Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord/Council/Selling

Options
  • 01-02-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    Sorry if posted in wrong thread, new to site

Just looking for some advice or info.
    I have been living in a landlords house for 8 years now and he has notified me that for financial reasons he will be selling the house, im really devastated as i have made this house my home and raised my 2 boys here. I have been on the housing list for 11 years and there is approx 50 in front of me for housing and have been told that because of a shortage of houses i wont be moving into one anytime soon, more than likely another few years. So now i am at risk of becoming homeless.

My question is can my landlord sell the house to the council and myself remain a tenant?

I am in my second year of college and kids are well settled in school, renting in dublin again will not be an option as rent rates are ridiculous so i will have to try get rent supplement in the country and the move will force me to drop out of college.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Knjm2112 wrote: »
    Hi

My question is can my landlord sell the house to the council and myself remain a tenant?

The council can bid for it on the open market, but I have seen councils reject very fairly priced houses as they saw them as overpriced even though they weren't. The landlord will want to get top money for his property and the council probably won't pay that

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Knjm2112

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The council can bid for it on the open market, but I have seen councils reject very fairly priced houses as they saw them as overpriced even though they weren't. The landlord will want to get top money for his property and the council probably won't pay that

But if he was to accept an offer they made could i remain a tenant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Knjm2112 wrote: »
    But if he was to accept an offer they made could i remain a tenant?

No. It would go to the person at the top of the list if they went by the book

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Could you buy the house?

I'm not sure why you expect the Council to buy you a house?

The short answer is no. If your landlord wants to sell the house he is entitled to do so.

Could you travel up from the Country to college?

I'm afraid that's life unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

OP, you can always suggest it but he will sell the house to the highest bidder and even the council bought it, would you be the automatic tenant? Do you think maybe your landlord might be able to help you secure housing elsewhere? If he is willing to give you a strong reference maybe that will help.

That's not very helpful or nice. Would it kill you to be either?
    Could you buy the house?

I'm not sure why you expect the Council to buy you a house?

The short answer is no. If your landlord wants to sell the house he is entitled to do so.

Could you travel up from the Country to college?

I'm afraid that's life unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Lux23 wrote: »
    OP, you can always suggest it but he will sell the house to the highest bidder and even the council bought it, would you be the automatic tenant? Do you think maybe your landlord might be able to help you secure housing elsewhere? If he is willing to give you a strong reference maybe that will help.

That's not very helpful or nice. Would it kill you to be either?

I'm sorry.

It wasnt meant to be rude. It's reality.

Just because you are on a housing list doesnt mean the Council are going to swan in and buy you a house of your choosing.

Being nice doesnt extend to condoning delusional fantasies.

Advertisement