Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass growth

Options
  • 01-02-2017 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My lawns are looking quite tatty at this stage, there has been fair growth over winter.

I usually use St.Patrik's day as a yardstick to commence mowing.

Has anyone cut lawns already? Advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Cut mine 2 weeks ago. Usually mulch but it was too long so I had to borrow a regular lawnmower n collect it. Looks good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gonna leave it alone for another while, don't wanna have it destroyed by a bad dose of frost. Looks rough but I do know others cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Gonna leave it alone for another while, don't wanna have it destroyed by a bad dose of frost. Looks rough but I do know others cutting

What makes you think frost will destroy it?, it won't BTW, grass is one of the toughest plants there is and as long as you don't scalp it, i.e. cut it too short then it'll be fine, and even if you did cut it too short this time of year frost wouldn't damage it, it would be lack of growth and nutrients that would give it a yellow appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Cut mine 1st week of December ,had grown a little since but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Just gave mine a top cut. I found it very useful to see how the lawn is doing and figuring out what this year's plan of attack will be. I was quite happy, not too many weeds left and couldn't see much moss... Just some areas that are a bit yellow, will get some feed now... Unfortunately the wild grasses hadn't magically disappeared over the winter...Another summer of heartache coming up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cut mine yesterday, the grass was close on six inches long in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

We sowed new front lawn in autumn (late September). Is it ok to cut it now or better to wait few more weeks?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the forecast for next week. Definitely wait!

Advertisement