Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2017

Options
  • 01-02-2017 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

As a regular visitor to the US for holidays, recent events since the inauguration of Mr. Trump make feel uneasy about travelling there this year. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you have an Irish passport, you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

As a regular visitor to the US for holidays, recent events since the inauguration of Mr. Trump make feel uneasy about travelling there this year. Any thoughts?

What is making you feel uneasy?

I am going in August to see the solar eclipse, and what has happened since President Trump came to office changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I dont understand why you'd see travelling to the US as an issue.

Their crackdown on terror is the most hilarous thing ever, considering 1000s are killed by americans each year, and more probably killed by lightening or choking on fish bones (or exhaustion from standing in queues at US immigration) than actually murdered by terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Any thoughts?

Stay home. Discover Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Their crackdown on terror is the most hilarous thing ever, considering 1000s are killed by americans each year, and more probably killed by lightening or choking on fish bones (or exhaustion from standing in queues at US immigration) than actually murdered by terrorists.

+1 and this is currently going through Congress......

The US House of Representatives has voted to remove an Obama-era regulation on background checks that aimed to prevent the mentally ill from obtaining firearms.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0203/849796-gun-background-checks-us-politics/

So expect more shootings similar to Columbine and Sandy Hook. Nut cases with guns - where's the problem? Sure isn't it a Constitutional right?

Trump complains about the number of murders in Chicago, the cops there have repeatedly said that the major problem is the ease with which guns can be purchased in adjacent (Republican controlled) states and then transported into Illinois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Can you expand on what makes you feel uneasy?
    If it's the travel ban......Trump would be removed/impeached/worse if he ever attempted to expand the ban to include western european countries.
    If it's the media coverage of riots etc.......don't believe everything you see.....there have been a few incidents across the country that have ended in violence.....but very few....I live and work in a major city, and have not had to avoid any riots. The majority of these incidents start with planned protests, that are well advertised in local media and on facebook......so the chances of getting caught up in one without wanting to are extremely slim.....just avoid any planned protests.
    We are not about to break out in civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hughes81

I'm just back from NY and have booked to go to Orlando in May. I'm not at all uneasy about it.

If it's the increased risk of terrorism you are nervous about, you only have to look at the attacks in Europe recently to see that the US isn't alone in being targeted.
    I read this morning that Spain is the latest country to be on extra alert.

If it's domestic disturbances in the major US cities, Rockonollie is spot on - much of it is magnified by the media. Just take the usual precautions and if a protest is planned in the area you are in, avoid it.
    I'm sure if you're staying in a decent hotel, they will advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I've just returned from 2 weeks and the only noticeable difference is that there appeared to be a higher armed police presence in the major airports.

If we were to take the view that the US is under an increased risk of terrorism, we wouldn't set foot outside out front doors.

Just exercise the same caution as you normally would when away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

I am a dual Irish and Pakistani Citizen, I have Irish Passport and have been to the state 2 times and have stamps in my passport, i am required to travel by my company for business purposes and have got ESTA clearance.
    But i want to know whether I can be stopped from travelling at Pre-clearance if the guy who is clearing me is not in a good mood?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

anyone can be prevented from traveling by CBP, it's at their discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yes, but not solely on the word of an individual immigration officer surely?

If the officer interviewing you has a problem and wants to deny travel then they'd have to at least consult a supervisor I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

they are denying people entry just because they dont like them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

4real wrote: »
    they are denying people entry just because they dont like them

Do you have anything to back that claim up?

Advertisement