Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Cheltenham Preview Night

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Paddy Power Preview Night that was on tonight

First Chunk of text are the bits of info from the call to W P Mullins

The panel includes Ruby Walsh, Davy Russell, David Jennings (RP), David Mullins, Gordon Elliot and Paddy Power.

Willie Mullins says Limini goes mares. VVM might go in the same.
    VVM in good form.
    Airlie Beach goes Mares Novice. Let's Dance might well go too.
    Bellshills first choice is RSA. Worked and jumped well yesterday.
    Bacardys goes Neptune 'at the moment'.
    Willie very hopeful for Yorkhill in the JLT. Pleased after Sunday.
    Un De Sceaux will stay up the hill in the Ryanair. Willie has no doubt.
    Nichols Canyon may run in the Stayers. Worked well yesterday. Clondaw Warrior has an ew chance if ground dries.
    Willie not happy with Meri De Vie. A doubt.
    Willie not confident he'll beat Death Duty.
    Djaladam in 'great order'.

Ruby says it's not confirmed he rides Melon. Heard today Neon Wolf might go in the Supreme.
    DJ says we're guessing as to how good Melon is. Bunk Off Early has the form in the book. High Bridge has an ew squeak.
    RW thinks Willie will win Supreme. Not sure which one. Can't compare Melon to previous Supreme winners after 1 run.
    PP says if Ruby's rumour is true and Neon Wolf runs in Supreme it'll turn the market on its head.
    RW says Augusta Kate, Augustin, Penhill and Livelovelaugh just a few of Willies in the Albert Bartlett.
    RW says Death Duty looks bombproof.
    RW says Altior is head and shoulders above the competition. Thinks there'll only 6 or 7 runners. Value in the w/o market with Royal Caviar.
    Gordon thinks Altior in the Arkle, Yorkhill in the JLT and no big opinion in RSA.
    DR thinks Altior looks spectacular. Whisper would prefer RSA.
    DMullins thinks Altior might be caught if he has a look at the first few fences in the Arkle. Sys Disko has a right chance in the JLT.
    Ruby making it hard work for Ivan Yates. Not afraid of anything in the JLT for Yorkhill.
    DR says West Approach runs in the RSA.
    RW thinks if ground dry Might Bite will win RSA. If soft Acapella Bourgeois!
    DMullins v excited to ride Brain Power in Champion Hurdle. DR likes Yanworth.
    Gordon likes Yanworth. A bit worried about Petit Mouchoir up on the pace.
    RW doesn't know what he'll ride in Champion Hurdle. Petit Mouchoir has a shot. Yanworth a strong stayer and has a right chance.
    Why wasn't Limini supplemented? asks Ivan Yates. Ruby says Willie didn't answer the question 20 minutes ago, why the f*ck would I?
    RW having a go at Ivan Yates for asking why he would take Special Tiara on for the lead with Douvan. GE thinks Douvans a good thing
    RW says Un De Sceaux will stay! Davy reminds us it was raining in Cheltenham last night. 'Did you not see my video on t'internet Ivan??'
    Ruby thinks UDS should be 6/4!
    If GE had his way he'd run Empire of Dirt in the GC but he's running in the Ryanair at the minute. Thinks UDS will win.
    DR cagey on where Zabana will run. Schooling in the morning and decision will be made. Hopefully he won't end up on his arse at the start.
    DMullins to ride Sub Lieutenant if Cooper rides Empire of Dirt. Says question mark over of UDS on nice ground over 2m5f.

Is Jezki another Solwhit? - D Jennings
    RW doesn't know what to make of Shaneshill.
    RW says Nichols Canyon needs to keep working as well as he worked yesterday to go.
    GE likes Unowhatimeanharry. Hasn't done much wrong of late.
    DR thinks the only thing that will beat Unowhatimeanharry is an Irish horse.
    GE slightly worried about the Irish Juveniles beating each other this season. Likes Defi Du Seuil
    RW says Baupaume is the no 1 from Willies. Mega Fortune has a squeak now Davy's figured out how to ride him!
    DJ says Defi Du Seuil is a good thing.
    DJ thinks Long Call has a right chance in the Fred Winter.
    PP plums for Native River in the GC!
    DJ says the first horse he discounts is Native River. Says Willie is unusually bullish about Djakadam.
    DJ says Djakadam will win, More Of That is one at a big price.
    RW says the 11yo stat re Cue Card is breakable but this year he has been 50:50. Native River is an improver. Djak in wonderful form.
    RW says he gave Djakadam ran too free at Christmas and he gave him a shocker.
    GE says Don Poli might struggle. Question whether Outlander will stay. Will be ridden to do so
    DR thinks Sizing John is the class horse in the race. Likes Outlander. Would love another chance on Don Poli.
    DMullins rides Champagne West and thinks he could run a big race if the ground has a cut in it. Likes Cue Card.
    GE says Cause of Causes in great form for the X Country. Hoping for good ground.
    Diamond King needs good ground. Has had a wind op since last run.
    DJ thinks Champers on Ice has a squeak in the Kim Muir, Druids Nephew, Tully East and loads of others!
    PP likes Starchitecht. DR like Le Prezien.
    Charity bets:
    DR On Ruby Walsh in the Mares Nov
    GE The Storyteller
    DJ Long Call RW Yankee: Long Call, Mega Fortune, Whisper, Diamond King!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Fair play Copper Pipe , your filling the thread single handed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Copper pipe for Mod !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Haha, some effort copper pipe but seriously could you read into anything that panel would tell you, i'm sure the haydock park one is more informative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Haha, some effort copper pipe but seriously could you read into anything that panel would tell you, i'm sure the haydock park one is more informative

