Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting subtitles on wedding video

Options
  • 01-02-2017 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

Quick question which forum members may be able to help me with. I am getting married in the next few weeks and have a videographer hired to create a wedding video for us. I booked him ages ago but stupidly forgot to ask him if subtitles could be put on the video as my fiance's parents are deaf. The videographer has come back to say he does not know of an automatic way to do this and it would be a very time consuming and expensive process. So I'm wondering if anybody knows how this can be done, what is the easiest way and if anyone knows any companies that do it in Ireland?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi,

Quick question which forum members may be able to help me with. I am getting married in the next few weeks and have a videographer hired to create a wedding video for us. I booked him ages ago but stupidly forgot to ask him if subtitles could be put on the video as my fiance's parents are deaf. The videographer has come back to say he does not know of an automatic way to do this and it would be a very time consuming and expensive process. So I'm wondering if anybody knows how this can be done, what is the easiest way and if anyone knows any companies that do it in Ireland?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Joe
    I have seen it done before but just for the main vows and the speeches..I have no idea how it was done..in total it was about half an hour of dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

What format is the videographer using for the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 romanticjoe

Yes if we could get the vows and then the speeches subtitled then that would be all we need really so might be an hour but that would be it. I'd resort to doing it myself when we get the DVD if needs be as I imagine there is a way of doing it with the correct software

KOR101 wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure but I will check with him to see what format the video is when finished and I'll let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If you're getting it on DVD / Bluray then it might be an option to rip it, then use the programs listed here.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/subtitles-text-editor-aegisub/

If the videographer refused to do it, ask for a "soft copy" of the video (mp4, etc).

• Advertisement

me_irl wrote: »
    If you're getting it on DVD / Bluray then it might be an option to rip it, then use the programs listed here.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/subtitles-text-editor-aegisub/

If the videographer refused to do it, ask for a "soft copy" of the video (mp4, etc).

Thanks me_irl, I've looked at that tool and looks like a fairly straight forward tool to use. I suppose there is no way around the time it takes to create the subtitles. Just need to figure out how to burn the MP4 file with the subtitles file to a DVD after
    KOR101 wrote: »
    KOR101, just spoke to the viedographer and the soft copy will be mp4 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Thanks me_irl, I've looked at that tool and looks like a fairly straight forward tool to use. I suppose there is no way around the time it takes to create the subtitles. Just need to figure out how to burn the MP4 file with the subtitles file to a DVD after

KOR101, just spoke to the viedographer and the soft copy will be mp4 1080p

The ceremony words will probably be in the mass leaflet? so you could already have them typed up as an .srt (subtitles)file before you get the video, plus you could ask people for a copy of their speeches, most people would have it written down anyway. The turnaround of the videographer will be at least a week one would assume, that gives you ample time to type up the .srt file before you get the mp4.

Suggest to the videographer that you could create the .srt file yourself (after you get the mp4) and send it to him and he can just burn it onto the dvd's along with the wedding.

The ceremony words will probably be in the mass leaflet? so you could already have them typed up as an .srt (subtitles)file before you get the video, plus you could ask people for a copy of their speeches, most people would have it written down anyway. The turnaround of the videographer will be at least a week one would assume, that gives you ample time to type up the .srt file before you get the mp4.

Great idea with having it typed already... but synching (timestamping) the text will take up most of your time after receiving the video.

Even for unscripted events (like someone shouting out in the background) will have to be put in the video (depending!).

me_irl wrote: »
    Great idea with having it typed already... but synching (timestamping) the text will take up most of your time after receiving the video.

Even for unscripted events (like someone shouting out in the background) will have to be put in the video (depending!).

I don't think you would need that much detail in the file, OP stated that both recipients are deaf, as opposed to hard of hearing. So laughter, shout outs and general background conversations wont be heard either ways ( hope that makes sense). It's the ceremony and speeches that count.
    Yes it could be a little time consuming but could be done in a day, easy.

• Advertisement

Thanks all!

Yes I think I will get him to send over the MP4 and then I'll use the aegisub tool as suggested above to create the subtitles file and I can provide this back to the videographer to burn with the DVD. The subtitles just need to cover dialogue and dont take any other noise into consideration.
    Just wondering what way that tool works with a dvd that has a menu and chapters if anyone has any experience?

You can add subtitles / create the dvd using DVDFlick.

http://www.dvdflick.net/guide/index_en.html

Do they (parents) use sign language? could be an idea if you knew someone who can sign, to sign the required text and overlay them in the corner of the final dvd (not for all copies obviously). would be easier and quicker.

Also do they need a dvd at all? could you put it on a usb for them?, even handier.

Yes sign language is their method of communication. I think I have it down now, between aegisub tool and DVDFlick I'll be able to get them a copy of the video with subtitles so panic over. Thanks all for the assistance!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Having shot video at a deaf wedding before, the couple chose to have a sign reader present. She was there all day. I brought an extra camera and merely re ran the original edit to include her for ceremony and speeches.

Short of an extra camera and re processing the whole thing again, it was a very easy extra for me and consequently, I didn't charge the couple.

Would you consider this and consult with your videographer?

You only get married once and it'd be nice to do it right the first time around.

Subtitling the video yourself will be a significant pain in the ass.

Advertisement