Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regular disturbing nightmares/see a doctor?

Options
  • 01-02-2017 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Okay, to start ever since I can remember I have always had incredibly vivid dreams. I have also been able to remember them in detail and its genuinely hard to distinguish between dreams and reality when I have one.

This can be terrifying, sometimes I don't no if im awake or asleep, I also experience sleep paralysis, I actually experienced it today during a nap, i was stuck to the bed, couldn't move and there was an owl with red eyes perched on my door staring at me, with an overwhelming feeling of dread and despair.

The last few years Ive experienced increasingly unpleasant nightmares/dreams in general, so much so its upsets me when I wake or makes me mad or disgusted, some of the stuff is so outlandish and crazy its unbelievable.

One recent dream for example, two guys who I know of, but don't talk too or interact with on any level were in a street fight and one starts winning, when he gets on top he starts biting the others face, this is extremely violent and graphic, there is blood everywhere and all this is happening in a boxing ring for some reason...

Anyway the guy whos biting sees me watching and he and his friends start chasing me away, I then get transported to a car and they follow and keep pace on foot, it was genuinely unsettling, a real fear of being harmed, I just couldn't lose them.

I have tons of experiences like this and its getting more regular, its starting to affect me to be honest, not looking for medical advice but would it be worth saying it to my GP?

Would they be able to even do anything to help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

You could say it I your GP but my first guess is that they won't be able to do anything about it. See a sleep therapist maybe. I'm sure they'd have better knowledge of what you're going through.

One thing I noticed, though it may not be able to help you, is that I always have nightmares and sleep paralysis when I sleep on my back. Might it be something to do with your sleeping position?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Don't drink tea or coffee after 6pm. Don't eat cheese after 6pm. Buy sleep therapy balm. Put a bit on temples and on inside of wrists. Good night sleep without nightmares guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

The Dr will not have any answer. The scientific community doesn't even know why we dream, and most sleep aids and medications in general cause more vivid dreams.

Do you get much exercise? I find it helps with getting better sleep, along with the diet tips mentioned above. Actually try not to eat at all near bedtime.

There are also huge amounts of meditations and hypnosis for peaceful sleep aids on YouTube you can try listening to before falling asleep.

Advertisement