Only that Ruby is an arsehole.

• Advertisement

pugw wrote: »
    Are the Daniel Watkins notes around this year? Always a great read

Here you go

https://lapoftheodds.com/2017/03/08/daniel-watkins-cheltenham-guide-2017/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Mr Jinx wrote: »

I was there last night and can back up that.
    He was as cantankerous as Ive ever heard him. He was lashing out at Ivan Yeats every chance he got "do your homework Ivan", or "you obviously know how to ride Douvan better than me". Non stop all-night. Even Russell was joining in at the pops at Ivan, which after a while the audience became unsettled with as it wasnt funny. In fairness, Ivan came back at them and said "everything I say is punctuated with a question mark, you guys are the experts" which brought a round of applause from a relieved audience, who were fed up with the attacks.

Few things that grabbed my attention:
    * Ive never heard such an intense conversation about the Fred Winter. Jennings is all over Long Call, Russell having none of it. I had no interest in the Fred Winter up until last night, now I cant wait.
    * Ruby very sweet on UDS, should be a 6/4 shot, too slow for Champion Chase.
    * I noticed Gordon Elliotts short but revealing response when probed about Mick Jazz in the County ; "I like him, yeah I like him". His body language suggested he was very sweet on him indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

Paddy Power Preview Night that was on tonight

Nichols Canyon may run in the Stayers. Worked well yesterday. Clondaw Warrior has an ew chance if ground dries.

Comments re Nichols Canyon are interesting. They seem to have changed their tune. 12/1 NRNB with betfair looks value, any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Davy Russell must have done nearly every preview night in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

He was as cantankerous as Ive ever heard him. He was lashing out at Ivan Yeats every chance he got "do your homework Ivan", or "you obviously know how to ride Douvan better than me". Non stop all-night. Even Russell was joining in at the pops at Ivan, which after a while the audience became unsettled with as it wasnt funny. In fairness, Ivan came back at them and said "everything I say is punctuated with a question mark, you guys are the experts" which brought a round of applause from a relieved audience, who were fed up with the attacks.

* Ive never heard such an intense conversation about the Fred Winter. Jennings is all over Long Call, Russell having none of it. I had no interest in the Fred Winter up until last night, now I cant wait.
    * I noticed Gordon Elliotts short but revealing response when probed about Mick Jazz in the County ; "I like him, yeah I like him". His body language suggested he was very sweet on him indeed.

Very interesting re mick jazz considering he's moved Tombstone from the county to the coral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Johner wrote: »
    Davy Russell must have done nearly every preview night in Ireland.

Davy Russell is always in a car no further than a mile away from any preview night across the 26 counties :D waiting on the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Mr Jinx wrote: »

You didn't know that already?.......

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Was at a preview night last Friday and when Martin was quizzed about Long Call he started going off on a tangent and said he would be going to Liverpool.......on route to Cheltenham, he didnt want to talk about the horse at all and Jennings kept at him, Russell playing down a horse basically means he fancies him, he doesn't talk about the fancied ones

Martin also told us to back Golden Spear for Sandown and he's now been pulled from the race:mad:

If you asked Martin if today is Thursday he'd tell you it's Monday, 1987. He doesn't talk. His money does on the day of the race. If he has one going there you can be damn sure it will go in perfect condition and ready to run. Stable form a bit of a concern though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

BumperD wrote: »
    If you asked Martin if today is Thursday he'd tell you it's Monday, 1987. He doesn't talk. His money does on the day of the race. If he has one going there you can be damn sure it will go in perfect condition and ready to run. Stable form a bit of a concern though.

