Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passive aggressive workplace bullying by my manager

Options
  • 31-01-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I'd like peoples opinion on this, I work in a target driven business, and and currently over-seeing a second "mini" office to our main office outaide the town, the targets are set for each month for my team and I and also set for a seperate "mini" office the same targets.

I am currently the longest staff member in our new office(18 months) other than manager who started a couple of weeks before me.

As most in management, my line manager can be very un-approachable, does not like anything said against him and really thrives on his "power" so to speak.

There are 9 staff now in the office that have the same job title as myself and get the same salary and don't do half as much work as I do. They don't have half as much pressure on them either. I have been working towards progressing myself in my career and am enjoying the extra responsibility so the pressure etc is not a problem.

My problem is the lack of appreciation and respect I STILL recieve from my manager.

Today he compared the work that I do with the work of the other mini office and stated that they had hit 3 more than my team over the target, and we only reached the target itself. I have been in target industries for most of my life so competition is healthy, but I have constantly raised concerns that I do not get given enough time with everything else I have to do in the main office to work properly towards the targets for the mini office also.

When he made a comparison today infront of the whole floor staff he added that maybe he should send that other team out to my office and switch us around, jokingly,,,,,maybe...
    This was shocking to hear as I have given everything to this office and the team overall and built it with him at the beginning, I said that if I had the extra time like those guys do I would meet expectation...he didnt like me speaking up..

A couple of hours went by, and I asked could I speak with him privately. I explained then tjat I didnt appreciate being pitted against other team members especially when they are not even in the company 2 months and it wasnt right. I said if he had a problem with my work at all he could speak to me in private about it and we can discuss things properly.

To this he replied "deal with it" and walked out of the room. I was infuriated and I walked out got my stuff and left.

He called me pn my phone and asked to meet me, aplogised for how he spoke to me and tried to build me up by saying that I'm doing a great job and he's been telling people at a higher level how well im doing etc.

To me this was him ****ting himself because I could of went higher about how he handled a concern I brought to him as this is not the first time he would have a complaint higher up about him.

I now feel that all of the work I have put in since I started was for nothing as he will quietly hold this against me and not allow me to progress, as he has played on my ambition since he knew I wanted to better myself, and now I feel I won't get that chance under him.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Hope this thread wasn't too long :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Where's the "bullying" part? You fell unappreciated and are speculating what might happen in the future? Look up the definition of bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Newbie29

davo10 wrote: »
    Where's the "bullying" part? You fell unappreciated and are speculating what might happen in the future? Look up the definition of bullying.

To make my thread any longer would of been heartbreak. He has manipulated me, shouted infront of clients and staff on a couple pf occasions, told me over the phone that "we are going to have a falling out" over absolutely nothing, if I went into detail the thread qould be quite long.

Thanks for your input in anyways, very creative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op I'm not trying to be creative (though your comment does indicate a heightened sensitivity to any opinion which differs from your own). It reads like you think you are better than the others and that you don't like being compared with colleagues there a shorter time. You opening post doesn't appear to be bullying, perhaps the additional information you have now provided gives your claim more credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Go up the chain of command and report him or just "deal with it". There's nothing else you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Newbie29 wrote: »
    ...I now feel that all of the work I have put in since I started was for nothing as he will quietly hold this against me and not allow me to progress, as he has played on my ambition since he knew I wanted to better myself, and now I feel I won't get that chance under him.

Any suggestions on what I should do?..

If hes never going to allow you to progress. And I agree hes not. Probably never had any intention. I would leave. Or move under a different manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Newbie29

Thanks for your replies everybody, good and bad.
    As I read my post back I see it it doesn't read very well, kinda got caught up in emotion as I was writing it.

Really appreciate your thoughts on it though.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Newbie29 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies everybody, good and bad.
    As I read my post back I see it it doesn't read very well, kinda got caught up in emotion as I was writing it.

Really appreciate your thoughts on it though.

Thanks again

Did you make plans and action to do anything about it.

Advertisement