You have given them right to stay to include, that they can do anything including threaten you with violence and you would still let them stay 48 hours.
    Id have them out in as long as it took the Gardai to arrive in the case of violence, threats of it, or damage to my property or any of that to anyone else in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

cerastes wrote: »
    Well, you are mad to do so, 48 hours if someone uses violence and the fact you have given them rights they dont have.
    48 hours might be reasonable in reasonable circumstances, but what is reasonable or normal? violence or illegality is not.
    You have given them right to stay to include, that they can do anything including threaten you with violence and you would still let them stay 48 hours.
    Id have them out in as long as it took the Gardai to arrive in the case of violence, threats of it, or damage to my property or any of that to anyone else in the house.

Eh doesn't the post say 48 hours in normal circumstances but in the case of violence, anything illegal they are out immediately? Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I think you've misread my post. 
    If they do something illegal, including use of or threats of violence, they're out the door immediately. 
    They get 48 hours notice under normal circumstances.

virgo69 wrote: »

Eh doesn't the post say 48 hours in normal circumstances but in the case of violence, anything illegal they are out immediately?   Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.
    No, you're dead right. The other poster read it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

virgo69 wrote: »
    Eh doesn't the post say 48 hours in normal circumstances but in the case of violence, anything illegal they are out immediately? Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.
    I think you've misread my post.
    If they do something illegal, including use of or threats of violence, they're out the door immediately.
    They get 48 hours notice under normal circumstances.

I did read it wrong, I somehow misread that?? thought it said, if they threaten you they get 48 hours to leave :eek: must be tired !?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

She knew the score when she moved in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement