Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quote for insulating one room

• 01-02-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, I own an old house in North Co Dublin that has some damp and insulation / ventilation issues.
    I have a builder who has done a few smaller jobs for me in the past, I checked his quotes against others at the time and found that he was roughly in line with the others (aside from a few wild-card suspiciously low quotes) He was also the most communicative of them all and happy to discuss the work at length over the phone. (I am based in UK at the moment)
    But right now I have the following quote from him:
    -insulating (not sure which kind) one very small room which is very damp. (kind of an added on bit at the back of the house) Replacing and insulating the ceiling here, also replacing the light socket and light  switch, all in this room.
    - Replacing two very small windows, bathroom and toilet.
    - Adding vents to three other existing windows.

The quote for the above is 5K+
    As I say, I have been happy with his work in the past and with how his quotes have compared to others, however he is getting a bit tetchy with being questioned and is slow to come up with a more detailed breakdown. He does prefer to be able to meet in person and to show and explain the work, but that's not possible at the moment.
    Would anyone in the know care to comment?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

First up is how small is small: Sean Dunne's idea of small and my idea of small are going to be different. :)

Has the add-on a flat roof?
    How old is it?
    Is house occupied?

Small windows could be 300 each, fitted.
    when you say replacing bathroom and toilet what is involved?

Second, and perhaps more importantly, I think the approach is wrong here as you make no mention of how the damp will be addressed..
    Adding vents to windows, is, IMhO, a waste of money.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liverpool lou

Hi Calahonda 52, thanks for your comments
    Sorry I wasn't clear there, by bathroom and toilet I just meant the two small windows are in the bathroom and toilet - not bathroom and toilet replacement. 
    Actually I can't comment on whether the roof is flat or not, it's been so long since I was there. 
    Small here is really tiny, it's basically a utility room with just about enough space for a washing machine and drier.
    Yes I'm afraid I don't have much of a clue re building and so far haven't been enlightened much - I've been given to understand that a lot of the issues in the house are due to inadequate ventilation and insulation - the central heating basically drawing moisture in, would that make sense?
    Yes the house is occupied at the moment (rented ), it has not had any empty periods.
    In a way I would prefer to believe that this quote is reasonable (would rather have a trustworthy builder as I had thought) but it seems a lot - just reading on here - and with the lack of info / breakdown, it's hard to feel reassured.
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liverpool lou

Oh yes, by the way the house is around 150 years old but not sure how old the add-on utility rooms is
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

get more quotes and see how they compare.

your biggest issue is that you arnt specing the job. its a pig in a bag as such. you need to maje sure that all the quotes are for the same work.

find out what the work is then get back to us and we can comment on value

Advertisement