7 wins from 183 runners is a little more than a ''bit of a concern'', you couldn't back one of his right now. Although he has sent out 2 winners from 11 runners in the UK and Long Call was one of those.

danganabu wrote: »
    7 wins from 183 runners is a little more than a ''bit of a concern'', you couldn't back one of his right now. Although he has sent out 2 winners from 11 runners in the UK and Long Call was one of those.

I try to avoid sensational language:)

"His stable has the Black Death " :)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

His association with PP is worryingly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Few notes from the Preview in Aintree on Monday 6th March
    Panel was Ben Pauling, Charlie Longsdon, Andy Holding (Oddschecker) and John Parrott.
    Mostly routine stuff but a few interesting points:
    AH said Ballyandy was his banker of the meeting as his speed figure when winning at Newbury was the best in the field and Movewithhetimes produced the second best figure in the same race. BP then pointed out that when viruses get into yards they can spread very quickly. For those that don't know, Nigel Twiston-Davies and Fergal O'Brien basically share the same stable - FOB has the upper yard and NTD has the lower. NTD's last winner was on 11th Feb (actually it was Ballyandy) and he is 0 from 45 since. FOB's last winner was 17th Feb and he is 0 from 14 since. That suggested to BP the yards had problems and he wouldn't back a horse from either until they start having winners again. AH said he had missed those stats and might have to revise his opinion (which would leave Movewiththetimes).
    AH said his lay of the meeting was Defi du Seul in the Triumph as his speed figures have been average at best and he would have to step up markedly on anything he has done so far to be involved.
    The panel were joined briefly by the owner of Cause Toujours who was very bullish about his horse's chances in the Bumper. He said he worked last week with North Hill Harvey & Mister Mayagi and all finished upsides. What interested me was that he said, out of the three, Harry Skelton rode Cause Toujours.
    BP said A Hares Breadth would have a decent ew chance in the Arkle at a big price. The horse would let Altior and Charbel get on with it and stay out the back and hope to run on into a place. Only problem was he thought 3 or 4 others would have the same plan. He also expected Willoughby Court to run well in the Neptune and AH said that horse had put up good speed figures.
    CL said Our Kaempfer would probably go for the RSA as he needs holding up and would have more chance of a clear late run in that race than in a big field handicap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Nichols Canyon looks like he's had enough, been flogged to be honest. Don't think a Ricci horse would have been treated the way he is, not one with 7 Grade 1s anyway. But even at that, it would be some act of contempt for the horse to send it over 3 miles at Cheltenham for the first time. And they already have Shaneshill, more nonsense Id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

They ran NC over 3 miles in the states last year, finished 3rd with Shaneshill 2nd. Nice bonus if the winner could win the stayers too.

EICVD wrote: »
    They ran NC over 3 miles in the states last year, finished 3rd with Shaneshill 2nd. Nice bonus if the winner could win the stayers too.

Rawnaq misses Cheltenham due to injury but the winner of the Sun Bets Stayers' Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival, will now be qualified to run for the half million-dollar bonus at Nashville's Iroquois Steeplechase on Saturday, May 13.

Win the Stayers' Hurdle and the Iroquois Hurdle Stakes in Nashville, USA, in May, or vice versa, within a 12-month time span and gain a $500,000 bonus. With combined purses and bonus, a horse completing the Challenge could earn close to $1 million.

That's serious cash for a 3 mile hurdler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Elliott " I draw a line through Neon Wolf , why didn't Willie buy him ?"

Was this just tongue in cheek or what? Not sure what to make of it.

Tempted to back Neon for the Neptune ante-post as I reckon Ruby was talking out his arse saying he said he heard a rumour it was running in the Supreme.

Not saying there's no chance of it running in the Supreme, just think Ruby is full of it.

Harry phones in at the start of this preview:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Stacksey wrote: »
    Was at a preview night last Friday and when Martin was quizzed about Long Call he started going off on a tangent and said he would be going to Liverpool.......on route to Cheltenham, he didnt want to talk about the horse at all and Jennings kept at him, Russell playing down a horse basically means he fancies him, he doesn't talk about the fancied ones

Martin also told us to back Golden Spear for Sandown and he's now been pulled from the race:mad:
    Man is an absolute rogue, why does he bother doing these things if he is just going to tell lies?

As for Long Call, it might be a nice horse, but at just 7/1 now I wouldn't be backing it. Favourites don't have a great record in the Fred Winter. I know Sancutaire won a few years back as favourite, but it was a totally unexposed novice that went on to be a top horse. Long Call on the other hand was well beaten by Master Blueyes, a horse that is rated 150 and looked every bit a stone ahead of it as the ratings suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Eloquently put.

