Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Canes

Options
  • 01-02-2017 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought a number of raspberry canes at the start of December. They came bare root and in a plastic bin liner.

Of course I put them in the garage and forgot about them.

Are they gone at this stage? I was kind of thinking they might be OK. Should I take the risk and plant them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Hi,

Bought a number of raspberry canes at the start of December. They came bare root and in a plastic bin liner.

Of course I put them in the garage and forgot about them.

Are they gone at this stage? I was kind of thinking they might be OK. Should I take the risk and plant them?

Plant away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Soak them in a bucket of water for a few hours before planting and then water well, should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Thanks for that. Any advice on layout?

I am planting 30 canes, space is not a problem but would like to keep a single row.

I was planning on running a wire fence with 15 each side at 18 inch gaps but stagger one side 9 inches ahead of the other.

I could do two fences, but how much of a gap should I leave in the middle to avoid too much shade?

Direction was what was getting me through. I was thinking one side facing east, one side west to get best sunlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I dont think raspberries are too fussy about sunlight so dont worry about shade. Think about access for picking fruit and also take into account that they tend to spread out with underground root system. You can establish new plants this way or weed them out and keep original plants going.

Would you think then that 18 inches would be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Would you think then that 18 inches would be ok?

You will probably have a few duds - I'd plant out about a foot apart but be prepared to have a few gaps at that

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

I forgot to cut my canes back last year, is there any point in doing it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes if only for a tidy up. New shoots/fruit will come from the fresh stems formed after fruiting last year. The old canes should be obvious as look woody and dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I stuck down a raspberry plant from Aldi last year. Forgot about it. Then got loads of fruit in August/Sep.

I was out in the garden earlier, and OMG there are loads of suckers springing up now. I don't know whether to leave them, or transplant them.

The fruit was lovely but soft and I just flung them into the freezer and made smoothies and used them on the porridge. Too lazy to make cakes. LOL.

My plants are in about a month...don't think I am seeing any activity. Should I be at this stage, it hasn't been that warm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

My plants are in about a month...don't think I am seeing any activity. Should I be at this stage, it hasn't been that warm?

Mine are up and growing. Have a little gentle dig down to see if there's any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

You really need to keep the ground soaked for some activity if you havent been

Its the one thing I have been doing, very heavy on the water.

Advertisement