One stupendously loquacious man:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxNnJYziMY

https://cheltenham.olbg.com/

olbg preview should be starting in the next few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Coral preview for anyone that missed it earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/coral/videos/1689147014434236/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Preview night in Trim tonight
    Tonight's Panel - Matt Chapman (MC), Gordon Elliott, Gary O'Brien, Davy Russell & Robbie Power

Updates here : https://twitter.com/Champdotie

Main bits i see so far

Gordon Elliott " Spoke to David Pipe today and he's in two minds to run in the Champion Hurdle with Moonracer"
    Russell "Bunk Off Early by Zebadee won't get up the hill"
    Gary and Gordon like Movewiththetimes each way #SupremeNovices
    Davy Russell " Limini can't win a Champion Hurdle"
    Gordon Elliott " I'd be worried for Petit Mouchoir from the back of the last "
    Gordon like's Yanworth.
    Robbie Power "Petit Mouchoir will lead till the turn in & will fall in a hole"
    Neptune- Chapman "Spoke to Fehily the other day & he was absolutely wetting himself" ����#NeonWolf #CheltenhamFestival
    Elliott " I draw a line through Neon Wolf , why didn't Willie buy him ?"
    RSA Chase - Elliott & Russell strong on Alpha Des Obeaux
    Puppy Power " If ground is soft Acapella Borgeois has a huge chance"

Gary O'Brien " Noble Endeavour I like on day one "
    Gordon Elliott " Runfordave at 16/1"
    Gary O'Brien " In the bumper Mags Mullins horse Debuchet worked very well today and runs"

Gordon Elliott if the ground keeps drying out "Jamie Codd will ride Tiger Roll in the four miler " 25/1

EDIT:
    Davy Russell " Yorkhill was erratic today at Leopardtown & might even be fitted with a hood " #JLT #Chetenham
    Gary O'Brien " I really like Disko" #JLT
    Robbie Power " The 4th last fence at Cheltenham has Yorkhill name written all over it " doesn't like him #Yorkhill #JLT
    Gordon Elliott " If Yorkhill jumps he wins "
    Ryanair - Elliott " If I'd my way I'd send Empire of Dirt Gold Cup" Elliott " If Michael keeps writing the cheques I'll keep kissing his shoes "
    "Uxizandre is a super bet ew" Matt Chapman #RyanairChase
    World Hurdle - Robbie Power " Jezki has been absolutely flying at home since Gowran , class horse in the race serious chance"
    Matt Chapman " Mega Fortune is rubbish"
    Matt Chapman "Defi Du Seuil should be two's on , lump"
    Gordon Elliott " At this stage Duty Duty is the best novice hurdler I've ever trained"
    Davy Russell "I just think Death Duty is the most gorgeous horse"
    Gordon Elliott " At this stage in his career he's better than Don Cossack , No more heroes "
    Elliott " Outlander I don't think will stay " #GoldCup
    Robbie Power " I think if Sizing John stays he wins, all his work at home suggests he will, his breeding says he will" #GoldCup
    Robbie Power "My danger is Djakadam, went well today at Leopardstown " #GoldCup
    Davy Russell " Very open year & I can see it being a simular to finish to the year I won it on Lord Windermere, very open"
    Russell forecast "Djakadam followed by Sizing John" #GoldCup
    Davy Russell " Peregrine Run & Blazer well treated in handicaps" #CheltenhamFestival
    Robbie Power " Rock the World will go well " #GrandAnnual #CheltenhamFestival

Charity bets ....
    Russell -€200 UnknowhatImeanharry
    Puppy Power- €200 Sizing John #GoldCup
    Gordon Elliott gets an extra €100 free bet on a David Pipe horse & selects Champers On Ice wherever it goes #Cheltenham #Pipe #Elliott
    Gordon Elliott - €100 ew The Storyteller 9/2 #CheltFest
    Matt Chapman - €200 Defi Du Seuil

Underlined text maybe worth noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 peterp2017

Well lads i have a bit of info from Barry Geraghty and Davy Russell
    This info is from the childerns hospital they visit every year and leave a list of horses to raise funds and that.
    These where left little while ago as you can see some horses have been re routed to other races and others are not running.
    Long Call on the list which says is the best ride for davy of the festival means hes full of **** after comments on here of him playing down the horses chances.

i cant post urls as i am a new user but if anyone would like the list i will send in PM
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dave81

Good man Peter. If you send it to me I'll try and post the link up. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I do believe if you check the previews that Alan king called it that Douvan came up out of rubys hands and he didn't like it, some call from him, reason not to listen to irish centric previews with davy, patrick and gordon, have they tipped a winner in the 20 previews they done?

JJ Codd gave Fayonagh and Labaik a mention in the ATR preview

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

djPSB wrote: »
    Underlined text maybe worth noting.

Wow, there was some good pointers in those charity bets. Hindsight is a great thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement